1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYC for Xmas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketRick, Nov 16, 2010.

1. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

My wife and I will be in NYC for Christmas. Do you guys have any recommendations for places to eat or things to do while we are there? Keep in mind we will be traveling with our one year old daughter so this limits us to family friendly places. We are staying in Times Square. I think we might go to the Knicks vs Bulls game on Xmas day. Not a fan of either but would like to check out The Garden. Might wear my Rockets gear at the game, not sure yet due to Morey's raping of the Knicks.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you did not say anything about nye. but if you are there stay away from time square.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The usual NY stuff around the holidays should be fine:

Rockefeller Center - see the big tree
    Saks Fifth Avenue - see the cool window dressings
    Central Park - leisurely stroll by the rink, by the lake, etc. should be fine
    Sam's or Mamoun's Falafel near NYU
    Chicken and Rice stands - scattered throughout lower Manhattan - just pick one

In general watch your cornhole around 5th Ave/Madison/Times Square around the holidays. Getting through the crowds with a stroller can be a huge pain in the ass.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

The Garden's nothing special, and neither is the team. I would say to skip it.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

THIS

I went to a Cavs/Knicks game a few years ago and it was nothing special. It's kind of a dump honestly.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If u go to MSG, go to a Ranger game.....especially if you have never seen an NHL hockey game live.....not too far from MSG is a family style italian restaurant called Carmines....great food...loud place but certainly kid friendly in terms of not being a fancy joint.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Carmine's is the best Italian restaurant in the area.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Kinda disappointed to hear all this negativity about MSG...I always wanted to go visit it! Is it really that bad? I was under the impression that you went for the atmosphere, crowd, etc.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's fine. It's a standard multipurpose basketball/hockey arena, though not an ultra-nice ultra-modern one given its age. People cheer for the home team and leave early when the game is out of hand like anywher else. No surprises there.

Rangers games are a bit louder since hockey fans tend to be a bit more die-hard than b-ball fans. You tend to see some celebs on the sideline, esp. for basketball.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's not so much a bad arena so much as it's overrated and (IMO) overpriced. I just never understood why it's the "Mecca of basketball". I mean, wouldn't the Lakers or the Celtics be the hub of the league because of all the rings?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think that dates back to the days when teh college NIT was played there every year, before the NBA was very popular. I don't know if anybody really calls it that anymore.

12. SunsRocketsfan

Also the Lakers and Celtics don't play in their original arenas that they won all those rings in. The Boston Garden is destroyed and The Great Western Forum where is now a church.

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You have balls dude. I will never go to NY during X mas. At the very least check your pockets every 5 secs.

14. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Be sure to hit up FAO Schwartz. It's like the king of all TOYS. Do we still have it here in houston across from the galleria?
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPGL427EoAc?fs=1&amp;hl=vi_VN"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPGL427EoAc?fs=1&amp;hl=vi_VN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

MSG became known for boxing, not basketball ;)

Oh! And concerts!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wewu45XSb00?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wewu45XSb00?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

When I went, more people were rooting for Lebron than the Knicks. Not much of an atmosphere really. And like I said, the stadium itself is a dump

17. mc mark

New Yorkers like a show. And bore easily.

But be it ever so crumbled...

18. mc mark

Let’s see, Christmas in New York?

It’s expensive, but the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular
    A walking tour of all the Christmas windows
    The hologram show on the ceiling of Grand Central
    If you’re here on Christmas Eve, carol singing @ Washington Square Park
    The light show at the Bronx Zoo
    See the Met Christmas tree (way better that the Rock Center tree, which is cool)
    Again, Christmas Eve, Midnight mass at St Patrick’s Cathedral

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Been going to New York ever since I can remember, never been pickpocketed.

20. mc mark

lived here 18 years and never been pickpocketed