1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily News] Knicks still eyeing Melo, Rockets possibly helping?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._knicks_still_eyeing_melo.html?#ixzz0yTuJGnpU

Would be funny if Morey helps direct Melo to NY by giving them the pick the Knicks gave the Rockets in the first place in exchange for Anthony Randolph.

The 4 team deal isn't official yet, so perhaps Denver and Melo are using it to shop for other possibilities. There was earlier report that Walsh didn't want to give up AR and Gallo for Melo, but Isiah Thomas, of all people, are pushing for basically agreeing to trade anybody in a Melo deal. Maybe Isiah will help the Rockets out. :)

credit to rcoleman15 for posting it first:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showpost.php?p=5595398&postcount=297

2. Showtizzle2642

so then one of the knicks picks turns into anthony randolph?

where do i sign up?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If the Knicks do jump in, I think it may be best for Morey to jump in also.

Those picks will take a dive in value then if Melo heads to the Knicks, and if we can get Anthony Randolph back for those picks, then I think that's a good return.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That's a tricky proposition. If we're only dealing one of the picks (the '11 pick swap or the '12 NY pick), the value of the other will surely go down if the Knicks land 'Melo. Essentially, by trading one of them back to the Knicks, we lose a lot of value in the other one.

I don't mind stockpiling talent/assets, but exactly where Randolph is going to play is beyond me. His value is more steady as a trade asset than the Knicks picks, though.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

count me in. i'd rather randolph than one of the knicks picks. that team actually looks like they can make the playoffs. those picks are losing value while randolph is improving.

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

To even consider helping NY get Melo, we have to try to acquire both Ant-Rand and Galinarri!

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

With Scola signed to a huge contract, where does Randolph fit? Can he be our starting C, if Yao retires?

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

maybe so...but draft picks cant get injured and lose all their value

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thats one thing...where is Randolph going to play?

We are loaded at the 4 spot. I guess I would get Randolph though because I think Iggy or Granger could be available...and out of Randolph, Hill, Patterson...one of those guys have to be liked by someone out there. A chance Hill goes in that trade though, maybe to the Nuggets.

I'd trade a pick for Randolph, because the value is going to go down if the Knicks land Melo.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but luckily Randolph is capable of playing both SF and PF, and 'some' center. I would Imagine a drastic cut into Battier and Scola's minutes would be best, in order to find some minutes for the guy.

--RB

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

even though he is pretty much a pf, he can play anywhere in the front court. plus his shot blocking and athleticism would compliment scola really well on the court regardless of what position each of them will play.

12. 45souf

45souf Member

Could we flip randolph and picks or players for grangr or iggy?That would be fine with me? :grin:

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Giving them back their 2012 pick frees up their 2011 (worse of ours/theirs) and 2013 picks to trade. It unlocks a lot of flexibility for them.

But I agree that it's hard to see where Randolph plays for us. With Scola signed long term, and two recent lotto picks at the 4, I think his best position is taken. If you think he can play 3, he can take some of Ariza's old minutes as uber athletic wing, and swing up across the front line.

Randolph only makes about $2m, so he easily fits within a trade exception. But, we would pay dollar for dollar in luxury tax on his salary.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

if we land Randolph, its already gonna cost us a pick

15. Rockets_4_life

With him we could have a young big, fast and athletic lineup...

PG: Lee| SG: Bud | SF: Randolph | PF: Pat | C: J.Hill

:grin:

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Makes no sense. The Rockets are already having minutes issues with their roster as is. Adding Randolph makes little sense unless there's a followup move.

That said, kind of ironic for the Knicks to be doing this. Glad they found good use of that extra cap room to sign Raymond FREAKING Felton. LOL!

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

I like Randolph as a player, but where does he fit in???

18. 45souf

45souf Member

all this smells like ****...Morey is cooking something, but it better not be this..

19. Prince

Prince Member

Yes, he's a cent3er.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - we were talking about this very thing the other day...roflmao !

DD