1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Yankees on brink of landing Cliff Lee

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Jul 9, 2010.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_on_brink_of_landing_cliff_b7oJw63k0cUXVdd02uuU1I

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/hardball/up_yanks_on_verge_of_getting_lee_JOOn3RUrrsDUBcuIwvVUXN

Strange, they've gotten great production from their pitching staff this year, and Lee seems adamant on test free agency. You'd think they'd try to sign him without giving up a blue-chipper like Montero.

I imagine Vazquez is going to be moved now. To the Phillies for Jayson Werth maybe?

2. Rocketfanatic2

Just what the Yankees need: another consistently good starter. Their ability to land great players makes me sick to my stomach. Nice find by the way.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm skeptical. Joel Sherman doesn't have the highest credibility.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Yesterday, analysts were sure he was going to Texas. What changed?

5. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

ESPN is running with the report. Buster Olney is about to discuss the potential trade on Sportscenter.

6. justtxyank

Keep us updated CountingCrow. Rep for you if you give a good breakdown.

7. justtxyank

If the report is true, the Yankees have made one of the elite prospects in all of baseball available.

8. countingcrow

Olney basically said that the Mariners and Yanks discussed Lee a few days ago but that the price was too high. Fast forward to late last night when Seattle contacted the Yanks and lowered their trade demands. Olney's reasoning for the Yanks going for broke on Lee is the fact that they'd rather give up the prospects and acquire him now instead of waiting until the offseason because the Rays have been in contact with the Mariners about Lee. The Yanks remember what Lee against them in the World Series last season and would prefer not to have to face him again this time around. Olney also said that there is a belief that the Yanks would have a better chance of retaining Lee if they were to acquire him now as they wouldn't have to sell him on New York this offseason since he'll already have spent half a season with them.

Olney also pointed out that there has been discussions between the Yanks and Phillies about a Jayson Werth for Javier Vazquez swap. This makes sense considering that acquiring Lee gives the Yanks a six man rotation without any logical pitcher to move to the bullpen considering the fact that Phil Hughes has pitched so well as a starter this season.

That about wraps it up.

2 people like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and the day before they were sure he was going to Minnesota

10. justtxyank

Thanks for the recap bro. I have bestowed rep upon you.

This is insane. If the Yankees acquire Lee and Werth...

11. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Awesome... If they were to land both Lee and Werth, that team would be crazy good.

12. dharocks

I think they'll regret trading Montero though. Unless Lee forgoes FA and signs an extension (and I don't believe Brian Cashman EVER extends players during the season anyway), there could be a lot of people asking "Why not just wait to sign Lee in the offseason"? And it's a legitimate question. The Yankees, currently composed, should be the favorites to win the World Series WITHOUT Lee.

And regardless of whether he stays at catcher or not, I think Montero projects to be a special hitter. Miguel Cabrera/Manny Ramirez-esque, if he lives up to his potential.

13. countingcrow

Olney also pointed out that by the Yanks trading for Lee now instead of waiting to sign him in the offseason they will not have to give up any draft picks as compensation for signing a Type A free agent which assuredly would have included at least one first round pick. Montero has a chance to be a special player but he's not nearly as valuable if he doesn't stick as a catcher. The Yanks are a veteran team so they might as well go for broke and give themselves the best shot at winning it all for the second season in a row.

14. dharocks

But if we're assuming that the Yanks would sign Lee, this is basically saying that having a better shot at the WS this year (when the starting rotation is already a strength) + a 1st round draft choice = Montero. Not sure I agree with that.

Either way, it's not necessarily a bad deal, especially since the Yanks have Romine and Sanchez, but it's not a slam dunk either, IMO.

15. countingcrow

I agree completely that they have a strong rotation as it stands now but they DO NOT want to take the chance that any of the other potential AL playoff teams add Lee to their rotations simply because the Yanks haven't had much success facing Lee as of late. If you can't beat em, trade for em.

16. countingcrow

And isn't winning the WS all the Yanks play for?

I'm not trying to underscore the importance of maintaining a deep farm system, but if they feel like this acquisition gives them a far better shot at winning it all again this season why shouldn't they make the move?

As good of a prospect as Montero is, there is no guarantee that he will realize his potential. Look at Baltimore's prized young catcher Matt Wieters for instance. He was supposed to be the best young catcher (sans Mauer) to appear on the major league scene in a while and he has struggled mightily over his first 1.5 seasons at the ML level.

17. dharocks

The argument is, if Montero turns out to be Miguel Cabrera, the Yankees could potentially have a better shot at winning many more WS with both Montero AND Lee. And they still have the best shot of anyone in baseball right now without Lee.

Even if they keep Montero and don't trade for Lee, Lee ain't signing an extension. He's going to hit the FA market. This strikes me as either a very short-sighted move, or a move made out of fear that the Rays are going to swoop in and get him for trash (i.e., B.J. Upton).

EDIT: Davidoff tweeted that the M's are telling other teams that they're out of the Lee sweepstakes. Looks like it's going to be NY. No one's gonna beat the Yanks this year. Still think Montero could be Jay Buhner redux ;)

(Except Cliff Lee isn't Ken Phelps)

18. Major

Major Member

On a side note, this is good for the Astros. The fact that a premiere prospect is involved in the Lee trade sets a higher market for Oswalt. And, the fact that all these other teams didn't get him might make them more desperate chasing Oswalt since he's now the best pitcher on the market.

19. justtxyank

Not likely. Lee was always more valuable than Oswalt. The Astros are not going to come close to getting a prospect of Montero's caliber, particularly since the reports are that Drayton is still reluctant to pay much if any of Oswalt's salary.

20. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I dont understand how the Yankee's always have the farm system to make the deadline trades every single year.