1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily News]: Axe Body Spray -- Magic potion for sex? (my article)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rasselas, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Hey fellas, (and Isabel),

What do you think of Axe body spray? Just did a piece in the NY Daily News about the stuff. Curious if you feel the same way...

Link

By JEFF WILSER

There's a magic potion for guys. A *potion that all but guarantees sex.
    Not just regular sex, but *supermodel sex. The kind where women peel off their clothes in the *supermarket, begging for hot action.

Guys are buying this potion, lapping it up in droves. And why not? At Duane Reade, a 4-ounce bottle of love juice is only $4.99.

There's only one catch. According to many girls, the potion, er, doesn't actually work. In fact, it can even repel hotties like bug spray.

The potion is called Axe.

Axe body spray has become the go-to scent for a generation of frat boys. It's big business. According to Mintel International Group, men's toiletries represent a billion-dollar industry, with deodorants and body sprays comprising the biggest chunk at 60%. Axe's parent company, Unilever, estimates this year's sales at $270 million. It starts with the ads. "You spray this stuff on yourself, you're getting [sex] instantly," says Will Dean, art director for the ad agency Venables, Bell & Partners. "That's the ad in a nutshell."

Unlike conventional "sex sells" commercials that feature jiggling bikinis, the Axe ads are a bit more subtle. In one, a model's bare back has the imprint of a dinner plate and silverware, with the words "It Can Happen Anywhere" *below.

"It's a very over-the-top idea, communicated in subtle ways," says Dean. "There's some wit involved. The viewer has to connect the dots. They're well-executed."

Guys like Tony, an Astoria-based, 26-year-old computer programmer, have swallowed the hype. "I'm ashamed to admit it," he says, "but yeah, I use it. Anything that can help me [hook up] is probably good."

Then there's the "more is more" theory. Derreck Johnson, who lives in Flatbush and hits Manhattan clubs several nights a week, says, "If I first spray the cologne, and then spray the Axe, it helps make the cologne last longer. I go to the clubs, and girls tell me it smells good all the time. It's like a sealant."

The source of Johnson's gushing confidence doesn't come cheap. According to Mintel, Unilever has poured $100 million of advertising into the body spray. (Imitators followed. Gillette launched the body spray Tag, although its sales are less than 18% of Axe's, according to InformationResources Inc.)

"It's not a magic pill," concedes Kevin George, marketing director for deodorants at Unilever. "But it's there to give guys confidence. In what we like to call the ‘mating game,' when you're 18 years old, the girls hold all the cards. We give guys an added boost of confidence by making them smell great."

Ah, the mating game. Which brings us to the great Axe-paradox: Some girls find it repugnant.

"I can't tell you how horrible it is to be stuck in an airplane seat next to an Axe-wearing guy," says Tania, 28, a cute lawyer who could double as one of those model/attorneys in "Boston Legal." "You actually start to taste the spray, the smell is so unbearable."

Or there's Erica, who wrinkles her nose and says, "I associate Axe with cheesiness. And I don't date cheesy guys."

Mr. Write wonders: Can Axe cut it?

I decided to put Axe to the test.

At a midtown Duane Reade, my Axe options abound, from "Fire" (Hot? Sexy? Sweaty and stinky?) to "Tsunami" (which, well, suddenly seems inappropriate). There's also "Phoenix," "Voodoo," "Orion," "Kilo," "Essence" and "Apollo." But I go with the most provocatively named — "Touch" — for my experiment.

The application technique, according to Kevin George (see main piece), is called the "Lucky Seven." It involves squirting across the chest and down the stomach. A couple of sprays under the arms. A spritz on the neck. No need to dispense product "down there," says George. "That's a pretty sensitive area, so we don't recommend it."

Since the Axe effect could happen anywhere, I clear my afternoon of appointments. I am thankful to be single, just in case I'm ambushed by spontaneous sex at the bagel stand. I walk with a strut. I smile at girls on the street. I hold eye contact. I am an Axe man.

After 15 minutes of little eye contact — and no sex — I spray on even more Axe. Then I'm ready for some serious scrutiny: the fragrance counter at Barneys New York. I ask the *experts to smell me, consider the scent and give an honest report.

Staffer Fabricia Moscoso, who has the perfect-10 looks they promise in the ads, smells my wrists. She leans her head into my chest, inhaling. Her hair brushes against my neck. At last — the Axe effect is working!

She looks deep in my eyes. "Hmmm. It smells a little girly."

"Eh," her co-worker, Yanina, adds. "Not very sexy."

They wave over another expert, Daniel, who is more charitable. "It's very young. Lots of citrus. But it's not bad. A very clean smell. I like it. It's a little like Calvin Klein."

Great, so it's a hit with the guys.

In fairness, once I unveil my secret scent, all three experts are impressed. "It's actually a good quality for a drugstore fragrance," says Fabricia. "For women's brands, there's usually a big difference between designer labels and the cheap stuff. Here, the dropoff isn't so bad. It's definitely not Old Spice."

And with a new shower gel, a *parade of advertisements and racy *online marketing games like the ones at Mojomastergame.com, Axe is here to stay.

But are the girls?

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

:D

I've never heard of the stuff (big surprise), but the article is great! Bravo!

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Great article! I sadly admit I use Tsunami. :(

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

My little brothers use this crap... enough said.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can totally picture the guys who think this type of things work. They're the same ones who get all their relationship advice from Maxim. :D

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

My girlfriend hates the stuff, says it smells like ass..... I use it sometimes because sometimes its easier than caking on deodorant, but the stuff wears off in like an hour. Just buy some nice cologne and put on some speed stick.

Funny, but does anyone else get complimented that they smell good on there deodorant?? :)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no...my wife will tell me my hair smells good...or if she likes a cologne. but she's not like, "damn, honey...lift your arm so i can smell there!" maybe i'm missing out on something??!! :confused: ;)

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Maybe I put too much on. Its only when my girlfriend is close or maybe in my arms, but she is like "you smell good" and Im thinking to myself: "Huh.... I didnt put on any cologne today, must be my deodorant.". Kinda fuuny.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Great read Jeff.. My woman has said she doesnt care for the smell, but said it's nothing that will make a person sick either.. :confused:

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I use this stuff if I head out to a bar or club. If I have a date I'm using my armani.

Girls pretend to hate this stuff because we found an alternative to spending a 100 dollars on cologone. But IMO the stuff smells pretty good it just wears off quick.

I'm not using it b/c of the cheasy commericals I doubt anybody my age does either its just cheap....

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's the dummification of America... :D

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Sex Panther response in 3...2...1...

14. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Why not stop wasting your money on this stuff and just use sex panther?

15. Agent27

Agent27 Member

I use the Old Spice Red Zone Spray and I get lots of compliments. Never used Axe though. But I also don't slather it on like the "Lucky Seven" technique. I could easily see how using to much would be repugnant.

16. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

haha! i saw that to my bf too! :p he gives me that "huh?" look too. that's what you call cheap cologne! but yes, it's only when i'm close or he has his arms around me.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

One of my Ex-GF's used to always compliment me on my scent and I never use cologne or even deodorant just anti-bacterial soap and head and shoulders.

Of course there were a few times she complimented me after I'd been doing Judo and I would have to point out I've just been wrestling with a bunch of other sweaty guys. :eek:

18. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

It smells like Big Foot's Dick!!! :eek:

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It smells like a baby's diaper full of indian food!

20. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Eau de Sweaty Wrestling Guys

You should bottle that up and sell it. ;)