1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NY Post: Francis return (and bigger role) at hand

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, it was fun dreaming about the possibilities anyhow ....

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0207200...d_bigger_role__at_hand_knicks_brian_lewis.htm

FRANCIS RETURN (AND BIGGER ROLE) AT HAND
    By BRIAN LEWIS

February 7, 2007 -- Gone are the whispers of a buyout, the questions of whether Steve Francis will ever play a major role for the Knicks, or even play at all.

The guard, out since Dec. 29 with right knee tendinitis, said yesterday he'll likely return on the Knicks' three-game western swing - meaning he could be back as soon as Saturday in Utah, or no later than a week from today.

And with Stephon Marbury (knee) playing in pain, coach Isiah Thomas yesterday finally said there will be a role for Francis - perhaps a big one.

"I'm not sure," Francis said of his return date before the Knicks' 102-90 Garden win over the Clippers.

"I'm not going to say a specific date. I've been feeling great in practice. I've been shooting the ball pretty well. I'm just trying to get my conditioning where it needs to be."

Asked if he'd be back before the All-Star break, he said, "It's a strong possibility. A very heavy, strong possibility."

After Saturday, the Knicks play Tuesday at the Lakers and Wednesday at Golden State before the break.

"He's looking pretty good, and he can possibly be back maybe before the break," Thomas said.

"He looks good to me."

Francis missed eight straight games from Dec. 9 to Dec. 22. Then, after an aborted three-game return to the court, he shut it down again.

He's averaging career-lows of 10.8 points and 3.5 assists in his two dozen appearances so far this season.

Francis retreated to Houston's West Side Tennis Club to do his rehab work with John Lucas, as former Knick Penny Hardaway had done earlier, sparking reports that he might be forced to take a buyout of a massive contract that will pay him $16.4 million next season and nearly $17.2 million the season after that.

Despite never publicly mentioning the possibility of a buyout, Thomas had remained vague about whether Francis would ever get back his spot in the rotation - until now, that is.

Yesterday, Thomas made it clear the guard's experience at the point puts him squarely in the Knicks' plans going forward this season.

"He gives you some veteran savvy in the backcourt," Thomas said of Francis, who turns 30 this month and has lost much of his explosion, but still shoots a league-best 92.5 percent from the foul line.

"When [Stephon] Marbury goes out, or if he goes down, at least you've got some savvy back there, someone who understands the position and is still the same kind of threat offensively, can get to the basket, can get to the foul line and is an excellent rebounder.

"He definitely brings another level of savviness to your team."

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

sounds "savvy".

im just glad that we dont have to hear anymore talk about the "franchise" returning. i didnt think all those threads were very "savvy".

tracy has been playing like the "savvy veteran" that he is and i think the rockets are pretty "savvy" right now.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did Thomas really use the word "savvy" in three sentences in a row? lol

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

isiah changes his mind about 5 times a day, so who knows how long this will last.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Thats what I was thinking...

I. Thomas = r****d

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that five minutes was about the word "savvy"

its funny, an inside joke between some of my friends was using the word "savvy" as "sorry". they would love this quote.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow thats crazy francis is almost 30. and he even came out a year early.

so we got tmac for francis and tmac was 3 years younger. man we need some more trades like this : )

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Francis played JV for two years before Maryland, and he dropped out for one yr of HS after his mom died. So, he was officially a junior when he got drafted and was senior age.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The only way this is good for the Knicks is if SF is humble and comes off the bench. If he insists on climbing up the pecking order, what the Knicks established in his absence will be lost.

This will be interesting to watch.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I used to argue it could work, but obviously shortening the rotation has benifited the knicks. unless he takes robinson's minutes, there is no place for him on that team. isiah has established marbury as the point and francis can't replace the sgs on that team.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think the damage is done. Steve and I. Thomas will give it another, token shot but I think we will see a buyout before long.

I think a lot of Steve's game will return with a change of scenery. He could not have fallen that far off from being the player he was 2 years ago. 30 isn't that old even for a player with bad knees.

12. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

yeah, i didn't realize that till i read the article. freakin 30. Atleast Tmac is taller and younger, and better, and smarter. He's savvier also

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

two weeks until feb 22. francis is getting shopped aggressively.

14. FFz

FFz Member

so basically he's a band-aid because Marbury went down. I don't see him staying there too long.

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Replacing Robinson would be the perfect role for Steve on that team. In fact, doing so could give them a boost and put them in the playoffs, saving Zeke's job. It's debatable whether that is a good thing for the Knicks franchise.

I'm not a Knicks hater but I strongly dislike Dolan. I want Zeke to do just enough to make the decision difficult and make Dolan look bad whichever way he goes.

17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Savvy was obvisoley on Isiahs Word of the day card

Since he is a coach now and does do press conferences, he is just trying to catch up on the intellectual lingo that the Savvy New York owners expect from a multi-millionare coach.

That and with everyone bashing how stupid he is, he thinks if he talks like he is smarter people will actually think he is smarter.

Isiah, throw away the word of the day cards

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

...and say that Francis was savvy?

whew

19. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

this is savvy.... or it's a savvy anyway

[​IMG]

20. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

now normally, i'm not a hater and wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone... but seriuosly, isaiah thomas is an idiot.. i hope he breaks a leg.. or something..

the man still acts like a child.