1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ny times - big drop in percentage of americans calling themselves christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faust, May 13, 2015.

1. Faust

Faust Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/u...calling-themselves-christian.html?rref=upshot

this kinda makes me sad because i think our country is gonna lose something that keeps us together. we become so far apart on politics that the only left is religion and now thats dropping.

but when you think about the negatives like how christmas has nothing to do with religion anymore, denying evolution, being narrowminded about science and stuff its good that people are becoming unaffiliated or "none". in one of my classes the teacher asked us about our beliefs and i think most of the class was athiest or agnostic. in a few years those people gonna have kids and pretty soon only like a third of american families will be christian like they are in europe. idk why the jews, moslems, and hindus aren't declining b.c they are the richest groups though so maybe the yuppie theory is wrong.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

1 person likes this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Now this is what I call Good News.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Brothers if you could give me your email I'd like to share the good news with you. Pls repond.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think folks would be alot of more accepting of religion if terrible people didnt use it as an excuse to do terrible things to other people.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As scientific knowledge expands, myths become less accepted. You can't have obviously ridiculous stories as the absolute word of your god and expect to retain any respect for your deity (without coercion).

Scientific knowledge and social philosophies shouldn't be combined. It's strange to me that in thousands of years, no basic philosophy reveals any universal truths about living this human life with purpose, peace and peace of mind, and achieves any widespread acceptance. I guess we are still instinctual animals.

I wish Gene Roddenberry had started a movement instead of L. Ron Hubbard.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It says 6 out of 10 which means 4 out of 10 wouldn't rather have a gay leader. 40 percent is more than the number of republicans in this country, so I'm still pretty sure America has it's fair share of homophobes.

11. Mr. Clutch

So if you would rather have an evangelical President, you're a homophone?

Wow.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm with Mr. clutch here. That poll choice is like a double whammy to post gays and evangelicals lol. Fallacious poll.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There will be no place for religion once the singularity comes to fruition. Man and machine will finally become one and the same and our evolution will become so rampant it will make comparing 2000 to 2050 like comparing The Dark Ages to now.

14. Mr. Clutch

I for one, will worship our robot overlords

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

and there still won't be flying cars.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . .now they will simply find something else
    most likely science

If you can 'scientifically' prove something now .. . . people don't question it

Evil people are evil
    the tools they use to do evil are irrelevent

Christianity has allowed itself to be hijack by charlatans and false prophets for profit
    The most hateful and shameful among them . .. are not christians but people taking advantage of the faithful

I also think . . .. . to an extent . . . . we have alot more anti-christian input nowadays than ever. Not hard to find the Christian villian in a movie . . . the Christian lampooned in the show . . .etc etc .. . . .loosely translated their PR sucks nowadays

It will be interesting to see how this plays out

Rocket River

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If the trend continue, unaffiliated would become the majority @ ~40% of the population in the 2030s.

Technology will accelerate the trends.

Until recently I rarely heard of someone opening saying I'm agnostic, in a household full of devoted Christians nevertheless.

Good news is, less religious driven agenda that are negative to society progressing.

Bad news is, less leveraging of all the good moral teachings and there is an unknown of what drive the unaffiliated. I hope it's more about being educated and gaining insights into their own mind and what make them truly happy.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I believe that as long as people have a partially unified moral code and a belief in rule of law, then it shouldn't be such a bad thing.

Albert Einstein was a Jew and countless other people with "scientific knowledge" practice religion. Not sure what scientific knowledge has to do with religion, but go ahead and believe whatever out-dated theories you have.

19. Mr. Clutch

Of course if you criticize Islam you're being irresponsible and should expect to be attacked

20. Nook

Nook Member

I has wombats trapped under my toenails....

Ohhh meow.... please help me free the teeth in my nose

DAR DAR

JAR JAR