1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Kevin Love demanding contract ext by Jan 15 or else ..

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by srrono, Jan 3, 2012.

1. what

what Member

i don't see any reason why it can't be love. time was they could block his shot or make him take shots near the arc for fear of being blocked. these days it's all the other team can due to hold love down on the block. with his offensive rebounding ability he almost has to be doubled.

the next step in love's development is passing out of the double team.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Fun player to follow but if I'm paying someone the max, I want it to be someone who is either (a) dominant on defense with a solid offensive game or (b) I can get them the ball in crunch time when I need a bucket and they can create and deliver more often than most can.

Kevin Love would be a great second or third option making Nene type money.

3. AFS

AFS Member

Problem for Minny is, someone will pay KLove the max for the kind of numbers he puts up. They have absolutely no chance of attracting a superstar to their team so they have to retain every one they get. Pay him the money, Kahn.

4. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

link

5. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

No way, Houston sign him!! lolol

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So, the Wolves are offering an extension of four years rather than the five they could offer? The guy has incredible talent. He's an All Star.

Granted, his talent hasn't equated to a lot of wins yet. The team is a little unbalanced as far as chemistry. Derrick Williams is a 4, less of a 3. Beasley is a 3/4. Randolph needs playing time or a trade. They need to upgrade the 2 spot.

Still, do you lowball a guy who's so good? Do you want him to walk?

Hell, let's trade our redundant talent and nab us some Kevin Love and Batum while we're at it. Show them some love, Morey. Batum can play the D that Love won't. Love can grab the boards. Lowry can set them up. :)

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Wait what?

1) He is an automatic 20-10 whenever he steps onto the floor; something Nene cannot do even if he tries

2) He is young and improving rapidly. Watch a few of his games and you will see his offensive improvement. He can get you buckets like an all-star should.

3) His weakness is defense; but most stars nowadays are not 2-way players. Only Lebron and Dwight are.

He deserves the max easily.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't believe the T-Wolves would be so stupid. If they are, I hope Love signs the qualifying offer this summer and bolts in 2013.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would give him the max without even thinking. Guy is still going to get better over the next couple years.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I could be wrong, but I think the Wolves are offering the most that they can at this time. Love has to first make the all-star game before he can break into that higher salary bracket. Isn't that part of the new CBA? Maybe I'm crazy. I assume the Wolves raise the offer once they're allowed to.

11. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Lol.
    Why you never see a NBA player skiing.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Keep in mind that this is a sports columnist who is speculating and has not heard this from the Wolves' management or Love or his agent.

13. cod

cod Member

If Love is only 2nd or 3rd option where would that leave Blake Griffin?

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Poor choice of words on my part. I literally meant I can't (or don't) believe they are only offering $60 million.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Probably won't be able to get Batum, but if Love's camp plays hard ball- well with Kahn, anything is possible.

If the Timberwolves are going to be serious- they need to trade Beasley and Randolph for a Center to help Love and a shooting guard.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In the new CBA, extensions are limited to 4 years, except that a team can designate one player for a 5 year extension. If this report of the offer is accurate, they are holding back on the 5th year (I guess for Williams or Rubio), which would be idiotic.

Assuming a salary cap of $58.044m, and that Love's max would be 25% of that cap and grow at a simple 7.5% of the 1st year salary each year (that is a $1.1m raise each year), I'm calculating that his max would be a 4 year, $64.6m extension. If they gave him the 5th year, it'd be $83.4m (whereas, if he had to take the qualifying offer to shake his restriction and sign elsewhere for the max, it'd be only $68m for the same 5 years).

If he satisfies the requirements for the supermax, he could get a 4 year deal of $77.5m or a 5 year deal of $100.1m.

So yeah, $60m sounds a little short.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanx for the clarification.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like Love, but I wouldnt give him the max. I think they're offering him the most under the rules. The new rules are trying to prevent overpayment of some kind. I think you have to be 1st team all nba or something to get max, but i could be wrong. He's a very skilled, jump shooting big who is a great rebounder. I think playing for adelman will elevate whatever perception people have of him.

19. what

what Member

Love won't take less than the max dollars and years. The t-pups better pony up or somebody else will.

He's not going to have to take a qualifying one year offer either. Some team will offer a poison pill offer and the pups will be in worse shape than they are now.