1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY POST: KIDD "Fire Byron or else"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by smackpeddler, Jul 10, 2003.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope there are people that remember that if it wasn't for his assistant, Eddie Jordan, Byron Scott wouldn't look so good. Sorry to say, but Scott sucks at coaching. There is only 2 plays in the guy's book

1. Squat on the sidelines with a finger near your mouth to look like you actually know what you're doing.

2. Give the ball to Jason Kidd

He has no real schemes--defensively or offensively. Eddie Jordan actually tried to help the team by running through plays and what not. And if you can recall back, there were a lot of people saying that the Nets are gonna be in trouble if Jordan left to become a coach..and he has.

Basically, IMO, i doubt Kidd would have made a demand like this. AND this is coming from the NEW YORK post. Same paper that employs Vescey. SO take it for what it's worth.

2. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

First of all, let's get this straight....Payton has been the best PG for the past several years. Whether it be posting up, penetrating, scoring(as well as in the halfcourt), defense, etc....Payton is better

That being said....let Kidd go to the Spurs.
    Why not let the Spurs 're-up', the rest of the West is better whether it be due to draft picks, free agents, or just a young team with more experience under it's belt.

Just show more pics of Mrs. Kidd!

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Here you go. An good source of info! :)

YES Network (Nets/Yankee channel) told a friend of mine who told me that the Nets on the DL offered Eddie Jordan a TON of money to stay. Supposedly Kidd LOVED Eddie J and wanted him to stay but Eddie J wanted the Nets to PUT IN WRITING that he would be the next head coach. Well, Byrons contract ends after NEXT year so they didn't want to create the lameduck going in. The Nets told Eddie J. that they can't do that. They didn't know that Kidd would say what he did.

Plus, there are people saying that including the firing of the coach, Kidd wants Mourning in Jersey and to resign Lucius Harris and wants more input on team decisions.

So, if you wanted to know where all the "insiders" went, there you go! :)

But this is probably posted somewhere else anyway. :D

#23 Almu, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

don't overstate this....Kidd is a better dribbler, fastbreaker, passer, and thus can produce easier points. He runs a better half-court offense, too. I love Payton, but I'm not going to say Payton makes his teammates better like Kidd does. The fastbreaking alone makes his teammates better.

also, Jason Kidd is a reigning 1st Team Defender. Payton is the best ever at PG, but Jason is #2 right now.

I'd call them dead even in overall impact.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It isn't just the NYP, it is everywhere. As posted in another thread--some people who I normally think are reliable (capologists) think a 6 year max deal with 12.5 yearly increases is the max Kidd can get with the Nets because he would be 37 or 38 for the 7 year (where as with Webber he was just young enough, obviously J Oneal is young enough too). Thus the difference between the NJ and SA deal is only 2.5% extra yearly increases over 6 years in NJ.

Again, I don't know whether true--but mixed sources I consider reliable disagree on what kind of contract Kidd can receive from NJ (6 year max or 7 year max deal with 12.5 increases).

6. Desert Scar

Also, Kidd is a great player and great floor leader--but really seems like an ass. I don't want him to SA, and do think Scott is a dufus game coach--but to publically let this out is lame. And of course I not touching upon slapping his wife (which was well documented--some reports out of Phx also suggest there was other abusive behavior too)--a whole another indicator of his off the court character.

7. Major

Major Member

I don't want him to SA, and do think Scott is a dufus game coach--but to publically let this out is lame.

Kidd didn't make this public:

<I>The All-Star point guard, according to several league sources, delivered his request during a midtown meeting Tuesday night with his agent, team owners and club president Rod Thorn.</I>

"league sources" did.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

People are really saying that Kidd won't get offered 7yrs via NJ or SnT. That's ridiculous.

So, on one hand people say, "a ring is worth more to Kidd than a $26m difference in a 6 vs 7yr deal to stay a finalist in the East. Then why wouldn't the other side of the deal be true, too. ie, NJ losing Kidd is not worth arguing over a 7th year.

It's not just about what NJ would offer or not. It's about Kidd's max Bird rights (SnTs included) vs a 6yr deal. NJ can't just let him go without offering the max via signing him or trying to deal him. Squabbling over a 7th year is suicide for NJ.

9. Desert Scar

My point is some reliable sources are saying NJ is resticted from the CBA to only offer Kidd a 6 year max deal because that 7th year is not allowed because he would be 37 or 38. In other words there might be a CBA clause you can only get max 7 year deals if for the 7th year you are 37 or less for that final year. It is why Webber could (barely) get a 7 year deal last year, why J Oneal will get a 7 year deal this year, but why Kidd can only get a 6 year deal this year. Thus by this argument NJ isn't squabbling, they are restricted by CBA rules from offering that 7th year. Again I don't have verification--I am just posting the counter argument--though I will add people who normally are reliable on contract/CBA matters are disagreeing about whether a 7th year can be offered at all by NJ.

10. Desert Scar

OK if Kidd or his people didn't leak this that is really weird. That makes me think NJ people did to make him look bad--normally a sign he is leaving.

11. Desert Scar

HP if you are right than I can't fathom NJ not offering a 7 year 120 mil deal. They only reason they wouldn't is they really don't want him back.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you are writing about the whole playoffs, this is the dumbest statement I've read today. How many games did the Nets lose to the Pistons and the Celtics. Man, that was some really pathetic coaching and everyone knows that the Nets were the clear favorite to win the championship. I mean, they should have swept San Antonio.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. mfclark

mfclark Member

HP's right - the Nets aren't limited (other than the normal 7yrs) to the length of contract they can offer Kidd.

14. Desert Scar

HP--Larry Coon seems to now think the Nets are only allowed to offer 99 mil to Kidd--be it 6 or 7th years--thus no reason to stretch it to 7 though they could if they reduced the starting salalry. It seems they need the NBA to get back to them to be definitive--but it looks like Kidd can't get the 7 year 122 mil deal.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=150002

15. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Kidd calling for the firing of Scott is very interesting when one remembers that a player-led revolt led to Lou Campanelli's firing during Kidd's first year at Cal. I forget who was alleged to have been the ringleader, but a group of kids on the team went straight to the AD and asked for Lou to be fired. Lou was fired, the interim coach (Todd Bozeman) turned the team around, and Cal beat defending champion Duke to make the Sweet 16.

(Then a couple years later Bozeman got busted for giving cash to recruits, but Kidd was already long gone, having gone pro after his sophomore year.)

16. hooi

hooi Contributing Member

Yah,
    I was there (at the school) when that happened. I believe one of the players was Lamond Murry. He wasn't getting that many chances under Campenelli but really flowered afterwards.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I could agree to that.

What strikes me most about the stupidity of it all is that, if he was going to force his coach out, he should have done it a while back when all the coaches were on the market. You think maybe Eddie Jordan would have wanted the job, or Larry Brown? Van Gundy? Now, he's looking at Carlisle, Dunleavy or Fratello. I don't want to believe it all to be true because it would mean that Kidd is dumber than chocolate pants at an outdoor photographers' convention.

18. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

Jason kidd has forced a coach out of college, caused one to lose confidence in his ability (skiles) and is about to cause another to lose his job (scott). He has run a teammate out of town (van horn) caused a potential all star team to fail (d mavs with the three J's) over a girl, beat a girl in college, been involved in a hit and run, beat his wife and broken his sons collarbone(albeit on accident) All I got to say is What a punk. (plus he gets allthis credit for doing what Stephon Marbury couldnt...but remember Marbury did not have Jefferson, a healthy ( and experienced)martin or a center. This is a man who in the western conference could only dream of leading is former team to the Second round of the playoffs...the only time they did was when houston frequenter Penny hardaway was at the helm. Anyways I say screw him
    thank you

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed. he's setting this up as a way out. he's leaving.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Joumana Kidd says husband did not make demands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

It appears that reported demands made by Jason Kidd are a surprise to him as well.

Kidd's wife, Joumana, said her husband never demanded that the New Jersey Nets fire coach Byron Scott as a means of preventing his free-agent defection to the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

In a phone conversation with ESPN the Magazine's Ric Bucher, Joumana Kidd denied the reports that her husband delivered his request during a Tuesday night meeting with his agent, team owners and Nets president Rod Thorn.

She went on to say that the Nets would support her husband in that Kidd never made such a demand.

But Thorn issued a statement Thursday, saying he would keep his conversation with Kidd private.

"My policy since I became the President of the New Jersey Nets has been that all aspects of any free agent negotiations remain confidential, and that I will not make any specific comments until those negotiations have been concluded," the statement said. "In keeping with this policy as it pertains to the current Jason Kidd free agency negotiations, I will not be making any further comments until Jason makes his final decision."

According to a report in Thursday's New York Post, several league sources said Kidd would only return to the Nets if Scott was fired. The newspaper also says Kidd demanded that the team upgrade its talent.

Kidd and Thorn could not be reached for comment by the Post.

Agent Brian McInerney, who has represented Scott since his playing days as a Laker, told the Post that he spoke with Kidd's agent, Jeff Schwartz, after learning of the player's demands.

"I [talk] to Jeff Schwartz frequently and we both believe that whatever is decided should be decided in a professional manner and not in a public debate," McInerney told the newspaper Wednesday night. "I doubt the validity of this meeting without an official comment from Rod Thorn.

"These releases harm the franchise, harm the players, harm players' families. Everything should only be released through Rod Thorn."

According to one of the tabloid's sources, Kidd told ownership that his complaint stems from Scott's in-game coaching. After the Nets lost the NBA Finals in six games -- Scott was criticized for his fourth-quarter adjustments -- sources told the Post that Kidd told New Jersey's brass his son "T.J. could have coached a better quarter."

Scott wasn't buying it. Asked by the Post if he sensed any ill feelings or animosity from Kidd in their two seasons together, Scott quickly said, "No, not at all."

The two have appeared to be able to work together in the past and, according to the Post's account, have had an amicable relationship away from the court. But during the season there were rumblings of a rift, that Kidd disapproved of Scott's coaching decisions.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0710/1579087.html