1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYE in NYC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yaoluv, Sep 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Me and the lady friend are thinking about heading up to NYC for new years.

Anyone have advice on where to be for the celebration? I have never been, but have heard bad things about seeing the ball drop.

So I'm looking for alternatives, preferably where we can see some fireworks or cool celebrations.

2. mic

mic Contributing Member

I'm going to be in NYC for NYE for sure. Not sure what our plans are yet, though...

3. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

I was there on January 1st, 2006.

Prepare to stand for 10+ hours straight. You have to get there before like 3 in the afternoon before they close Times Square off. If you want to leave, you can't back in. Long periods of just standing there.

It's something that was kinda cool to experience, sure, but I don't think I would do it again.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Why don't yall get dinner reservations someplace nice that does the midnight champagne toast? Unless you want to hit up one of the clubs... A group of us got a table at Duvet a couple of years back and had a great time.

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i've been to times square for the ball dropping and it's pretty overrated. i got there at 4pm, waited 8 hours, and couldn't take a bathroom break. i did notice people eating at the olive garden which has a great view of the ball dropping so so perhaps you can look into getting a reservation there to eat and watch the ball drop. the olive garden is right in times square and it's elevated so you'd have a great view.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

What they said ^

Have to go early in the day, can't leave, penned in, wait for 5+ hours.

When I was there there also didn't seem to be much else going on. Either find a restaurant with it's own thing, or a club/bar.

Other than that there seems to be jack in the way of big celebrations.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Watching the ball drop is one of the most disappointing things ever. I was there during the 1999-2000 ball drop, and it still wasn't worth it. I had a hotel right by the ball drop area, so I didn't have to wait in a pen for 10 hours, but it was quite underwhelming. Another thing you might forget is you will be dealing with the harsh northern winter as well. So in addition to having tired legs, you will be freezing too. I suggest find a party indoors and celebrate there.

8. mic

mic Contributing Member

I wasn't really planning on doing the ball drop thing. I'll probably end up at a restaurant or bar, or both. I'm sure that'll be enough of a circus in and of itself. :)

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was planning to go to. We were thinking about getting a hotel in time square. Anyone have recommendations?

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

yes. don't stay in Times Square on New Years Eve

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the ball drop in the early 90's and it wasn't that exciting. As others have noted unless you get there early in the day you aren't going to get close and you're pretty much penned in. Some interesting people watching and had a good time partying with some students from Syracuse when I was there but otherwise than that meh...

12. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I have a couple of friends that went to NYC for New Year's. One was actually on the streets. He said it was horrible. It was cold, snowy, jam packed full of people and you had to pee in the streets.

The other guy stayed at a hotel near the area. I am not sure if he had a view of the ball itself or just a view of the people. Either way he said that was a great experience. But if you do that, be sure to have absolutely no reason to be out on the streets after noon. Simply too many people on the streets after that time. So, get your food, booze, condoms, etc. the day before or in the morning and enjoy.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i went to ny last year for nye and i wasnt really dissapointed. i knew what to expect. it was tiring as hell and cold standing there for 10 hours. but i wanted to do it once and i will never do it again ;)

i met a nice family from phoenix, a gothic couple from ohio, two gay guys that were awesome from new jersey, and a group of people from philly (one of which was a hot armenian chick that i made out with at midnight that i got to know pretty well and kept each other warm because there wasnt much else to do but stand there for 10 hours)

it seemed like an american thing to do once. just not again