1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] N.B.A. in India, in Search of Fans and Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TreeRollins, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Fans will come slowly,players very,very,slowly. I'm not Indian,but cricket is king there.

2. mazinger

mazinger Member

**** you stern. If Yao was so important, you should have told the refs to give him the same calls that Kobe, Lebron and all your other babies get.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

When I was there a few years ago, I could not believe the amount of beggars that surround your taxi at every light. I'm Indian, but was visiting India after like 10 years. At least 10-20 kids begging at every stop. Very very depressing. :(

4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Oklahoma already had a franchise, didn't it?

5. httx713

httx713 Member

One of the most populated countries ?? Sean kemp, Calvin Murphy, Larry Bird, Dr J and others wont have a problem finding dates. :grin:

6. AggieRocketsFan

A 7-foot-2 youngster is dubbed India's Yao Ming

7. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

"Fine dining" in a country where you can't even drink the water? LOL at all the apologists for a stone-age country.

8. Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear Member

It is.

9. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

It depends on where you go/stay.

10. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Have you actually visited India? or you came to that conclusion from a graph?

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

You my friend are not exactly Mr Current Affairs are you? Half on the Technology that you guys enjoy are largely contributions from Indian scientists, techos and other geeks.

Im not Indian but India is an up and coming super power while your country is on its way down. The last Finacial Crisis will be a joke compared to what you guys are about to face in the next decade or so.

I just hope you dont take the rest of us down with you like the last time.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Deodorant must not be one of those contributions. More than half of them stink up my workplace.

13. R0ckets03

I'm Indian and I completely see your point. Its the heavy heavy heavy use of garlic, ginger and other spices.

I had a friend, Indian dude. His mom used to run a catering business out of her house.

He always smelled like crazy. He would say that he showered twice a day, but it was a small apartment and the mom would always be cooking. No matter how much he showered, or how much deodarant and cologne he used, he would smell within five min of showering.

14. R0ckets03

You don't get out much from TX do you?

Is India a poor country? No ****!

It is however changing at a really rapid pace. Bombay and India overall have some of the best and diverse dining and fine dining options you can find anywhere in the world.

Dumb ass.

15. R0ckets03

Most of it is, but maybe some of us aren't afraid to get out of comfortable plushy lives in the US?

16. htown11

htown11 Member

LOL at this poor attempt at being witty. The misconception you have is a bit disturbing, but I guess Slumdog Millionaire was a good enough history lesson for you.

You make it sound like India doesn't have fine dining and the finer things in life. If you make money you live like a king in India. The disparity between rich an poor is sad to witness, but if you are a go getter the so called "stone-age country" quickly becomes a luxurious worry free life.

This is a huge market to tap into anyone surprised at this news has been living on another planet....

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

India is like China, but their religious beliefs is the major barrier for their overall economic advancement. They've cut all their trees to traditionally burn the dead bodies, they bath and drink water from Ganges river when there's tons of dead carcasses. BTW, I'm not generalizing. By saying 'they', I mean those who live under the traditional Hinduism.

And oh yeah, apparently they don't wipe their butts with toilet papers. They use their hands...

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

18. teknokid

teknokid Member

And you make it sound like India didn't enjoy any contribution from the US.
    Up and coming super power means nothing unless you are already super power. There have been numerous up and comping super power who never made it. Come talk when it becomes one, till then, they really don't have much to argue at this time.

19. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

And yet they all come here to the U.S for the education.

God bless America.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm in India right now so I'll try to shed some light on this topic but I quoted this post because its so asinine. Hinduism has absolutely nothing to do with this outside of continued discrimination because of the caste system (which is still a huge problem)

Religion has a lot less to do with this than you think. India is a very sectarian society that is run by a democratic government in a country where only the poor vote. As a result there is very little political incentive or will to do fundamental things like infrastructure development and basic utilities that we take for granted.

For example, Indian roads in many parts are a mess because they aren't wide enough to deal with the traffic. The solution should be to widen them but many poor wont accept the compensation and the government is too corrupt and incompetent at times to compensate people properly. Additionally there's just a ton of red tape and bureaucracy in everything that makes infrastructure changes move so slowly.

As a result basic services dont advance as fast as one would reasonably expect. On the other hand the Chinese government has the luxury of being able to do anything with the stroke of a pen. They are able to swiftly implement any changes that they want. The Chinese have also done a far better job with things like child nutrition and literacy because the central government is able to exercise authority across China efficiently unlike the decentralized Indian state and local governments that struggle to do anything. Corruption is a much larger problem in India when you have such a large bureaucracy unlike the Chinese.

Also one of the most frustrating things I find about the comments in this thread is that they're based on a very limited experience. For example, India's most famous landmark, the Taj Mahal, is also located in one of the worst and dirtiest cities in India. Agra is an absolute dump at times and I personally cant stand being there. On the other hand take a 5 hour drive to Jaipur in Rajasthan and you'll find well run tourism sites that are clean and modern. Even the people that hawk useless crap at tourism sites are much nicer.

Also the economic growth of India is primarily generated in the Southern part of India, yet that is also the least visited place in India. Kerala for example has a literacy rate that rivals developed countries yet I doubt anyone who has posted here has been there. (and there's tons to see there too) And if you're really obsessed with economic development you can go to Bangalore or Hyderabad and see all of the IT growth in the South. (you'll also find less beggars in the South as well on average)

Its just frustrating to see threads like this when the comments are based on misinformation and limited experience. That's not to say India is perfect by any means (I could make a laundry list of criticisms and problems and I've generally agreed that China's development model has been light years ahead of India's) but I think India is still a wonderful place to visit.

Anyway /rant

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.