1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NVE and Lafrentz to Mavs is official

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carlit0, Feb 21, 2002.

1. cometsluv4play

i send my condolences to Nugzfan & Nuggets4. i always read your posts b/c they are insightful, intellegent & objectively expressed. something your teams upper management could learn from. don't stop posting here, we fans still respect you and your imput........something we can't say about the Nuggets organization.

hang in there......cometsluv4play

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Duncan sweepstakes entry? Umm...

Thinking about that, I wonder who will have cap room for Duncan?
    Chicago, Denver, doesn't sound too good right now. Not many attractive teams will have the money, I bet. The most attractive team under the cap right now is...the Clippers. Oh geez, can you imagine Duncan there?

Can Houston do something goofy with Glen Rice's contract, + leave Walt and Kev off the books to clear space? When do we need to resign Francis?

AND what about McDyess to Houston? Free agent or trade? Could he play with Griffin, or do they get in each other's way?

I'm still focused on a 3 or 5, personally, but you gotta think about it. Duncan. Griffin, Francis, Mobely, Draft pick.

5 - Duncan /Cato
    4 - Griffin / Taylor
    3 - Draft pick / KT
    2 - Mobley / Torres
    1 - Francis / Norris

rrrarr.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

lol

Seriously, you and NugzFan deserve better than this.

Thank God the Broncos aren't run like the Nuggets!:D

BTW - Kormelink3 - love your sig, man. I love coach Huggins...hopefully Cincy can get to the final 4 this year.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hmmm. I got to disagree with everyone here about this trade. I think the Nuggets did themselves a big favor. They got rid of two players who did not want to be there: Nick Van Exel and Raef LaFrentz. They picked up a good player in Juwon Howard, albeit overpaid. They also got a young player with a reasonable upside in Donnell Harvey. The only downside of the trade is that they lost Avery Johnson, who is just the type of veteran that all young teams need.

NVE has great talent but he has been a cancer everywhere he has gone. Mark my words, he will see less minutes in Dallas and will be profoundly cancerous from the get-go. BTW if anybody disagrees with me about the minutes, tell me who will Nellie sit to give NVE 30+ minutes a game.

LaFrentz is a defensive upgrade over Howard at the 5, but LaFrentz like Howard is not an all star. LaFrentz offensively has a better outside game than Howard. LaFrentz's inside game is ok and about the same as Howard's. If LaFrentz had a better low post game (which pays great dividends in the playoffs), I would be inclined to think of the trade more favorably for Dallas.

LaFrentz make Dallas a slightly better defensive team. It will take time to build chemistry for LaFrentz and NVE, which may mean they lose a few more games and get a lower spot in the playoffs. It is unclear whether a slightly better Dallas team is going any further in the playoffs this year, especially if they drop a spot and have to play a better set of teams.

Add to all of this, LaFrentz may walk at the end of his contract. Even if he does resign, Dallas will probably still be looking for a better low post presence.

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Unfortunately, there'll be one out there. Duncan! Dallas now has the players that would interest San Antonio to do a sign & trade, if Duncan decides that he wants to leave.

6. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Duncan won't become a FA this yr he'll be a FA next yr.

7. TexasG

TexasG Member

You guys are forgetting something about LaFrenz's upcomming free agency. He will be a Restricted Free Agent not an Unrestricted Free Agent. What does that mean? It means that LaFrenz will be allowed to shop his services however no team can offer him the max. They can only offer what they have available under the cap. Since he's restricted Dallas has the right to match any offer that he gets (i.e. Marc Jackson last year). As long as they match it he remains a Mav. They can match it on a year contract, and allow him to become an Unrestricted Free Agent after next year (which will give the Mavs cap space) or they can sign & trade him for another free agent (Duncan). Van Excel will also draw some intrests in trades this comming off season.

On the Denver side it frees up a very large amount of cap space after next year. The deal for the Portland players would have been worse for the Nuggs considering that the player they would have gotten back also have HUGE salaries.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I look at it this way. The Nuggets before this season had 4 players with value (some skill, but could be dimished by a bad contract)--McDyess, LaFrentz, Posey and NVE. On the open market you would expect to get at least a 4 or 5 pick for LaFrentz--or a YOUNG player around that value (e.g., Mike Miller, Wally, Wells, T. Thomas, maybe Camby, etc.). For NVE you would expect maybe a late loto to mid first round pick (he is better than this but his contract is bad)--or an older, but decent, overplayed player--e.g., Sprewell, maybe Howard, Brandon. Instead for both players they got Howard and nothing remotely near a top 4-5 pick. It was a huge steal for Dallas on value and it leaves only McDyess (worth around say a 2-3 pick) and Posey (maybe 10 pick?) with any value on the whole team. That is not a good situation compared to where they were prior to this year or in any recent years.

9. BOBAF3TT

BOBAF3TT New Member

Johnny Newman and Adrian Griffin.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

NVE averaged 38.6 minutes per game for the Nuggets.

Tim Hardaway averaged 23.6 minutes per game for the Mavs. (Steve Nash averages 36.9 minutes per game, TH is seeing about 11 minutes per game at point).

NVE certainly could be penciled in for TH's minutes (but I would be very surprised if Nellie sits Avery Johnson since he can run the point better than NVE and has playoff experience).

Johnny Newman averages 14.8 minutes per games, and appears the most likely candidate to lose minutes to NVE. But all of them?

We will see.

12. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

well i guess you guys really dont get it. apparently you see the trade as one where the nuggets were trading for talent. not true.

a few of you truely understand the point, which is cool.

the funny thing is raef DID NOT want to get traded and would have resigned. yet, the trade still works. he was a sacrifice, which i think will be worth it, in the long run (3-4 years down the line).

13. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

in fact, cato now looks WORSE!

14. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

comeon clutch. i would think at the very least you understand the trade! all we did was unload nve's contract? oh man...check again.

btw; hardaway isnt pissed at all (im shocked too).

15. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

this one was better than still anything you guys offered. sucks for next year, but your trades didnt get us any closer to the playoffs either.

this one has a different mindset and goal. one that i like and am ready to build off of.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

oh cmon Nugz. Everyone understands why they did the trade. Cap room whatever.

They are giving up on the team. Flat out. Now they're playing Bull style basketball. They are going to be very very bad, for longer than 3-4 years.

17. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

well according to this board, i dont think you guys did get it.

we werent going anywhere. we had to rebuild. trades like that, dont get any better when trying to rebuild. you guys cant even dump cato. we dumped nve, wahad, and aj all at once. it cost us raef, but nothing is for free.

the nuggets? very bad for 4 years? possibly not considering in 2 years we can have room for 2 max free agents, mcdyess (with LB rights) and two top rookies. you guys are merely looking at surface of the deal.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The real question is, how do the season ticket holders feel? Will they be given the opportunity to return their tickets?

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That's a good scenario there Nugz. Hasn't worked for the Bulls yet. Did for the Magic though. Who knows, maybe Kiki can work out deals like the Magic did. Just doesn't look good to me. I hate it when teams just give up.

It'll be a few years before any rooks you get in the draft will be major contributors to winning, and getting 2 players that will actually be worth the max is wishful thinking.

Just too much of a gamble, imo, when you already had a solid team. If Antonio had been healthy I think this team would have been challenging to get into the playoffs, which is a feat in the WC.

20. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

good question. my guess is no but it would be a good gesture. we have our first home game tonight since the trade.