1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I do not comment on Clutch's opinions. The guy is very intelligent and well informed.

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

If we had melo, we would have pretty much the highest tier talent at three of five positions. Also, it wouldn't be too much of a log jam since it's a big/wing/guard trio.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If you have a chance to add a Carmelo Anthony to your team, you do it without second thought. Of course, Morey is going to have to decide if he really wants to forgo free agency in 2015 but it sounds like the interest in adding a player like Melo is there.

I don't worry about the motion of "there isn't going to be enough shots" if Melo is here.

Harden, as much of a deadly scorer he is, is also an elite passer for his position. I have no doubt in my mind that he would be willing to score less and be a play maker more. He can be like what I thought LeBron would be when he joined the Heat, as someone who doesn't score as much but averages way more assist. I can see Harden averaging 22ppg, 8apg, 5rpg easily and happily if he was on a team with Melo and Howard.

Howard is still going to get his touches, as well as the clean up baskets he would get regardless. If anything, adding Melo and putting him as the power forward would give Howard tons more space to work with. Seeing him put similar numbers he is putting up now is not far fetched.

For Melo, I can see him becoming even more efficient than he has been in recent years. Just look at how he has played and performed when he shared the court with multiple stars. He is an elite spot up shooter and would be even more so with Howard/Harden getting equal attention as him and Harden's ability to pass would make Melo deadly. I can see Melo averaging his 25+ppg and 8rpg way more efficiently than ever before.

I'm sure that Melo, Harden and Howard will be talking a lot during the offseason and during the USA team workouts. If they can figure out how to play and Morey can work his magic, watch out!

4. try

try Member

There are many reasons a trade doesn't go though in the NBA. We don't know the reason.
    It's the player's job to do what the coaching staff tells him to do. Don't you think Melo, who is a great 3pt-shooter, would be able to adjust to the Rockets' playing style? In the Olympic tournament in 2012, 54,5% of Anthony's shots were three-pointers.
    Carmelo is the only good scorer for the Knicks, what else is he supposed to do? Put Harden on the 76ers (assuming they want to win) and he'll take a ton of shots. And the coaching staff would tell him to. Anthony can play in a lesser role, as seen in the Olympics.
    Why do you completely ignore the role Melo has to play with the Knicks? The defense completely focuses on him, he has to take all the bad shots with the shot clock running down. Do you really think Parsons would be nearly as efficient as a go-to-guy for the Knicks? I don't think so. Don't you think Melo would be very efficent as a sidekick to Harden and Howard? I do think so.
    How do you know he's a cancer? Howard had a bad reputation too, right? And it wasn't completely undeserved given how he acted in Orlando, right?
    As Morey said, he wants a third star. There are not many great players in the NBA, you have to get them when you have the opportunity. If Morey has the opportunity to get Melo, I don't think he passes.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I am all for this deal. Melo and Harden as perimeter scorers with Howard as the inside presence would be an unbelievable combination of talent. The spacing with Melo as a stretch 4 would be perfect.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really think parsons will be included if we do a sign and trade. I can see Phil wanting him and asik, probably not Lin but he would have to be included.

Ofcourse if melo gets to pick he can always force his way to the clippers. He's definitely closer to Paul than he is with any of the Houston guys and recent history has shown players will pick clips over rockets. Not sure what expirings clips have but history has also shown teams can pull scenarios out their ass and somehow make anything work. (Brooklyn last summer, warriors and Iggy, doc to the clips??)

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Here is the dream scenario. Melo picks Houston and Chicago amnesties boozer.

Bev
    Harden
    Melo
    Boozer / Jones
    Howard

Obviously if boozer gets amnestied another team with a little dough would probably pick him up but wouldn't it be sweet

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Every one of your points is wrong. So I will just take one at random and dissect it.

Melo is not the only good scorer for the Knicks. Wasn't J. R. an all star this season? But following your logic should not Melo be scoring much more? Is he scoring at a higher rate than last season when NY was a 55(?) win team and the second seed in the East? No. Absolutely not. If Harden got Melo's 0.58 shots per minute how much would he be scoring? Certainly 30+. Melo is a talented NBA player and an inefficient volume shooter. Nothing more.

9. jocar

jocar Member

Why the Houston Rockets Should Not Pursue Carmelo Anthony

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1994536-why-the-houston-rockets-should-not-pursue-carmelo-anthony
    Are Houston Rockets Perfect Dark-Horse Destination for Carmelo Anthony?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ct-dark-horse-destination-for-carmelo-anthony

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Glad someone other than the Post is reporting it. I hope it happens! I'd happily give Lin/Parsons/Asik for Melo, even though I'm hardly his biggest fan.

Championship windows are only open for so long. The Rockets have maybe 3 years to make it happen. Might as well go balls to the wall.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No sir J.R. Smith wasn't an all star this year. He wasn't an all star the year before either. LOL

12. try

try Member

Now that's a great way to start a post...
    Yes, it's wrong that players can play differently if put in different roles.
    Yes, it's wrong that 54,5% of Anthony's shots were three-pointers in the Olympic tournament in 2012.
    Yes, it's wrong that Howard had a bad reputation before coming to Houston.
    Yes, it's wrong that Morey wants a third star.

No.

By the way:
    That's wrong, too.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Everybody has their opinions pimpn but it doen't mean they are right on spot. What IF we get him and win a few Championships. Hmmmm I wonder what will be said then. LOL

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You are right. Sorry for the misinformation. I blame old age and memory loss.

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hopefully by then we'll have better jerseys too!

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

JR Smith? All-Star? LMFAO! Quote of the day, no doubt.

18. vvlzp

vvlzp Member

i wanna melo play 4 and find a 3d player

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let us see. Using one measure, well accepted by the community, TS%.

Melo

[​IMG]

The Rockets

[​IMG]

The Rockets roster as a whole has a higher TS% than Melo. Sad.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL not the great jtr..

You are good big dawg.