1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Post: Jeff Says Yao's Gotta Get Nasty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragon167, Nov 5, 2003.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

One thing I noticed is Yao is trying to grow his facial hair. Remember the asian championships? OH yeah buddy. Facial hair galore. The lumberjack is getting ready to drop the axe on all the other trees out there in the league. Just stay out of his way cuz not even Bounty can clean them up. ;)

2. iball

iball Contributing Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. He's just waiting for that game to go absolutely crazy.

3. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

name one center yao has played so far this year who had more points and rebounds.

4. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Member

My observation of the Nets game was that Yao couldn't establish good low post position alot of times so his teammates weren't able to get him the ball. At times his teammates wanted to feed him the ball but he was still jockying for position with whoever was guarding him, which sometimes was only one person. I think this is what JVG was referring to, learning how to establish low post position, not get pushed around, and be ready so his teammates can get him the ball. And also look to score, not necessarily look to pass first which Yao defaults to alot of times. So him not getting the ball enough isn't his teammates fault alot of times, it's him being out of position.

He also needs to work on his endurance and stamina, I just see him alot of times bent over out of breath. JVG rests him alot and I think JVG doesn't wants to at times but is forced to as he sees Yao fatigued alot.

5. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

tyson chandler.

yao needs to get his hands on more rebounds and create more scoring opportunities. and like it's been said, that comes from more aggressiveness.

i like van gundy's assertion of "he needs to demand the ball, and not be nice about it" or something to that effect.

6. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Tyson chandler? Wrong. He is the PF and play against our PFs for most of the time.

Eddy is the center instead.

7. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Yao played against Curry against the Bulls, and Curry scored a grand total of 1 point before fouling out 5 minutes left in the game.

-G'day-

8. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

Shaq will get old and fat and more injured. Yao has atleast 10 or 12 years in him. Yao is only 23 and not even near his prime yet. the day will come when Shaq wakes up and realizes he aint the most dominant center anymore. IT WILL COME.

9. Panda

Panda Member

JVG hit the nail on the head. Yao is worried about fitting in more than dominating. He worries about what teammates think of him more than his performance. Bad attitude. Yao needs to know that he must step up and be the man. Screw what teammates think, they are supposed to compliment him and Francis.

10. Ownage

Ownage Member

Yao needs some to get some "street cred"
    Tatts might work too.:D

11. Ownage

Ownage Member

Damm no Edit.. Yao needs to get some "street cred"

12. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Jeff was right that Yao needs to be meaner and plays stronger.

Jeff forgot about the double team the Nets put on Yao "before" he got the ball last night. The Rockets looked clueless on how to deal with it.

Collins played behind or to 1 side of Yao. Scalabrine left Cato and doubled team Yao. With Yao posting on the left block and the passer with the ball on the left wing, it didn't matter where Cato was on the weak side.

If Cato goes down low to the left block, even with noone guarding him, it is too risky to throw the ball cross court to him. Even if you get it there, the defense would have time to recover.

If Cato stays high near the top of the circle, he is not a consistent threat from there (although he took and made 2 18-20ft shot in the 2nd half).

This is the team and the coach's problem. I hope Jeff will look at the tape and figure out a solution.

While he is at it, he might want to try to solve the fronting of Yao too.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I suspect that Ming has some health problems that affect his stamina. It may be that his body size and his cardio system are not quite matched. He is obviously suffering from fatigue for some reason. Surely the Rockets have looked into this. It appears that he is not playing at full speed.:confused:

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

LOL. That commercial cracks me up for some reason

15. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

It should say Cato goes to the "right" block!

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been saying it for over a year...

We need YAO MEAN !!!

DD

17. fa7999

fa7999 Member

What's the problem of thinking about your teammates on and off the court? Are we really only going to succeed when Yao develops a me against the world (including his teammates) attitude?

18. mulletman

mulletman Member

show yao some pics of the korean national basketball team. that should fire him up like it did earlier in the summer

19. shawn786

shawn786 Member

JVG tells is how it is, i like tha guy

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree...We knew this from last year...I think the aggressiveness will come real soon...