1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NY Daily News] Marbury 2.0?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think Melo is nearly as crazy as Starbury, but like Starbury, Melo is a star whose game is rather flawed. I can see things turn ugly next season especially if Isiah Thomas continues to meddle in the team's affairs.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._shows_signs_of_being_step.html#ixzz1HfyuiliK

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's not Melo's fault. The coaching sucks.

They need a new coach, next season. If they fire Pringles and hire Sloan, they will be a 4th/5th seed and get out of the 1st round. They should have enough offense, but their defense is horrid. I would like to see what Sloan can do with Amare's defense.

#2 BetterThanEver, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Melo is so looking forward to the end of this season.

4. houseofglass21

Mike C'antoni

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

They traded half their rotation lol...New York media is insane. I do blame some of the national media who were already calling them a threat in the East. Give them an offseason or two and some cap room, long term it was the right move but he is very much flawed.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why are they blaming Melo

They need a couple of off seasons to reload and hire a new coach. They traded away all of their role players

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They might have been a 5 seed w/o the trade. The Knicks were 7 games over .500 a couple of times this season. Don't blame coaching here. When a big trade is made mid-season, the short-term results usually aren't good. And quit overrating Sloan.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Nuggets have proven otherwise. There are 2 sides to every trade. The Nuggets have won about 70% of the games after the trade and improved their record. They have beat the Celtics, Spurs, Grizzlies and Hornets. They lost to the Magic by only a buzzer beating 3-pter from Nelson.

Knicks were bad before the trade. They had an insanely easy early season schedule with multiple games against the Cavs, Nets, and Raptors, but they had a losing record against 0.500 teams.

Talent wise- the trade favored NY, since they got 2 All-Stars for role players. Melo is a huge upgrade. D'Antoni can't coach, though. They were losing to the Cavaliers, before the trade.
    [​IMG]

#8 BetterThanEver, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  9. sbyang

sbyang Member

1. Melo is much more efficient at scoring than Starbury.

2. Melo isn't the point guard.

This is a bunch of drama the NY media comes up with to keep things interesting. Ooohhh Melo loves to score and doesn't want to pass, well that's why they got him, and he's very good at it.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Melo and Amare are waiting for CP3 or Dwight Howard to join them, so they're not too worried about this season.

11. Spankie

Spankie Member

Im sick of these super friend teams. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't care if he's Marbury 2.0 or Ewing 2.0. I just hope they continue to suck next season and give us a high draft pick.

13. Carl Herrera

How so?

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Tell me about it. Its like all the stars nowadays just want to join forces. I wont be surprised if Howard and Paul both join the Knicks together.

After Lebron's departure and teaming up with Wade and Bosh, its like all the other stars in the league felt like they must do the same thing in order to win championships. I do agree that you will need at least two big stars to at least compete for the title, but things are just getting out of hand.

Its like all the big market teams are getting better because stars want to come in and join forces with their stars and the smaller market teams are suffering because of it.

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I don't think its a fair comparison btween melo and Marbury. Both are different in so many ways. Melo do have his drama like Marbury but I don't think he is as selfish as Marbury.

To be honest, Melo is a great scorer. But he is not the type of player that can take you to the top. The Nuggets had a very good team to surround Melo and they still were never contenders. You just don't see them as a big threat.

Unless the Knicks can somehow get Chris Paul to join them, they will never be anywhere near contenders. I just don't see a team with Melo and Amare as a big of threat like a team with Lebron James, Wade, Kobe, Rose, or Durant. Indeed Melo is a great player but he lacks other areas which makes him flawed. Lebron James for example, can score, he can defend with the best of them, and a great passer. Lebron can impact a game without scoring loads of points.

To me, Melo seem like a guy that will put up his points no matter what, but most of the time that don't account to winning. Its kinda like he's more of a statistics type of player. Melo is a great player because he puts up great scoring numbers. Don't get me wrong, he's one heck of a player but other than scoring, there are so many other things he lacks which will hurt his team.

Ever wonder why Denver was never one of the top teams with Melo? The Nuggets are playing a lot better after the trade. That shows the importance of Melo on that team. Compare that to the Cavs, the team that was one of the best in the league with an extraodinary record with Lebron, but after he left, the team fell rock bottom. That should sum it up a little. Melo isnt the type of player that will take a team to the promise land.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Part of the reason is NY media. They make players crazy over there. It takes some mental toughness to play there.

A team that came into the season hoping at best to get the 8th seed, has done much better and how does the media and city treat them? They want a championship NOW!

Why is this article written, its not even been a year? They just traded almost all of their best players besides Amar'e to get Carmelo. They need to rebuild that depth again. That can take a year or two, hope they are patient (yeah right...)

Any ways the real problem is D'Antoni. The dude has NO emphasis on defense, he's a good coach for say...The Clipper...Kings...a young upstart team that would let the team grow confidence and just have fun playing the game...but when it comes to playing gritty defense, disciplined team ball, the type of things it takes to win the big games and go to the finals it's not happening with him.

Any ways Denver may be better now but we'll see how long that lasts. All these guys on Denver are motivated. The guys still playing on the Nuggets were dissed by Melo "We're not good enough to play with you?" thats what they are thinking about and the guys traded there..."All of us combined are not better than that guy?" so it is understandable they will finish strong.

Especially since they all know they are going to be on the team together and not worried if they are going to be traded the next day.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Melo coninues to ignore those around him and just continues to feed his ego. Just when you thought the trade deadline was going to be the end of all the "MeloDrama"

Melos latest quote: -
    Link: - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/sports/basketball/27knicks.html?_r=2

This is kind of a reply to Stoudamire's comments about the need for Melo to buy into their system. Even Chauncy called out Melo to try and adapt. What does he mean by saying system that we are supposed to have? He is outrighly refusing to listen to his coach and teamates.

18. Carl Herrera

1. They can't afford both Howard a Paul if they are already paying Melo and Stoudemire mega bucks.

2. The "super friends" concept only works if each friend is "super." Wade, for example, was winning 47 games last season before getting Lebron and Bosh to join him. Unless the Knicks turn around from their current performance level (i.e. <.500) next season, I doubt any "super" player would view the Knicks as that attractive a place. After all, what's the difference between one 39-43 team and any other?

Besides, Wade had recruiting help from Pat Riley, his rings and his great sales pitch. I doubt Melo and Amare gets similar help from James Dolan.

19. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

thats when they all play the blame game like people did in miami.
    they will get it together when they have chemistry built

20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Melo is not a superstar.

He is a team chemistry killer.

Dude never passes the ball and gets his teammates out of sync.