1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Daily News: Jared Jeffries wants back on the Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...e_returned_rockets_forward.html#ixzz15G9kgUiG

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

She would not approve :rolleyes:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DxBwQIOKeM?fs=1&amp;hl=zh_CN"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DxBwQIOKeM?fs=1&amp;hl=zh_CN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Raven

Raven Member

He has an expiring contract, which means he'll probably be gone before the deadline.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why would we buy him out, I would have thought that we consider his expiring contract a valuable asset in a trade.

5. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

That article mustve been the author just trolling the knicks.

I highly doubt Morey would buy-out a valuable asset like an expiring contract.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm sure the offer was probably low enough that the Rockets knew he wouldn't accept it.

Jeffries is actually a decent player, at least on the defensive end. But he's a victim of the rotation. Adelman is a lot of good things as a coach but the way he uses or doesn't use players can be baffling.

Now, if Morey helps turn Jeffries' contract into Iguodala or some such player....

Didn't Charlotte express interest in Jeffries? Of course, if it were to get rid of Boris Diaw's contract, then forget it.

In any case, Jeffries might find himself elsewhere anyway.

7. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Didn't he send a letter to the rockets after last season saying he will choose to come back?

He had a player option and excited it..

So he shouldn't have been complaining b/c he could have gone else where, but he choose greed :eek:

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the buyout gets the team under the Lux tax......

DD

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, but then I would wait until the last moment and only do it if no trade materializes, because the luxury tax only gets computed later, if I am not mistaken.

10. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Flourishing? Really? Flourishing? I must've missed when that happened.

11. DaDakota

It does but a buyout would lock the team into a salary slot etc...and every dollar they spend to Jeffries increases what counts.

IIRC, if they buy him out now for very little, that money would not count...and the Rox are about $2 million over, so they are probably looking a little higher than that number.

DD

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Trade him to the Knicks for their 2015, 2016 and 2030 first round draft picks.

13. DaDakota

By the way, if Rick keeps the rotation tight (as he should) Jeffries and Taylor won't be the only ones rocking the boat trying to get out of Houston.

DD

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The entire buyout amount counts against the cap, regardless of when it happens during this season or how much.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a really aspirational guy!

It makes no sense for a guy like Jeffries to leave money on the table with a buyout. More than likely, he would only take a buyout for ~1 million less than his salary -- the amount he could get paid if he signed with another team.

16. opticon

opticon Member

I think this is just old new coming to the surface. I guess because the JT offers where so crappy a JJ Buyout to free up the roster spot was discussed.

I think JJ wants to get a deal done before the new CBA who know what the new vet Minimum will be slashed to.

17. DaDakota

Yes, I know, but what I was trying to say was something like this.

For arguments sake, let's say Jeffries is due $6 million for this year, and the team is over the cap by $2 million.

So they offer to buy him out for $3 million.....and if he takes it..he is a free agent and the Rockets save $3 million this year...getting them $1 millon under the cap.

My point about dragging it out, means the longer he stays on his current salary, the less the buyout amount would be to be able to get them under the year long Lux taxline.

Does that make more sense?

DD

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

They probably thought the Rockets needed a center and were willing to give Diop's albatross 3 year, $21 million contract.

Morey probably screamed NAZR MOHOMMED and then hung up the phone.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes, and from the Rockets point of view, they are more than $1 mil over the luxury tax limit now (I think they are more than $2 mil over), so it doesn't make sense for them to offer a buyout with such a small discount. Whether or not they include his contract as a part of a "bigger" trade or not, they are better off waiting til midseason and offer a team with cap room or a trade exception team to take his deal.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Who does this guy think he is talking about going back to a former team? T-Mac?!? lol