1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I just saw JR Smith's contract has a 15% trade kicker too, but I could still tolerate JR Smith even though he is a bonehead...but Felton is just so worthless. But I agree I would be pretty happy with that deal too. The offense would be pretty insane if it all clicks.

2. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

A guy like Paul George can't guard both Harden and Anthony, he would have to pick his poison.. while the other one lights it up.. not to mention when one goes to the bench we would still have a scorer on the floor at all times

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

No to Smith! If people feel like there isn't going to be enough shots in a Harden-Howard-Melo trio, adding JR to the fold would be a disaster. Smith is one of those guys that needs to be on one year deals only. Nothing longer than a year and you're asking for trouble. No, just on to Smith.

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

In my opinion a Howard-Harden-Anthony trio can be the most deadly and effective than any trio in the NBA even Miami's Big Three.

When the Lebron, Wade and Bosh got together there were a lot of question to how they would fit. Particularly Wade and LeBron as both, before joining the Heat, were extremely high usage players and were too similar to the fact that they both weren't great shooters and needed the ball to be effective. Of course when those two player are hall of fame talents and in LeBron's case, GOAT conversation worthy, it all fit in very well in the end as we are seeing today.

But I don't see that type problem with fit with a Howard-Harden-Anthony trio. Offensively, each star has an area on the floor where they are the elite of the elite at; Harden in transition, the perimeter and drives, Howard within 5 feet and getting offensive rebounds and Anthony in the low post and spot up shooting. Both Harden and Anthony are great to elite midrange shooters, even if Harden shoots too few and Anthony maybe too many. And all three excel at getting to the paint or getting free throws. It would be a Morey Dream to have those type of domination on the floor.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bro, if we had to take Smith to get Melo, i'd do it. Plus, are bench would be totally drained with a trade for Melo, you need someone talented offensively like Smith on the bench.

Why i argue about very unlikely hypotheticals? Ill never know...

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Steven A Smith on First Take:

"I was told this last week, I was told a few days ago, I had it reiterated to me by somebody I trust yet again this morning, that Carmelo Anthony is gone, he is leaving New York city," Smith said on ESPN's First Take. "And he is gone because he's at the mindset that in order to achieve any amount of success he would had to sacrifice not just this this year but next year as well, because of this current roster."

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Except that we'd have a below average defense and possibly the worst bench in the NBA. I'm not convinced you three superstars = title when you have so many glaring holes.

If we got Melo I would have to trust Morey about it, but I would not do it if I were GM unless we can somehow keep both Parsons and Jones (which I doubt).

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If the right don't hit ya and the left won't hit ya the big **** will!

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If you can get a player like Melo on your team without giving up D12 or JH, you absolutely do it. It's a no brainer.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Below average defense? I doubt it. Anthony's defense is constantly attacked, but it's much less of an issue if he plays PF. He's similar to Harden it that his liability on defense comes from movement more than just not being good.

Worst bench in the NBA? Probably depends on whether this becomes a S&T or straight up signing. And if it's a straight up signing, would Melo be willing to take less money so the Rockets keep Terrence Jones. Assume Melo's serious about winning, the Rockets can still keep Jones+Cannan on the bench+2nd round picks next year+Room exception. Not the best starting point to be sure. But it's not as important when you have Melo/Harden/Howard/Parsons/Beverley starting lineup.

However, you'd have to think with Phil Jackson that the Knicks aren't going to spite Melo enough to not get anything in return for him. If Melo tells the Knicks he's leaving for Houston, I see no reason why they won't trade him for Jones, Asik, Lin, 2014 #1, and perhaps even future #1. This will leave the full MLE for Morey to spend.

But if you think long term, no reason why the Rockets can't get a full bench in 2015 when they have full MLE and their own #1 pick.

Until this point, has Morey ever been wrong about his incessant need to find stars? Exactly. :)

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's interesting how Melo is in a very similar situation to Dwight. New York needs at least a year to rebuild and possibly more. So did the Lakers after last season. The key difference this time around is the Rockets can't sign Melo outright like they did with Dwight.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You don't worry about the supporting pieces too much when acquiring what (assuming) Morey considers a foundational piece -- A Superstar. Surrounding the core group is exponentially less difficult that getting the stars, as we've all seen the last half decade. Morey has always been great a getting dynamite role players out of thin air. I would not sweat losing any of our role players, though it would really make me sad to lose Bev or Parsons.

13. makio9

makio9 Member

I'd love to have melo and laLa here. Puts Houston on the map even more. I welcome bandwagoners. I was here first, that's all that matters. Lets make my team GROW. That has positives impacts for the Rockets overall even if the immediate future wasn't to work out (which I think it will).

Does it necessarily mean Parsons is gone though?

Beverley harden Parsons Melo Howard?

14. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

With Phil now firmly in control of the Knicks organization, I think it's highly unlikely that Melo leaves NY. If Melo tried to force his way out of NY, Phil would dare him to take less $. He won't do a sign and trade without getting a star back in return. So if Houston wants Melo, it will cost them Howard or Harden. Phil knows the value of stars and he won't get played by Morey. Phil looks at this opportunity like his second stint with the Lakers when he took over a 32-34 win team that had only 1 superstar (Kobe). They nearly traded Kobe to Chicago the following year, but it fell through and later they got Pau Gasol and were off to the races.

15. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

If we don't win it this year... I think it's all in for Melo in the offseason.

In order to beat Miami/Spurs/LAC/OKC we need another top tier scorer. Our defense will always be good with DH12 and Beverley but there's times where our offense is pathetic (see this past Miami game). We don't have a consistent scorer besides Harden and if Harden isn't on point, Melo can pick up the slack.

A package of J.Lin/O.Asik/T.Jones + 2 First Rounds Picks should entice the Knicks to begin their new rebuild and regime with Phil Jackson.

Bev/Canaan
    Harden/Cisco
    Parsons/Casspi
    Melo/DMo
    DH12/Need to find a replacement via FA

This is a title contending team for the next 3 years. Going into 2015 season. Melo will be 30, DH12 will be 29, and Harden will be 25.

With this trade, we can also re-sign Parsons and go over the salary cap to keep him. Once we re-sign Parsons (at 8-10 million) we will have no chance to land a 3rd superstar without trading him.

1 person likes this.
  16. deedee82

deedee82 Member

I find it hard to believe that Parsons will be around if we are to make any major trades. Its as simple as that, a rebuilding team simply cannot expect to take on Lin and Asik also without a third team involved.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me how much money it would cost the money to do a sign and trade with the Rockets rather than letting Melo walk?

I'm curious what the ballpark figure is.

18. Salvy

Salvy Member

As long as they keep Harden, Howard, Beverly, Jones and Parsons then YES!!!! PLEASE let this happen.... Cant imagine any team beating The Rockets with a starting lineup of...

Beverly/ ?
    Harden/ ?
    Anthony/Parsons
    Jones/ Monty
    Howard/ ?

Please Lord!!!

19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Parsons def would be gone in almost any scenario that involves Anthony coming to Houston. With the Rockets in tax territory, whatever we pay parsons using the bird rights will be doubled..... so at the end of the day is Parsons worth $18-$20 million a year? Absolutely not.......

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

False