1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYDailyNews] NBA lockout coming closer to a reality every day as Las Vegas Summer Le

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 13, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

[rquoter]In two more signs that the NBA is gearing up for a lockout starting July 1, the league has scrubbed its annual Las Vegas summer league and has also scuttled its annual summer internship program, according to league sources.

The Las Vegas summer league normally starts around July 9, with upwards of 20 teams, including the Knicks, sending little-used veteran players and rookies to compete over a 10-day period.

Also, the NBA usually hires about 30 college students to participate in a 10-week internship program in the league's offices in New York and at the league's entertainment division in Secaucus, N.J.

In preparing for a lockout, the NBA is also not sending any teams abroad for training camp, and did not schedule any preseason games in Europe for this fall.

Owners and players have not held formal negotiations since mid-February, but are expected to resume talks this month. The collective bargaining agreement expires June 30.[/rquoter]
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/04/13/2011-04-13_nba_readies_for_lockout.html

Sam Amico is reporting the same thing.

The summer is going to be looooooooooooong. :(

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Winter is coming.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So next season no NFL and no NBA. Guess I will be watching a lot more ice skating.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

well that sucks. I was looking forward to a trip to see our guys in Vegas this summer:(

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I weathered the NHL lockout.... it was not fun.

Time to buckle down.

6. conquistador#11

The NBA is walking down a dark path. A lot of Fans, like me, are tired with how ridiculous Stern's league has become, from the officiating to the decision to the "super teams".
    Miss another 30 games like in 1998-1999 and this league will be surpassed by the NHL.

maybe Stern could eliminate every team except New York, La and Miami, have those teams play each other for 24 straight weeks.

I'll miss our rockets that's for sure. =(

1 person likes this.
  7. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

It is a very fine line between being an NBA addict and having the NBA become background noise. The NBA is about to walk that line in my mind.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I just can't see that happening at all.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well this is why a lot of the guys projected to go in the lottery are going back to college.

It would suck to miss a whole season. Also didn't Jason Kidd say he would retire if there was a lockout?

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Greed, for lack of a better term, is good.

[​IMG]

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

You could watch this...

[​IMG]

12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

1. There is no way in hell the NHL is more lucrative, no matter how you cook the books, than the NBA in the next 15 years.

2. Hate Stern all you want, but you listed three reasons, none of which are a direct result of his actions, and two of which are the same reason. Poor argument for an easy kill. You got your free post though.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

NHL will definitely over the WNBA

I have hope that the NFL will come back, with only 2 games lost (14 game schedule). When you boil it all down, the owners simply wanted to slip a bigger piece of the pie out of greed. There isn't a serious gulf between them, the owners were simply caught off guard that the players connected on several haymakers in the process. It's all about face now.

The NBA, on the other hand.....there is going to be a serious reckoning. Unlike the NFL, a solid third of the teams are in DIRE straits and keeping the doors open off of multimillion lines of credit. Indy, NO, Cha, and Minny are really close to insolvency.

Leonosis (Was) and Kroenke (Den) are leading the charge for modeling the league after the NHL, because they both are NHL guys. TONS of owners are fully on board because they're either drowning in red ink or are small markets wanting to protect themselves. You've only got a handful of guys (Dolan, Cuban, Buss, etc) who enjoy a financial advantage in a luxury tax environment.

I don't think fans appreciate how hard the players are going to fight against a hard cap.
    1) It ends the era of guaranteed contracts, the biggest feather in their CBA cap
    2) It will almost certainly knock down total player earnings in a significant way (well over half the league spent above the cap this year)

I'm not saying these are bad things....but expect the players to hold out in a BIG way....and the owners to do likewise. This is critical issue on both sides and they won't come to an agreement anytime soon.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

BOOM! Very interesting statement. I could fall into that category. If the NBA went away for a year, I might never return to this level of "fanhood". In fact, put it in the bank.

It would be very dangerous for the league if people learned to live without it.

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

NBA: No decision on summer league

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6344031

Eh. I guess there's still hope. :)

For the summer league anyway.

16. FullMetal Sage

OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOO!