1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYC Will Fine You $250k For "Misgendering"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SonofSatoshi, Feb 3, 2016.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

This is where the Democrat left's political correctness agenda exits the realm of the absurd and enters the realm of the impossible. Surely this will escalate to the Supreme Court court quickly and hopefully they will straighten this out. What is at stake is the ability of the Democrats to eventually impose their Orwellian speech and behavior codes on every member of our society.

And while I say Orwellian, I am not sure that even gets us all the way to this, because as far as I can recall, there was nothing quite as far-fetched as this latest development of the PC movement in "1984".

Of course this is just New York City and right now the issues are limited to gender identification issues. But of course if they can prescribe speech codes around this, they can do it around pretty much everything, which we all know they will if allowed to do so. This is what will be at stake when the Supreme Court hears this, which I hope will be soon.

I would suggest that George Orwell would be proud, but I honestly do not believe that he would be. Instead, I think he would be shocked, frightened and dismayed, as he envisioned how this would unfold into every nook and cranny of our society, if allowed to proceed unchecked. The Democrats are trying to take us to a horribly oppressive place with all this stuff, and we are entering the stage where it is not hypothetical anymore.

Surely this is going to be stopped. It is, isn't it?

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

But you have ZERO experience.

[​IMG]

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this is America, you can call people whatever you want

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Just don't move to NYC - oh that's right none of you could afford to."

[​IMG]

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm sure Breitbart has reported this story faithfully and has not in any way distorted the truth to rile his readers and push page views.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here's what the guidelines say about the penalties (emphasis mine):

[rquoter]IV. PENALTIES IN ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIONS

The Commission can impose civil penalties up to $125,000 for violations, and up to $250,000 for violations that are the result of willful, wanton, or malicious conduct. The amount of a civil penalty will be guided by the following factors, among others:

* The severity of the particular violation;
    * The existence of previous or subsequent violations;
    * The employer’s size, considering both the total number of employees and its revenue; and
    * The employer’s actual or constructive knowledge of the NYCHRL.

These penalties are in addition to the other remedies available to people who successfully resolve or prevail on claims under the NYCHRL, including, but not limited to, back and front pay, along with other compensatory and punitive damages. The Commission may consider the lack of an adequate anti-discrimination policy as a factor in determining liability, assessing damages, and mandating certain affirmative remedies. [/rquoter]

http://www.nyc.gov/html/cchr/html/law/gender-identity-legalguidance.shtml

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Since the person offended doesn't get the money
    sounds like another useless law to harrass people and trickle in funds to the local government

Rocket River

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is just extending sexual harassment laws to transgender people. It isn't about being PC, it's when people do something with intent to harm.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Glad to see conservatives are working hard on solving all the big problems in the world...