1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] N.B.A. in India, in Search of Fans and Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TreeRollins, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

USA USA USA

2. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

LOL you can't even see the distant buildings because the air is so disgusting.

That's right, half a million Indians dead every year from inhaling burnt feces. Can't wait to go over there for some "fine dining."

1 person likes this.
  3. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

I Love America as well , but it seems f'n ridiculous when ignorant people talk about things without knowing more or full information .

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I know, right.

#64 GlenRice, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

LOL at JCDenton emerging from the woodwork to spread some hateful, ignorant vitriol.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's called bottled water, donkey.

They have tons of 5 star hotels and restaurants. One of these days, you'll be able to afford a visit.

7. teknokid

teknokid Member

We should combine this tread with the US culture thread. JCDenton is highlighting one of the US culture; ignorant and lacking the knowledge outside of the state.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hey you leave JCDenton, Glen Rice and their buddies alone!

[​IMG]

9. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Don't let the FACTS about India's air and water quality get in the way of your haughty politically correct pretentiousness.

10. SunsRocketsfan

ok lets get some facts in :)
    CLearly there are ignorant Americans.. however you cant ignore the fact that India does have out of control poverty, dirty slums, air pollution and where people live in their own feces. These are facts that you can not ignore. Of course there are nice places also with 5 star hotels but India on the average is not a decent place to live right now unless you are the super rich and in that case you can live in comfort almost anywhere.

11. SunsRocketsfan

oh and india has the most expensive home in the world at 1 billion dollars
    [​IMG]

It's butt ugly though

ok back on to the original topic.. its only a matter of time when we get the first Indian player in the NbA. The player might not be a star at first but eventually there will be more and more foreign players in the league. Let's not forget the first China Chinese player was Wang Zhi Zhi and he was overall pretty crappy. We then had Meng bateer before we finally got a Yao. Yi is also a decent player. But even if India did find a Yao its hard to imagine with the culture over there that hte people would be as crazy as the Chinese are of Yao.

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Even though India/China have it worst, pretty much the whole world is overpopulated. America included. If Indian/Chinese economies continue to grow and they even get a sniff of the ridiculously lavish way we live here, we are going to suck this planet's teats dry in no time flat.

We are all so screwed.

... Aaand now back to the topic at hand. Would be very cool to see a even remotely significant player come from India (or even a player raised in America of Indian ethnicity).

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

And I wish I could edit my post, but to those (JCD, GlenRice, etc) who are hating, what are you trying to accomplish with your garbage? I guess I'll feed the trolls a little bit here. Yes, India isn't the most comfortable and healthy country in the world, but what's your point? There is still plenty of 1st class development, technological progress, and smart people as well. I know there are many more slums and uneducated people, but how does that mean they're stuck in the "stone age"? (Which is where we're all going to be in another few decades at the rate we're going, btw, but I digress again.)

I mean what are you trying to convince people of by hating on the country? Are you just bitter that their economy is growing and they're sucking jobs away from America? Really, I don't understand the point of your comments, whether they're true or not. They're only going to serve to upset people, and they don't tell a lot of the story.

14. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Lmao people here getting offended because I said their country is not so nice.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Your post wasn't really so much offensive as it was just confusing/unnecessary.

But "lmao"ing is a typical troll way of backing out of a corner. Grats on that.

16. da1

da1 Member

And the racist bigots let loose.

Idiots.

17. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I was born in Houston, both parents are from India, Kerala specifically. Been to India numerous times.

Basketball will take off in India. My cousins over there love it already. However they only get to see the biggest games because that is what is broadcast on TV. Also the games are on at odd times and most people don’t like tape delays.

India is very different than the US for children. When not in school or their after school tutoring programs (many do this) they are outside all day playing sports. If you give them a ball and a hoop, basketball is what they will play. Just a ball, they will play soccer, small ball and some sticks and a cricket game will break out.

Like many other developing countries there is not ton for kids to do. Video games are not mainstream like they are here. Libraries, internet, are emerging but it is not in every neighborhood like here in the States, especially not the poor ones. So kids play outside. At the same time there isn’t a YMCA league for 2-4 year olds, followed by little league, Pop Warner, etc for kids to truly develop into premier athletes like they can in the US. I just wanted to add that to prevent the, “If Indians play sports all day why are there so few Indian pro athletes? “ question.

Indians love everything about the West. McDonald's, Friends, Polo, Nike, Levis are all HUGE over there. Basketball is just another thing that will be of interest when they get the marketing and the timing right.

18. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Play the racist card as soon as someone disagreers with you beliefs. Typical :rolleyes:

#78 GlenRice, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  19. hmittal

hmittal Member

Good thing that David Stern is making the business decisions for the NBA and not the people on here. India and China are the 2 most growing economies in the world and Basketbal is a growing sport; although I agree it will take time to catch on becuase of the time difference especially for the live games. For those people who say India is a 3rd world country apparently have not visited. 25% of India's population is considered middle class thats equal to 250million people, 50 million less than the entire American population. So there is defenitely a new market for the NBA to dive into, good for David Stern for recognizing it.

20. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

You know why GlenRice, and JCDenton are really mad right....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/brj2UkUPjCI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/brj2UkUPjCI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lol....but on a serious note, to bring this thread back on topic, basketball has grown considerably in the last 30 years in India as well as Indian-Americans. With Indians such as myself and others having grown up here, playing HS basketball here, and relaying our experience, pictures, awards, trophies to cousins etc from overseas, we've been planting seeds for the last 30 years. I know there are plenty of Indian kids on College basketball teams now, and there's even rumors of some 7 ft pakistani kid from Toronto that has possible NBA chances.

The future is not as far as it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.