1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Daily News: Celtics have engaged Rockets on possible Dwight Howard trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Feb 3, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

No, he's a very unhappy Celtic who wants out.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This bad news for us, favors the Celtics. Keep Dwight and try to re-sign him for less than the max.

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm usually the one to calm folks down on every damn rumor out there but this reply from Dwight doesn't really throw water on the fire to say the least.

As I mentioned before, my best guess would be that Isola heard it from MacMullen who he talks to every day. She's the one who let it out of the bag that Rondo was on the move even though she didn't say it publicly. It was an off air clip that caught steam. She does have contacts with Boston so that's one possible outlet for Isola knowing this. This is far from a WOJ bomb as its probably more 2nd hand heresay, but the more things keep adding up the more that the smoke will start leading to the fire.

Dwight also isn't dumb to the fact that Dan Fegan is currently working on building contract offers for him this Summer, and the subject of him being traded is always going to be a subfactor in those conversations starting at this point... which is the point of having those conversations in the first place RIGHT NOW before the trade deadline. We all know Dwight isn't the greatest poker player to the media when pressed about things so you'll get a better sense of the situation from him than you will from alot of star players that play the media/trade game better.

(also I think its an unfortunate reason why he's vilified by the media quite a bit more than most stars that move teams. He's not a great poker player with this, and it usually leads to people debating him and his team/unhappiness more than most stars)

I don't think its likely he's traded but the fact that we got the Cyberx rumor from yesterday, the Isola rumor this morning, and Dwight's "well I dunno" non response to the question, I'd say that we would be ignorant to believe that Dwight being traded isn't at least being floated by Morey right now.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I can't see us trading Howard, but Crowder being included in a deal makes it very enticing.

If Howard is dealt, then Jones will be included in deal. IMO.

Howard/Jones/picks for Crowder/Bradley/David Lee/Olynk

If it's not resembling this deal... you back away from it.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Something like Crowder, Lee and the Nets #1 pick would be a Morey move and would be worth it.

It's unlikely the Celtics do it, but you get a top 5 pick, a perfect role playing wing and guaranteed salary cap relief for a player that it seems increasingly is 50/50 at being on this team next year from a salary/fit perspective.

That trade likely isn't happening, but the point is the Celtics absolutely have the assets to make the Rockets happy (or facilitate a 3 team trade to do so).

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I like this alot, but I don't see Ainge doing this. I love that top 5 pick.

Unless... Jones is in deal. Losing Howard/Jones hurts a little, but our recent play without Howard would seem to dictate a slight improvement on team.

8. JayZ750

The Celtics already have two Jones - Olynk and Sullinger. They don't need another one.

In that random hypothetical I proposed, the reason it isn't happen is because it's hard to see the Celtics doing it.

The issue here isn't if the Celtics have the assets to give up in a fair package... it's if they are willing to do it. Indications are no. They probably want to keep Crowder and replace with a lesser option, and keep the Nets pick and replace with their own and the Mavs they own. And that's a trade the Rockets don't do.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If we do then I guess we're blowing it up

Harden next?

10. rullrich

rullrich Member

Not to sound like a broken record but what if that top 5 pick gets routed to the Knicks for Melo...seems mostly fair.

Dwight/Dmo to Boston
    Melo/Olynyk to Houston
    BKN 1st, James Young to NYK

Bev/Lawson/Terry
    Harden/Thornton/KJ
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    Melo/Smith/Jones
    Capela/Olynyk

Actually that probably doesn't get us a ring...but I'd hate to walk away from Dwight with a draft pick to show for it. Need to surround Harden with guys who are ready now - not a few years from now.

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

In the other deal, I had Olynk/Jones swap happening.

Either way... Howard IMO will either stay in Houston or go to Boston.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This definitely won't happen.

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

If we could get Olynyk, he would be tied for the highest 3pt % on the team. A perfect fit for Moreyball.

Avery Bradley and David Lee can add defense + inevitable improvement form T Jones

Add that Nets pick which realistically could generate Heild or Simmons and were cooking.

14. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Harden will be a superstar for 5 more years and an allstar caliber for 7-8. He relies on skill, not athleticism. We keep him for the future for obvious reasons

15. Ns575

Ns575 Member

David Lee and Defense doesnt mix together in the same sentence. Hes the kind of PF to drop 20 and his opponent drops 25

16. JayZ750

I'm not saying a great all-star like PF is definitively the answer... but in my view this is what I'm trying to team Harden up with as the next obvious option.

Blake Griffin is the dream. If you can go small ball with a Melo or a Durant that can play some PF, I guess that's ok.

But on the whole I'm not really sold on Melo meshing with Harden, or meshing with anyone in a way that screams championship.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Defense was strictly talking about Bradley.

Bad wording my apologies

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He doesn't rely on being in shape or defense

19. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

IF that trade were to happen teams would absolutely kill us in the paint. Doesn't make sense to me.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

outside of Houston, just about everyone think very lowly of howard, believe it or not... his stock aint exactly "rocketing"