1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Tabs on NY trades on other fabrications

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xiki, Sep 12, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/40082.htm

September 12, 2003 -- HOOP DU JOUR

NEWEST Net Alonzo Mourning hopes he'll get the opportunity to play defense alongside Dikembe Mutombo this season the way they used to asphyxiate opponents on a regular basis at Georgetown, but it isn't likely to happen.

According to sources, the Nets have revived efforts to sever their brief relationship with Mutombo, the 7-foot-2 center whose guaranteed contract has two years ($17,894,738 /$19,684,211) remaining.

Earlier in the summer Mutombo and Kenyon Martin nearly became Trail Blazers in exchange for Rasheed Wallace (the Nets' reluctance to accept Ruben Patterson instead of the now retired Arvydas Sabonis ultimately killed it), but the two parties recently resurrected somewhat similar conversation. Those close to Wallace say he's been informed things have heated up again and something may still go down.

Chances are a third team must be incorporated into the trade for it to occur. For example, the Raptors are infatuated with Mutombo. In fact, they're offering to send Antonio Davis ($12M/$12M/$13M, plus a 15 percent trade kicker) to the Blazers as part compensation. Wallace would end up in New Jersey and Martin in Portland.

Naturally, for cap purposes, other players would have to be included; Dale Davis says he's heard he may be included in that particular three-way.

Should the Nets be unable to maneuver Mutombo down their exit ramp via a trade the next option, I've learned, is to negotiate an amiable divorce agreement. There are signals coming from agent David Falk's office that his client would be willing to waive roughly $5M of his annual guarantee in order to get released on his own recognizance.

Once Mutombo cleared waivers, he'd be free to sign elsewhere (Raptors, Clippers, Blazers) for the mid-level exception in order to recoup the loss of revenue; probably even tap into some additional scratch on the backup.

"I don't see any problem with me and Dikembe playing on the same team," the chiseled Mourning declared after notching a robotic 25 points Wednesday at the Garden in an all-star game that was so devoid of defense that Escalade and the rest of the touring And1 Mix team was appalled.

"Why not try it first before dismantling it? A lot of people would want the problem of having the two of us," Mourning continued. "Imagine the two of us coming at teams in waves or in unison. For stretches we could shut teams down as a dual force. We'd stunt some teams' growth. I'll tell you what, until something happens to the contrary I'm going to figure we're going to be teammates again. All the other stuff is simply speculation until proven different."

Nick Van Exel says his controversial days are behind him. Consequently, there is no way he'll demand a trade or not report to the Warriors' camp in early October.

"Things aren't that bad," he underlined. Still, his trade from Dallas, a legit championship contender, to lottery-lock Golden State, which appears to have regressed during the offseason, doesn't exactly have him yearning for commencement exercises.

"I've gone through too much to be back with a bad team," he said, grimacing. It's not a situation, he suggests, that will bring out the best in him. Without any prodding on my part or hedging on his, Van Exel says the team he wants to play for is the Knicks, whom, coincidentally, are desperate as usual for just such an amped-up offensive point guard.

"I hear things," he stated. "I don't know for a fact the Knicks want me but I hear my name has come up in some trade talk. Nothing would please me more than being reunited with Antonio [McDyess]," whom he reports is progressing nicely.

"I don't want to jinx him," Van Exel cringed, knocking on wood, "But he's moving well straight up and down in light workouts."

The Pacers are definitely trying to concoct a trade in order to create cap room for a point guard. Kenny Anderson is the No. 1 option, reveal sources. Yet the more Rick Carlisle eyeballs the multiplicity and masculinity of Ron Artest and Al Harrington, the safer they become. In other words, that exposes Jonathan Bender and Austin Croshere as trade bait.

"They want Kenny and he wants them," alerts a hall monitor. "Look for a decision next week. "If the Pacers can't free up the money and years Kenny wants, he'll either settle for the veteran minimum or sign with the Hawks where he lives."

Indiana's plan B is Mark Jackson; Omar Cook is being brought into camp minus any guarantees. Despite what you may have read elsewhere, Jackson is not considering signing with the Blazers without being G-ed up and never was. Should the Pacers decide against bringing him back for a third hitch, the Spurs and Heat (Rafer Alston is Miami's only legit playmaker) are distinct possibilities . . . Hawk restricted free agent Jason Terry was expected to sign an offer sheet with the Jazz a week ago, but might have been scared off by Atlanta which vows to match to the max.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/116891p-105422c.html

Knicks talk Van Exel deal

Nick Van Exel's crusade to join the Knicks this season could become a reality.
    According to a league source, the Knicks and Warriors have discussed a trade that would bring Van Exel to New York and send power forward Kurt Thomas and point guard Charlie Ward to Golden State.

The potential deal makes sense for the Knicks, who have been in the market for an explosive point guard for the past decade. The Knicks also have an abundance of power forwards on their roster, including Antonio McDyess, Keith Van Horn and rookies Mike Sweetney and Maciej Lampe.

The Knicks would prefer to trade either Clarence Weatherspoon or Othella Harrington but have been unable to find any suitors.

Golden State got Van Exel from Dallas last month in a deal that included Antawn Jamison. Van Exel, who thrived in the playoffs last spring, said Wednesday that he would prefer to play for the Knicks.

By rerouting Van Exel to the Knicks, the Warriors could save a considerable amount of money. Van Exel is scheduled to make $11 million this season and $11.8 million in 2004-04. His contract for the 2005-06 season is not guaranteed.

Ward and Thomas will make a combined $11.3 million this season, which would make a deal for Van Exel work under the NBA's salary cap rules. However, Ward's $6 million contract can be bought out for $2 million.

Frank Isola Originally published on September 12, 2003

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If that Van Exel deal goes down for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward then New York is a lock for the playoffs. Not only do they get a big time PG but another go-to guy. Assuming McDyess is healthy, and I think he will be, he, Houston and Van Exel are a strong trio and can carry that team on its own. The deal is good for Golden State as far as cutting salary to go after people, but the Warriors are no where near a .500 team this year.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It is only good for GS if they are trying to tank.

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

wallace on the nets would be nasty

the one i read had the nets getting D Davis, Sheed and L Murray

damn a line-up of Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson, Wallace, Mourning with D Davis, Murray, Collins, Planicic, Harris, Rogers, A Williams off the bench.