1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Daily news rumor: Francis for Iverson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ricealum, Feb 15, 2004.

1. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Daily News sports writer Frank Isola has chimed in:

THE ANSWER IN HOUSTON? The hottest rumor circulating around the All-Star Game is a potential deal that would include Philadelphia's Allen Iverson going to Houston for Steve Francis.

The Sixers are looking to break up their team, while Francis has fallen out of favor with the Rockets after missing a team flight so he could attend the Super Bowl.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/164598p-144231c.html

Amazing how the pack mentality rules ... If the Rockets want Yao to get more touches, why would they want Iverson?

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

A pack of one, perhaps?

3. birat

birat Member

All around offense...

it's not about more touches... it's minimizing those stupid turnovers that cause bad overall game.

Face it, SF doesn't treat every possesion a precious one... he's been careless ...

he only sart passing when everyone is talking about passing...

he starts shooring when peopple complains that he doesn't..

the bottomlime is,

he should decide when to pass or shoot during the game, not if people demands it a night before the game.

------------

4. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

Will not happen. If you think that Steve and Van Gundy don't get along, what do you think will happen with Iverson on the team? The guy does what he wants. Van Gundy will not put up with it.

Steve is 100 times more of a team player than Iverson.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If the trade happens, I'll have an extra $150 to spend on something besides League Pass. No way I'm going to pay to watch Iverson jack up shots while Yao is posting up.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

That's an absurd comment... that's kinda like saying "the hottest fat chick." They're both ball hogs and a wash in my opinion. I don't see Iverson ever being on a JVG although he is much better at driving inside then Francis is... and sadly that's what we need our point guard to do.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Only the NY Daily news would write crap like this.

How are writers like this not penalized? How are writers able to get away with this?

If a BBS member posted the exact same thing, the thread would be locked because it is so obvious that this isnt going to happen.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Anybody can make a website, anymore.

9. Raven

Raven Member

I'm almost at the point where I think Clutch should ban any trade rumor coming from a NY tabloid :D

Raven

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

AI for Wink, not a chance. He is another ball hogger!!

11. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

do you think if we got rid of cat with others and moved steve to the 2 guard , and have A I run the point ,could jvg get that to work?

12. farhan007

farhan007 Member

AI running the point:D :D LOL!!!!:eek: :eek: :mad: He sure would be a good playmaker...for himself;)

13. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

I like Iverson.. but no

14. ymc

ymc Member

Player G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
    Allen Iverson 39 42.7 9.6 24.2 39.5 1.3 4.6 29.2 7.0 9.3 75.1 0.7 3.2 4.0 6.3 4.4 2.4 0.1 1.9 27.4

I am all for this trade. Don't you guys see AI actually has a better assists number than SF? Based on previous quotes, AI seems to like Yao as well. Plus the fact that everyone in the league agrees that AI is a better overall player than SF, this is a no brainer IMHO.

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Im a huge AI fan. I think it is amazing on how far hes carried that team over the last few years. Hes a great player but there are certain players that you cant ask them to take a back seat. AI is one of them. Besides by the time Yao hits his prime where is Iverson going to be? He will be way past his prime if we trade SF we better get somebody that will give us more than 3-4 good seasons.

16. ymc

ymc Member

A good enough ballhog can be compatible with a dominant center. Shaq/Kobe is an example.

17. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

My initial thoughts after seeing this trade were hell NO!

I thought isnt Iverson the same type of player as steve?
    All he will do is jack up bad shots and make silly plays.

But then I started thought abouyt it and realized that Iverson is getting to that age where he needs a championship to stabilize his legacy and in recent years he has matured a lot.

While he may still be a ball hog I think you cant say AI is a stupid player. The worst thing he does is jack up shots, but hey when you are the leagues leading scorer...why not?

His J is a little better than stevies, and when he gets hot..his J is out of this world.

Also AI would instantly fill seats for us in Houston.

Also he is a much better penetrator than Francis...and one thing AI does really well is pass the ball off teh drive.

AI is a rally creative passer and if you look, his assist numbers arent bad at all.

Especially in the last 3 years he has improved his passing.

AI's main problem has always been playing with other people in the backcourt he's never had a good low post player to pass to and I think that could open up his game a lot more.

The main setback for me is that AI is 30 yrs old and pretty injury prone, but Maybe having a strong post presence to go to would open that up.

18. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

This is a little off subject but I will say it anyway. AI brought his team to the finals all by himself(The ONLY star player on the team). Without Shaq Kobe MIGHT have made the playoffs but he wouldnt have his rings.

I dont really like the trade that this man purposed. I dont see where it helps our situation I see that it worsens our plitght.

If you think we are getting bad publicity now you just AI join our team, we will be the "Texas Lakers".

Steve is a gift-giver compared to AI.

19. acizlan

acizlan Member

most yao fans in china will like this trade at first place. coz they dont watch the game a lot and they think ai is a good player(according to news articles). but m sure they will soon regret coz if AI is here then yao will not get any touch at all(AI will jake up at least 30 shots per game)

20. acizlan

acizlan Member

ur point is stupid, the only reason AI made to playoff is because he was in EAST!!!EAST!!!EAST!!!

rockets were 21-3 that season against EAST!!!m sure we would have made to finals too if we were in EAST