1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times Opinion] Is the 3rd Intifada inevitable?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/opinion/sunday/the-third-intifada-is-inevitable.html?_r=2

Thoughts?

All the people in both territories should be living in peace IMO. The people have the same demands: secure shelter, respect for their rights, chance to live a happy life. But the politicians on both sides can't/won't deliver peace, and they are walking their people towards a scary situation.

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm not (quite) cynical enough to think they'd do it on purpose, but a Third Intifada would be a dream come true for the government.

People would support the government, and anyone who didn't would be branded a traitor. Rioting like this and police beatings of protestors like this would stop in Tel Aviv.

As we speak, the police in Tel Aviv are commandeering commercial busses to haul off protestors so they can beat them without all those pesky cameras around. Palestinians have no rights, so it's much easier to deal with them. Tear gas, bulldozers, sonic weapons, and all that can be employed with way less pull at the conscience, and much less damage to the poll numbers.

There wouldn't be a return of the J14 protests because it wouldn't be "safe" or "appropriate" if there was an Intifada to quell so Bibi wouldn't have to worry about the leftist kids yelling in the street. Heck, they wouldn't even need to bomb Iran to stay high in the polls.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Deji, I think I agree with you, but also with the article in that there is a new sense of hopelessness in the Palestinian territories which may drive this behavior regardless of consequences. Doing something is likely to yield bad results, but doing nothing is already yielding bad results. I have seen, from my armchair, signs of improvement from Israeli civilians in dealing with these issues but the progress is slow. Maybe there is nothing left to lose for them, so they are willing to take this shot in the dark, some maybe even thinking they would rather be killed than spend the rest of their miserable life waiting for something to happen. Humans are dangerous when they are denied pursuit of their personal goals and dreams.

It's really a sad situation where those who want to achieve peace in a peaceful way are either ignored or beaten down.

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

To be fair, one major thing that has changed since the Second Intifada (and the Wall) is Israeli participation in protests in the West Bank once they became non-violent. Which is a good thing in subverting the polarization of the issue, but I think it has a loooong way to go.

Many Palestinians are not particularly keen on it...and it's a problem. Some aren't too interested in sharing a future with Israelis and are wary of their support. I'm not at all sympathetic to that point of view. I can understand why they may not be terribly excited about welcoming Israeli protesters, but if you can't reconcile with the people risking their lives to help you, what kind of future are you wishing for? And what kind will you get? You can't make the leap to an equitable post-colonialist society by dreaming of expelling another wave of forced emigrants. That's a fantasy Palestinians will have to abandon for any peace solution to work (ask the IRA about that one). One Nakba is not going to be erased with a new one.

Whether anyone likes it or not, it is the Israeli voting public who ultimately decides the future of the West Bank & they DO have the power to end the Occupation. Palestinians themselves are doing a much better job of appealing to the moral imperative of ending the Occupation than "friends" of the Palestinian people who polarize the issue and send the idea that the world hates Israelis. Israelis aren't Americans :) They don't expect to be or want to be liked. They've been telling children for generations that the world hates them and wants to kill them. Those fears are easily incited by some of those with the best of intentions.

On the Israeli side, activists try to appeal to the international left at the expense of the Israeli public. That's bad too. This might get radicals from Berlin and Seattle to "express their solidarity" but it alienates Israeli voters who may have otherwise been sympathetic to the cause of peace. It helps the Bibis and Liebermans also paint them as out of touch whackos that hate Israel and Israelis. Sometimes they are unfortunately right.

Shock value and drama gets the media spotlight, but it doesn't make the changes necessary to improve society. "Anarchists Against The Wall" (who aren't really anarchists) would probably make better inroads in both Palestinian and Israeli society if the were called "Nice College Kids That Aren't Bigots & Like To Sleep At Night" but it doesn't sell as well.

Third, the international left (the activists from outside Israel) is not helping either. Things like the flotilla that are meant to express solidarity to Palestinians, are seen as mean-spirited incitement to Israelis. It again alienates the centrist Israeli, who would be sympathetic to the cause of peace, but few are terribly sympathetic when people are screaming about how much they hate you. Or attacking their security people with lead pipes.

Israel's internal protest movement (different from but inclusive of the pro-peace camp) is poorly defined & is a very large tent, but it refuses to die. It's leaders are not exactly the smartest intellectuals, but the main message is a return to a more equitable government that better addresses the needs of the common man. Being that the Occupation is a benefit to a minority in the country at the expense of everyone, it's not hard to imagine it being addressed by such a future government.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

One glaring fact also...is that the wall does the job is was intended to do.

As long as the wall is there and staffed by the army, getting bombers into Tel Aviv in any number is not going to be easy. It's in response to the Second Intifada that it got built in the first place, and you can be sure the security establishment is keen not to let it happen again.

Any new uprising would probably end up being more of a Palestinian civil war (directed against Abbas) then a return to 2002.

The hunger strikes and new non-violent tactics Palestinians are using are proving effective. I would expect the PA to crack down on any violence pretty fast.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The entire region of the world is a pawn of the United States and to a lesser extent Europe.The only reason the Middle East matters and will matter to the West is because it holds "OUR" oil.

It is simple, give the oil to us cheap, or we will take it by force. The last 10 years of war and our continued support of a nazi-like government in Israel just shows we are not giving it up.

Want a revolution in Iraq? Saudi Arabia? Sure... But we will have "enduring" military bases (state dept actually uses terminology)... Iran is next... This is not about democracy (we leave the area in chaos), it is about making it clear it is OURS.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

There are things I don't like about EVERY government. I'm still not sure I would call any of them Nazis. If having a neo-con government, engaging in wars of choice and having a colonial worldview is Nazi, what is the US exactly?

Also, what is this oil you speak of in Israel, and where can I find it?

8. Nook

Nook Member

There isn't oil in Israel, but they are key to our middle eastern policy. The Israeli government is about as right wing as you will find.

What is the USA? Imperialistic.. The difference is that for us it is nothing personal, the world population and demand for energy is increasing had an absurd rate, and the supply is the same... We will take it by force, because we can.

History will not look well upon Israel and USA, but we will get 40 years of cheap energy, Israel will get it's breathing room and people will go about their day to day routines as long as they aren't having their homes blown up or bulldozed.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I totally agree, especially with the part I bolded. While I think forced emigrants is a fantasy, I don't see any side abandoning this notion.

I understand your point, but dispute the idea that the Israeli voting public truly decides their future. I think for them to be in control, they have to have accurate and reflective information. I think people on both sides are suffering the effects of long-term extreme propaganda from an extremely young age, and to me if you are able to condition a child from a very young age, then you have at least partially seized control of their votes. With the way things are, the average person in those territories is working from a disadvantage of having to disect an unreasonable amount of public propaganda in order to come to a level of objectivity from which they can make their own decision. This is apparent in practice, with some grown-ass Muslims believing that Jews have descended from apes, and some grown-ass Jews believing that non-Jews are sub-human.

As we know, this is what happens when religion enters the state, and subsequently the state becomes passive about religious doctrine infiltrating the media. The fact that Israel is a Jewish state and that Palestine will be an Islamic state is a major problem.

True.

However I do think there is some value in polarizing extremists, because I hold out hope that informational tools are developing and spreading fast enough for moderates to eventually distance themselves from extremists, but that is a more long-term view.

Again agreed, but I think times are getting despearate. I can be patient and continue to support these efforts, but I don't live in the West Bank, my country has not been occupied by Israel, etc. Perhaps we are underestimating the mental toll this has taken on civilian Palestinians, which we can probably say is materially higher than the toll taken on Israelis. While both sides live in fear of violence based on the actions of their leaders and terrorists, I think Palestinians have the further problem of having little prosperity, so much to rebuild, no hopes, no dreams, no money, no water, etc. A friend of mine who was recently DJing at a club in Tel Aviv was telling me that, unless you have been there, you can never imagine what a normal life people in Tel Aviv are living when compared to the deformed life of living in the occupied territories, despite recent improvements. Without arguing over how this came about, we can still recognize that it is a very huge factor in long-term peace.

How do you think this woud affect Iran plans? I imagine Israel would not have the resources to deal with an intifada, an attack on Iran, and subsequent retaliation from Hezbollah in the same time period? I think Israel would take a permenenent hit on their international image, though I suspect the Israeli politicans will spin it as "see, they are ganging up on us again".