1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NVE and Lafrentz to Mavs is official

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carlit0, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

According to the CBA, in order to exercise his option, he has to do it by July 1 of the year preceding his option year. Since he has 2 years left, the second year would be his option year. So, yes, he would have to exercise it by July1 of this year. That's why I've been asking the question, will he wait. Here's the CBA rule that states the date. Scroll down to #44.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#43

A team can. The problem Denver has, is that the CBA & NBA are very specific about the dates that players & teams can exercise their options, sign free agents, etc., etc., & if they lose McDyess, then what does Denver have to offer a premier free agent to sign with them? The city is beautiful & Denver will have plenty of cap space, but with basically no other talent, it's going to be very difficult to get top talent to sign on.

And that's the multi-million dollar question. If Kikki & McDyess made a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't opt out of his contract & McDyess sticks to it, then Denver will have it's chance to sign free agents to put around McDyess. However, you have to consider that McDyess's agent wasn't privy to their conversation or possible agreement.

The bottom line is, McDyess is in control of whether Denver is able to rebuild in two years or many years.

By the way, in answer to your post after the one I'm responding to, the only short cut that I can think of is to not reply to it. Just start a new post & address it to whomever you're responding to.

#81 Hottoddie, Feb 27, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2002
  2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

well if he has to chose by this july 1st, i think chances are he decides to stick. i thought next season would hurt him possibly after having to go through an entire 20 win season. i dont know if he will hold this season (with his injury, nves attitude, the trade) against the nuggets too much.