1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ny daily]Kenny Smith will interview for Knick general manager

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...kenny_smith_will_interview_for_knick_gen.html
    Kenny Smith will interview for Knick general manager job this week

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 10:20 PM

Kenny Smith confirmed Sunday that he will interview for the Knicks general manager job this week.

Smith, who attended Archbishop Molloy High School in Queens, is scheduled to meet with Knicks president Donnie Walsh. During TNT's studio show Sunday, Smith was evasive about his interest in the Knicks but when host Ernie Johnson asked him about The News report that he would be meeting with Walsh, Smith smiled and said, "There is a possibility."

Smith is one of several candidates being considered for the GM job currently held by Glen Grunwald, who will also have a chance to hold on to the position. Former Sixers GM Billy King, whose stock has soared in recent weeks, is expected to be interviewed, as will Rick Sund.

Walsh was in Phoenix last week to interview Mark Jackson for the head coaching job. Jackson was unavailable for comment but a source close to the former Knicks point guard said that Jackson was encouraged by his meeting with Walsh, who he has known since their days with the Indiana Pacers.

Walsh is not averse to hiring a head coach without previous coaching experience, but he does want Jackson to have a strong support staff, including an experienced top assistant coach. Del Harris, Paul Westphal, Gordon Chiesa, Ron Adams, Don Newman, Brian Winters and Jim Boylan would all be under consideration.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

wat a moron

3. tinman

Supporting Member

what a smart guy.

you know how much $ the knicks were paying isiah and gave him a blank checkbook on players.

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

This belongs in the GARM...I made a post about Roderik Rhodes got moved to the GARM...

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Knicks fans better hope he general manages better than he writes. Those yahoo articles suck.

6. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

so Rudy T could be coachiing the Knicks :)

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am sure TNT pays him good. I think charles gets 5 or 6 mil.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

When did the coaching and GM carosel in the NBA start to resemble a good ol boy system? By that I mean do more people get important jobs in the NBA due to nostalgia rather than actual accomplishments or qualifications?

Are former basketball players any better at knowing basketball than others who just don't get national TV time to prove they're not complete idiots? Its very rare that an anchor/retired athlete says something that would show some effort in research or intuitive knowledge that couldn't just be considered common sense.

TV exposure seems to be more important these days to candidates for these high profile jobs. I trust Mario Elie's competence, for some part because I know that he's actually coaching and I never do hear him on TV say something sensationalistic. He's not engaged in the watered down contest of volume that seems to dominate the conversations. If these conversations are the platforms by which we increasingly screen actually important jobs like GM and coach... its hard to justify so many of the hires these days.

COUGHstevekerrCOUGH

I'm so glad we have Daryl Morey and not some feel good former player GM. Let's say a Clyde Drexler.

9. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

They really need to stop hiring ex-players to be the GM. All the good GMs in this league seems to be non-players: R.C. Buford (Spurs), Bryan Colanglo (Suns and Raptors), Daryl Morey (Rockets), Donnie Nelson (Mavs), Jeff Bower (Hornets).

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he sucks like Kerr, maybe there's a yahoo curse.

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I'm not sure what kind of coach Kenny Smith would make, but I think he'd make a good GM. At least if he takes the job we won't have to read his stupid, stupid, stupid Yahoo articles.

Who replaces him on TNT?

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Prob just means these guys are forced to know the current league, by the nature of their job. That helps in applying for a GM job.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't forget about Joe Dumars, (maybe) Danny Ainge and several others. Having been an NBA player has nothing to do with it. The point is if the person is hired ONLY because they were a former player, very bad decision. I can only believe Kenny Smith's interview will be a courtesy. Donnie Walsh knows his stuff.

14. Asian Sensation

I think Kenny Smith would be a great fit. He seems knowledgeable and has been around to know talent. I bet he gets it.

15. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Please hire Kenny and take him off television.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Kenny is too insecure to be a successful GM in New York. Once the media gets on his ass he will start making poor decisions, such as out of desire to save face, etc.

NYC needs a Jerry Sloan type GM who will implement a long-view rebuilding plan and not give a rats ass about what all the reports will write in the meantime.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

kenny is 100x better than drexler and bullard. stop hating on rocket heros who are universally liked by billions of fans. kenny kenny kenny

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

You're throwing Clyde and Bullard under the bus while telling me to stop hating on "rocket heroes."

Clyde has been improving every single day since he's started. His laugh warms the hearts of millions of people. He reminds many of their own grandfathers. Bullard is out there, night after night, providing insightful analysis for those watching at home.

Kenny Smith has changed, and not for the better.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

that's why he's won an Emmy for Inside the NBA.

you know for a fact that Clyde and Bullard wouldn't make it nationally.
    Bullard lost out to Dee Brown in that ESPN contest.

you know any longtime Rocket fan would drop him in a second for Calvin.
    a second.

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]