1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Cornel West says Biden committed ‘crime against humanity’ against black Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

https://nypost.com/2023/07/15/cornel-west-biden-treatment-of-blacks-crime-against-humanity/

Cornel West says Biden committed ‘crime against humanity’ against black Americans
    By Jon Levine
    July 15, 2023 11:10am Updated

Likely Green Party presidential candidate Cornel West ripped President Biden’s record on race issues, calling the Democrat’s history with black Americans nothing short of a “crime against humanity,” in an exclusive interview with The Post.

West, 70, accused Biden of spurring mass incarceration among minorities because of the tough-on-crime federal Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act Biden sponsored as a senator in 1994. The bill authorized the hiring of 100,000 new police officers and allocated $9.7 billion for prisons.

“Well, I think you’ll think Joe Biden contributed to a crime against humanity when he became the architect of the mass incarceration regime in the 1990s,” said West, 70, referring to the tough-on-crime Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act Biden sponsored as a senator in 1994. The bill authorized the hiring of 100,000 new police officers and allocated $9.7 billion for prisons.

“I’ve taught in prison for 41 years. And the the level of barbarity in our prisons has something to do with that crime bill that he put forward,” said West, now a professor at Union Theological Seminary, an affiliate of Columbia University.

“Black folks are low priority” to Biden, West continued, adding the president was much better at window dressing — “black faces in high places” — than substantive change. West gave Biden’s performance on race a dismal grade of “C-.”

He also slammed the 80-year-old president as “slowing down.”

“It’s very clear that his cognitive powers are in decline,” claimed West, who insisted he is fit as a fiddle, with no notable health issues.

Though West is an unabashed man of the left, he echoed Republican concerns about the weaponization and lack of oversight of federal intelligence agencies. The GOP has long accused the agencies of being politicized.

“I would just increase the scope of accountability and transparency. I think that’s enough right there,” West said. “The whole institution, alright, to make sure it is not politicized, make sure it’s not weaponized and make sure that it actually lets us know what they are doing, especially the executive branch.”

And he called it “kind of strange” that The Secret Service could not identity how a dime bag of cocaine made its way into the White House during a period when Hunter Biden — a known former drug addict — has been staying there.

He called the younger Biden’s deal with the Department of Justice to plead guilty to two counts of tax evasion “a little tap on the wrist.”

Robert Kennedy Jr. has made a splash in media and political circles for his primary challenge to President Biden, but political experts watching the 2024 race say it is West who poses a far more dangerous threat.

West previously had planned to run with the People’s Party before switching to Green, which could mean the outspoken academic could siphon critical votes from Biden in swing states, potentially throwing the election to GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, some Dems said.

“In 2016, the Green Party played an outsized role in tipping the election to Donald Trump. Now, with Cornel West as their likely nominee, they could easily do it again. Risky business,” former Obama campaign guru David Axelrod tweeted earlier this week.

West supported Biden over Trump in 2020, but now claimed both are equally dangerous.

“Trump is leading us toward a second civil war, Biden is leading us toward a third world war. So I am not excited about either choice,” West said. “I don’t want to just support a caretaker government against fascism every four years because sooner or later the fascists will still win.”

“But the problem with the Democrats is that they’d rather lose than change.”

tinman likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The reform and prison/crime bills of the early 90’s had a lot of support from the black community. The crime rates were at an all time high and most the VICTIMS were black.

The reform did exactly what it set out to do, it rapidly decreased crime. I was a teenager in the 90’s. I remember how violent it was and remember how it became safer.

Radical revisionist leftists and naive democrats wanting to left many of those incarcerated for 20+ years and wanting radical bail reform are fools.

Yes, we need SOME reforms - we don’t need private prisons. We don’t need to send non violent offenders to jail in all cases - but what they did in San Francisco with no bail and Harris County is absurd.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Height of crack epidemic.

Andre0087, Ubiquitin and tinman like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness we got fentanyl now

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You know who Edmund Burke is?

He's Irish and spoke against England spending money helping alleviating the results of a famine in Ireland that English colonialism caused.

He's also at the time was one of Ireland's most wealthy landlords.

Ya I can see a select hierarchal class of Black folks supporting those tough on crime bills

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Tough on crime never solves crime. Material conditions usually reflect the effects on crime. Crime drops in the 90s are more associated with the removal of lead in the air than any law enforcement harshness.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

What a utter loser. Guy bootlicks putin and spins Russian propoganda then blames biden for society's fault. ****ing grifting loser

8. astros123

astros123 Member

Yeah let's not magically forget that the entire black congressional caucus fully supported the bill and actually wanted it to be harsher. West is such a effin grifter

Nook likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Kids killing each other over crack sales was a very specific problem. As Nook wrote, the people in the neighborhoods specifically affected supported more police which was the biggest part of the crime bill.

A lot of the decrease in crime from that era is due to decrease in crack usage. I do agree that locking up people longer was not effective but the violence associated with crack certainly warranted more law enforcement

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cocaine is much less bulkier than mar1juana and therefore it is easier to smuggle cocaine and a small amount is more profitable for criminal groups. Drug abuse strategy that places almost all the focus and money on prohibition works less well. Now many doses of fentanyl can be put in a thin letter envelope which will make the prohibition essentially the main approach even less likely to succeed.

This is not to say that claiming the bulk of the fentanyl comes from immigrants crossing the Mexican border is not what is thought to be a winning talking point for GOP politicos.

FranchiseBlade and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also, let's suppose a certain group was obsessed with Hunter Biden like we've seen. Let's then suppose they wanted to create a scandal. They would make sure to avoid cameras and not leave prints on the baggie. This is exactly why they've said they can't tell who the baggie belonged to.

Now, there's zero evidence that is what happened which matches the exact same amount of evidence that it belonged to Hunter.

Also, if it did belong to Hunter, WHO CARES?

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I remember the Three Strikes Law in California during the 90s. It was also around the time real estate prices bottomed out over a span of 5-7 years.

The pendulum has swung far left on police reform/defunding and criminalizing petty theft, but it could very well swing the other way once more people get fed up over feeling safe or decent in their own neighborhoods.

Cornel better have a good answer for that other than Biden not Woke Enough

13. Buck Turgidson

Just out of curiosity, what did Cornel have to say around '93/4/5etc? wrt to the federal crime bills and such?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Everyone knows how Biden has moved through the times along with public sentiment typically at a very rational level. Based on how they voted in the primaries in 2020 it’s pretty obvious the overwhelming majority of African American Democratic voters do not side with West.

Bernie’s camp (which has a much more effective platform) made this case in the primaries on the prime time debates… and Biden went on to crush Super Tuesday to win the nomination.

If West really cared about rectifying our situation with African Americans and prison reform, he’d be less concerned about stroking his ego with a (Putin funded) Green Party nomination and would instead run for office at a lower level or at least involve himself in activism the way Rev Sharpton and Barber have done for years.

This comes off so cheap and pathetic. It makes everything he says less about the topic at hand, and more about how he’s trying to help topple Democracy in the US to help elect Trump… a guy who recently tried to overturn it to help himself.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ireland also had many poorer Irish who supported the UK. That’s why there’s six counties that are still part of the UK.

This has been discussed before in the “Defund the Police” threads there are many poorer black people who are for LE. As noted previously residents of the most poor and most black neighborhood in Minneapolis had a lawsuit against the city over lack of policing in that neighborhood.

16. fchowd0311

I'm sure you can find any examples of people fighting against their own interests. A poor Irish person defending the British landlord system of owning property they don't even live in while the Irish peasants farm their land and work it yet starve to death because they can't produce their own food and just serve the profit motives of the landlord who lives in another country is pretty sad. I'm sure a few existed but that is very sad. That makes me feel sad. I hope it makes you feel sad.

And I'm sure the disproportionate number of Irish UK apologists during the Potato "famine" were land owners.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In Minneapolis the pendulum already swung back a year ago when the “Defund Police” proposal was soundly defeated and even though Mayor Frey is a bad mayor being the only top candidate to speak out against Defund the Police won re-election.

Nook likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

In 15 years I'm pretty sure crime will still rise due to larger gaps in wealth distribution in the country and more harsh law enforcement will be requested.

I think eventually we will be in a society where automated gun turrets are outside corporate headquarters and gated communities. That's probably eventually what we are heading towards.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There were but there were also many who were poorer. I’ve been to Northern Ireland and there are many poor Irish who consider themselves British. The history of Ireland is chock full of stories of Irish fighting each other. That’s why the Irish Flag is both Green and Orange.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I wouldn’t say that’s not possible but I’m not sure that future isn’t a certainty.

While there are a lot of things that make inequity high historically compared to times like the Gilded Age it isn’t that high. We ve currently seen signs like in lowering inflation with increases in actual age growth that are lifting up all classes in the US. Also policies but he current Administration are addressing inequalities through better infrastructure and access to healthcare.

As yogi Berra said it’s hard to make predictions, especially about the future but I dont think a class based dystopia is a given.

fchowd0311 likes this.