1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Tea Party Gov candidate: move welfare recepients to prison dorm/re-education camp

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You could not make this ***** up if you tried:

What I don't get is if it's voluntary, then why would you need to use prison guards who have been additionally trained to be counselors? Wouldn't social workers be more ideal? What a prick.

2. Major

Major Member

What is amazing is that this guy, while trailing Lazio with an uphill battle, actually not a totally fringe candidate. He's a longshot but within striking distance of the GOP nomination - he's been moving up the polls and has lots of money to spend.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I hope he wins the GOP nomination. The swing voters in the main election will find him so polarizing, that they won't vote for him.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wish I could be surprised by this, but I am not. Republicans are convinced all rich people got that way by overcoming the odds (mainly oppresive taxes and affirmative action) and working their butts off, they only create jobs and opportunity never situations like Enron, Worldcom, Tyco, etc. The poor of course got that way from poor laziness, they like living in government housing, on foodstamps, and Medicaid.

Prisons have worked so well in keeping us safe from crime it stands to reason that they could keep us safe from the welfare folks as well.

There will be no national uproar about this because quite honestly there are millions of Rush and Beck listeners that would have no problem if this happened.

5. Major

Major Member

It doesn't really appear to matter in the long run, except that it will make for great soundbites and things to make fun of. The Dem (Cuomo) is destroying both of the GOP options in the general election. He's up by something like 30 points.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Me too! No problem for Cuomo with that one.

[edit] Oops! what Major said

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is like Prison Camp Job Corps for the public poor. Yes perhaps adults need outreach and education programs, not just youths. I suppose you can have it be voluntary labor workers for the state, giving people community service busy work instead of just having them collect. (I've advocated keeping illegals out and putting US welfare recipients out in the strawberry fields instead). But some of the language doesnt come across too well.

Hygiene and fitness. Do these poor people need to gel their hair too? This is like advanced guido douchebag areas of importance.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Since most prisons are outside of cities and towns, in the country, this would relocate these people away from where most New Yorkers live. What a coincidence.

9. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

This isn't a bad idea, you're all just sensationalizing it because prisons happened to be the available buildings that would be feasible to use at low cost. How many trillions have leftists spent in their failed "war on poverty" with no results? It's time to try something different. Most but not all welfare recipients are pretty trashy. You're lying to yourself if you don't think they need some help with their hygiene, among other things. Businesses can't be expected to hire dirty bums (to put it nicely). A bit of boot camp is a hell of a lot more likely to turn them into productive citizens than giving them welfare handouts to spend on whatever they please.

And Deckard, I don't think it's a coincidence that these people would be relocated away from where most New Yorkers live. I'm sure it was immediately recognized as one of the largest benefits of the plan. Nobody wants to live around these people. It's doubly bad to have to fund them and then have to be around them regardless. The problem is particularly acute in NY. Perhaps you're not aware of how housing works there, but apartments have to set aside large numbers of units for poors. They pay drastically reduced rent, which is made up for by overcharging the other tenants. So if you live in NY, you pay double rent for the privilege of living next to a poor, who is more likely to be loud, commit crimes, etc than a paying tenant.

I'm all for making this mandatory after a certain amount of time on the rolls. Obviously it's not for people who are just temporarily down on their luck, but the lifers can use a nice hard kick in the ass.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

Thanks for posting. It was getting kind of boring in this thread with everyone agreeing that this guy was stupid. It's very nice of you to join the discussion pretending to be completely ignorant and insane just so that we could be entertained.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Yeah, I keep staring at that post trying to figure out if it's supposed to be satirical or not.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I know alot of yall dont go into GARM anymore, if you did you would know that JCDenton posts to piss people off...your classic troll.

Also well known for promising to leave the board if his prediction of Martin's productivity was wrong, but of course being the huge weenie he is, totally wussed out on that.

Just ignore him and move on like most folks do.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

How could his prediction of Martin's productivity have been wrong? I read somewhere that he was the official Clutchfans statistical genius.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would you all be up in arms about a VOLUNTARY program that would allow the poor to have work, housing, and training? Just because the building they are using was once a prison? Are you mad that Alcatraz is used as a state park? As for retraining guards instead of using social workers, I would imagine that it is so they don't all get laid off when the prison is transformed into this new program. Were I a poor person (especially a homeless person), I would certainly prefer going to a facility where I can get a government job plus three hots and a cot instead of living on the streets of New York, especially in the wintertime, no job, begging for handouts either from the government or passersby.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Let me graph that for you...
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing that some supporters of this proposal have never actually worked in the human services field.

1 person likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"Are there no workhouses? Are there no prisons?" - Ebenezer Scrooge

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Although if you've been in some of those places, it might not look so bad. Rashmon's picture and Max's quote are hilarious though.

18. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Weren't you informed? This web forum is basically the Houston arm of DailyKos, and anything other than taxpayer-funded largess for the poor is to be condemned in vague generalities about the "outrage" of it all. Don't expect them to narrow their umbrage to specific criticisms because they don't have any, just an unstated premise that the poor are somehow entitled to enjoy privileges at the expense of others with no obligation to pay their debt to society at some point in the future.

19. Buck Turgidson

"Eat the rich" - Motorhead

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought that was Krokus.

:confused: