1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] China Fans Ask, Will Yao Ming's Baby Be American?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devilsdandruff, Mar 3, 2010.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

WRONG

[​IMG]

2. SergioValencia

LMAO...

3. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

mayb Yao will want the child to be born here so she wont be handcuffed to do watever she chooses by the communist gov't.. i say that would be a smart move by Yao.. hmmm let me think, would I want my kid to be under a democracy or a communist govt? hmm i think its a no brainer

4. tomjc

tomjc Member

See post #74 of page 4.

5. tomjc

tomjc Member

Edited: Post #72

6. Trip

Trip Member

She'll be the daughter of the richest Chinese athlete. I don't think she will be restricted in any way. If she does grow up in China she'll likely attend International School and enjoy the best of everything. Her standard of living will be no worse than it will be in the States. The Chinese students you see on Western university campuses today are mostly children of wealthy Chinese. You don't see the Chinese government restricting them.

7. worzel gummidge

What would you choose? A hospital in China feeding babies with chinese milk or any other place :p

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

She will be a "dual citizen". not in the true sense tho. it will prolly be either chinese passport/permanent US resident or vice versa. either way, she will be able to come and go as she pleases. as far as playing on some sort of national team... let's wait til she can at least play games. Yao's daughters will be just as important as his sons. b/c if the yao gene is present every other generation, then his daughter's children will be the ones everyone is clamoring for.

9. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

I understand how Yao feels about his country. I have followed him before the draft, read his book, etc. etc.

How much you wanna bet that the baby is born in the states?

10. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Just like his father. :p

11. ktkt

ktkt New Member

:confused: No ! must be chinese

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

You may be right. I think his silence says a lot in the below article, I think he wouldn't be so tight lipped if he were going to have the baby in China.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...J02qm8vLYF?slug=ap-yao-baby&prov=ap&type=lgns

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Lol what? He's a national hero. Why should they not be allowed to care?

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

How about just delivery the baby on an airplane...so nobody can claim what country she's born..

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He was probably referring to the gender imbalance in China.

119 boys born per 100 girls. Rises to 130 boys per 100 girls in some rural areas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8451289.stm

16. devilsdandruff

here's some more from ESPN
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4961256

17. Pulp

Pulp Member

I am Chinese and I don't give a rat ass

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Doctors might be fine with it, but airlines are not any more. Simply because A. there is too much risk/crisis for them to deal with if the baby decides to come to the world during the flight. B. It was reported that the born place/citizenship for the baby could lead to dispute/controversy - which part of the air is the baby born.

I think airlines now are restricting pregnant women with close due date to get on the plane, especially international flights.

19. YaodaMing

YaodaMing Member

First yao examined his baby's gender illegally,now this?
    Is it that bad that being a chinese?

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

This is a legal question which is a certain conflict of laws between USA and China. If the child is born in the US, how should the US handle this? Will the citizenship of the child be dependent on the place where she was born or the citizenship of her parents (esp. the father)?. Consult first US law if ever the child will be born there. If not, consult the law of the place where she will be born. If in China, then we will have no problem :)