1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYC School Chancellor wants to end high school exam after Asians dominate test scores

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, May 5, 2021.

?

Does it matter which kids do the best on tests?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Key facts about Asian Americans | Pew Research Center" https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/04/29/key-facts-about-asian-americans/?amp=1

Again, the vast majority of Asians in America came after 1980 and most of them came through a selection filter of merit based migration or chain migration where someone with merit(student or tech work visas) brought along immediate family members(parents, spouse, siblings)

The comparing of Asians in America that have a selection filter to gen pop has resulted in massive amounts of racism towards African Americans and Latino Americans in the US with rhetoric about inferior cultures.

#81 fchowd0311, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For me personally, I don't find either offensive. I think people are being oversensitive. But I understand why Asians would be offended by the Yang cartoon as it portrays them with slanted eyes and short - both sensitive items given past racism against them especially considering Yang is really tall.

The other one, it's not caricaturing Obama with stereotypical features. And the intruder making the watermelon comment is portraying the intruder as racist. So maybe that's offensive to the right? It's a strange comment to make in a cartoon, so I can see how some might be offended.

But again, to me, all the commotion over political cartoons is much ado about nothing.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough

o-OVERWHELMED-570.jpg

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I must have missed that part this is the only thing I saw about immigration.

The modern immigration wave from Asia has accounted for a quarter of all immigrants who have arrived in the U.S. since 1965. But when and how Asian immigrants arrived in the U.S. varies, which helps explain why some Asian origin groups are more likely than others to be U.S. born. For example, immigrants account for only 27% of Japanese Americans, who began arriving in the 19th century as plantation workers in what is now the state of Hawaii. By contrast, many Bhutanese arrived recently as refugees, and a large majority (85%) are foreign born.

I don't even see anything citing since the 80's they all seem to be citing things since 1965.

Can you paste the exact text?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have to say not really.

Maybe the slant eyes but then it looks like Yang.

I think the main fact of the comic is that he is essentially a tourist.

But I am not asian so it's not about me.

6. fchowd0311

[​IMG]
    Some basic math and graph reading skills required.

In 1980, the Asian population in the US was 3.5 million. Today it's 24 million.

Now combine that with this statement in the article:
    "Around six-in-ten Asian Americans (57%), including 71% of Asian American adults, were born in another country."

That means 24*.57 = 13.68 million Asians in the US today are foerign born immigrants or citizens. In 1980 there were 3.5 million Asians in America total including those born in the US.

That mathematically means it's impossible for the majority of Asians to have immigrated to the US before 1980 if you want to attribute the current amount of Asian Americans to purely growth through procreation.

If we were to assume every single Asian of the 3.5 Asian Americans were foerign born in 1980, that still leaves another roughly 10 million foreign born Asian Americans or immigrants to account for and that's the minimum as that is assuming every one of the 3.5 million Asians in the US in 1980 were foerign born.

#86 fchowd0311, May 26, 2021
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Most political cartoons are offensive.
    It's not as bad as the Obama cartoon, but the fact that they depict him like some stereotypical short Asian tourist is somewhat offensive especially when Yang is average height at 5'10" and he's American and a native New Yorker. I say this as an Asian that really doesn't get offended easily.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Most of these posts belong in the Why are blacks beating up Asians thread.

11. fchowd0311

How many Blacks? Like Blacks in general?

12. adoo

adoo Member

not "shifted" as chained immigrations / quotas are still operative

13. fchowd0311

Yes chain migration still existed. But keep in mind the anchor immigrants who brought in their immediate family members most likely came through some form of merit either through work or student visas and settled by bringing immediate family through chain migration. The type of people that type of chain migration brings is still going to be people from more well off families.

I know it's merely a single anecdote by it's emblematic of a genuine pattern. My parents migrated here in the 80s with student visas and then eventually graduated and got employed. Once they became full time residents and eventually citizens they used chain migration to bring my grandparents. And on both sides, my maternal and paternal families in Bangladesh were in the top .1% of wealth with both my parents attending the most privileged wealthy private grade schools in the country. My grandparents owned a lot of land in Bangladesh. That's a pretty common immigration pattern for Asians.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

:rolleyes:, u know this because of what?

my grandfather / father (a farmer and a school teacher in China) was sponsored by his daughter, a US citizen thru her marriage to a former American GI.
    she also sponsored my uncle, who was a laborer.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That says population increased not because of immigration in fact it says nothing about immigration, maybe your extrapolation is correct I just wanted to know if that article plainly stated it.

Looking further it seems the spike in immigration was because of the things I said and because of this.

Immigration of Asian Americans was also affected by U.S. war involvement from the 1940s to the 1970s. In the wake of World War II, immigration preferences favored family reunification. This may have helped attract highly skilled workers to meet American workforce deficiencies. Another instance related to World War II was the Luce–Celler Act of 1946, which helped immigrants from India and the Philippines.

The end of the Korean War and Vietnam War and the "Secret Wars" in Southeast Asia brought a new wave of Asian American immigration, as people from Korea, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia arrived. Some of the new immigrants were war brides, who were soon joined by their families. Others, like the Southeast Asians, were either highly skilled and educated, or part of subsequent waves of refugees seeking asylum. Some factors contributing to the growth of sub-groups such as South Asians and mainland Chinese were higher family sizes, higher use of family-reunification visas, and higher numbers of technically skilled workers entering on H-1 and H-1B visas.

Ethnic Chinese immigration to the United States since 1965 has been aided by the fact that the United States maintains separate quotas for Mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. During the late 1960s and early and mid-1970s, Chinese immigration into the United States came almost exclusively from Taiwan creating the Taiwanese American subgroup. A smaller number of immigrants from Hong Kong arrived as college and graduate students. Immigration from Mainland China was almost non-existent until 1977, when the PRC removed restrictions on emigration leading to immigration of college students and professionals. These recent groups of Chinese tended to cluster in suburban areas and to avoid urban Chinatowns.

17. fchowd0311

Because of probability and statistics. If the anchors for chain migrations are mostly skill based and merit based immigrants or citizens, the probability of them being raised in a decent family that can afford the private schooling required for them to stand out enough for a American university or tech company to sponsor them is higher than someone who attended generic public schooling in Asian countries and never will have a chance to be sponsored by a university or company in the US.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I did not get the short thing which shows how we look at things different. Good to know.

I think 5'10 is actually short for a man.

19. fchowd0311

That isn't an extrapolation. Extrapolation is finding some best fit linear regression or logistic regression and then inputting a future time in the equation to get a predictive output.

I'm just using basic math to show you that it is mathematically impossible for majority of Asians in the US to have come before 1980 due to these three facts:
    1. 3.5 million people of Asians decent in America existed in 1980
    2. 23 million people of Asian decent in America existed in 2019.
    3. 57% of people with Asian decent in the US in 2019 are foreign born.

Those three statements again make it mathematically impossible for majority of Asians in the US to have migrated here before 1980.

#99 fchowd0311, May 26, 2021
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.