1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily] Obama to Tea Partiers - "Show us what you'd do!"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sooner423, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I pose the same question to many tea-partiers and none of them have a succinct response. It's typically broad and ideologic.

So what's the plan tea-partiers? Cut medicare and social security? Dump the CIA and FBI? Who needs interstate highways? Raise taxes? What's the best way to get out of this mess?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...lenges_tea_partyers_show_us_what_youd_do.html

WASHINGTON - President Obama threw down a challenge Monday to Tea Party candidates, demanding to know how they would make all the spending cuts they promise.

"The challenge, I think, for the Tea Party movement is to identify specifically, what would you do? It's not enough just to say 'Get control of spending,'" Obama said at a town hall-style meeting on CNBC.

"I think it's important for you to say, 'You know, I'm willing to cut veterans' benefits,' or, 'I'm willing to cut Medicare or Social Security benefits,' or, 'I'm willing to see these taxes go up,'" Obama added.

The Democrats are taking unified aim at the Tea Party's penchant for complaining without providing solutions to the nation's woes.

Former President Bill Clinton used the same "What would you do?" line a day earlier on Sunday talk shows.

The exchanges between President and audience were mostly pleasant, but there were some awkward moments, like when one questioner cited a Wall Street mogul's remark that Obama's "approach to the financial regulation and taxation is like Hitler invading Poland."

"I don't know where that comes from," Obama said. "If you're making a billion dollars a year after a very bad financial crisis, where 8 million people lost their jobs and small businesses can't get loans, then I think that you shouldn't be feeling put upon."

In another pointed exchange, AMVETS official Velma Hart said: "I voted for a man who said he was going to change things in a meaningful way for the middle class ... And I'm waiting, sir."

"I understand your frustration," Obama responded. "My goal is not to convince you that everything is where it ought to be. It's not."

kbazinet@nydailynews.com

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

No that takes logic and stuff I just want to yell and be angry :mad:

1 person likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

any of the resident tea baggers here care to reply?

4. rockettexan24

rockettexan24 Member

not until you liberals decide to grow up and stop using teabaggers.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

it's happened here before and I don't really see the need to rehash it.

thumbs, for instance, seems to be sincere in his posts, but for a lot of it, it just doesn't seem like we can get on the same arena of logic and substance.

One person's suggestion/policy is another person's vague talking point, so it never really gets anywhere.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

okay tea partier, let me hear it

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

OK, you TEA Party Patriot. What would you do?

8. Classic

Classic Member

Not a tea party affiliate but I agree with the philosophical movement the tea party demands: Less spending, less taxes, smaller government. Of those, how about we do something I'm sure we most can all agree on: End the wars. Remove all troops from foreign soil and let the world and regions police their own. Let's then take some of that money and invest in infrastructure-roads and energy. Time to spend money on jobs that create demand for blue collar workers here at home.

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

10. Major

Major Member

Even the issue you think everyone can agree on doesn't work:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1496

Despite increased casualties, American voters say 58 - 33 percent that eliminating the threat of terrorists operating from Afghanistan is a goal for which American troops should fight and possibly die, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

Voters say 49 - 41 percent that the U.S. is doing the right thing fighting in Afghanistan and say 59 - 26 percent that Afghanistan will not be another Vietnam, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds.

This is the problem with the tea parties - they all agree on the problems, but they have yet to coalesce on any rational / workable solutions.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

People sometimes forget that the intervention and subsequent war in Vietnam had widespread political support in the early years. While this chart doesn't include the early 1960's, when support was possibly higher, it does show the change in public opinion for President Johnson from 1965 through 1968. Things changed...

[​IMG]

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lindsey Graham asked this question months ago.

13. Classic

Classic Member

58%? That's sad to see.

14. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

And we're still waiting on the answer....

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Asking people who are shouting to think is damned near impossible.

DD