1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Numerical evidence TMac hurts the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by northeastfan, Feb 1, 2009.

1. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

tmac is awsome...

2. klipper

klipper Member

The difference between Tmac and Kobe/Lebron

Kobe/Lebron "You're tired? Give me the ball. I'll make it"

Tmac "I'm tired. Here is the ball. You'll make it"

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

You're trying to be funny?

4. charlie_han1989

charlie_han1989 New Member

That is so true
    Tmac is such a pain in the ass now for the rockets
    and the worst part is,
    he's getting his salary and not working up to the standard at all
    it makes him impossible to trade,
    what a b*stard he has be come

5. worzel gummidge

6. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Tracy has only made 4 triple doubles his "Whole" Career. But if you don't believe in stats go ahead and start holding and I'll start counting, 1...2...3....

Thanks the funny thing about Tracy's biggest fans, they don't believe stats. Only the ones they choose to believe, like they have some sort of time machine and replay the same play over and over, and forget about everything else.

Clyde put up more than that in one season alone.
    I'm still counting 12...13...14..

7. SA05

SA05 Member

You can't judge T-Mac on any games this year cuz he hasn't been healthy enough. He's starting to show signs of improvement and if Yao hadn't landed on him we would have seen him playing even better.

Give the man some time to get back to his old self, the T-Mac during the 22 game win streak and during the playoff series with the Jazz minus Yao. Look back at the Jazz series, T-Mac played excellent overall and if we had Yao there's no doubt we would have beaten Utah last year.

When T-Mac is back physically and mentally, he is our best player. I want him to have the ball in clutch situations cuz he is intelligent, he's going to get a good shot or create a good shot for someone else. Unlike Yao, he won't turn it over or take a 2 point shot when you need a 3 (remember against the Lakers with Brooks open behind him at the 3 point line). As for Ron, he's great but he's a ball stopper, he'll take an off balance shot or something but won't pass it out. So I'm glad he comes of the bench when we need him to take the shots and lead the bench players.

YES, believe it or not, when T-Mac returns to his normal self, even to his self like last year, not like his Orlando days, but last year playoffs even, then he's our best player.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope not
    Orlando 2003-04
    21-61

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

T-Mac already has one triple-double and another near triple-double (short 1 assist) this season. If your point is that he is incapable of putting up good stats, I don't think you have a leg to stand on there.

I agree T-Mac has been extremely inconsistent this year, but he still has shown flashes of brilliance that indicate he may return to playing at a high level.

10. hmittal

hmittal Member

I agree with that statement. I don't believe in playing somebody who is hurting the team since he is injured. Its obvious that McGrady is not to full strength, but maybe this is the tentative McGrady we are going to see now. If thats the case I would play Von Wafer instead.

11. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I'm curious why there's so much hate for Tracy McGrady, especially on defense, yet there's nothing but love for Wafer.

I can't think of more Ole' defense than Wafer has shown, since the Paul Westhead Nuggets days.

Rick Adelman the coach that the hater's love, specifically sits Wafer at the end of games because he can't play D.

The statistical analysis is funny, though at least there's a start at some semblance of reason. A statement is made to the effect of we played harder teams when McGrady was out, but was that backed-up? We lost to OKC. I'd like to see the data normalized against W-L of opponents based on whether at home or on the road. That would seem to be the best way.

Also, picking an arbitrary sample size when other data is available is generally called cherry-picking and not very credible.

12. Marcus

Marcus Member

These are bogus stats. You can't take a straight average of the percentages to get the field goal % as a whole through the games played and games missed. You actually have to go in and do the work and get the number of shots attempted and the number of shots made and do the math. As a whole the team has shot 43.47% in games Tracy has played compared to 42.74% in games he has not.

By your math if Rafer shoots 1-10, 5-6, 3-7 through three games then he is shooting 42%. When in actuallity he shot 39% with the one good shooting game throwing off the average as a whole.

The same goes for the opponent field goal %. Nice try though.

13. pillage

pillage Member

Could the OP add the stats from today's game?

Boxscore

Thanks.

14. Chamillionaire

i'd only trade him, if we were going to get better because you don't know how his body is going to react, he could become better. soon. much better. the mac who is one of the best passing wings in the league, and can create.

15. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I agree with you concerning the computation; I just wanted to do a quick estimate. The number you quote, however, is not from the sample of games drawn.

16. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Sure, when I have time. TMac played much much better today ... visibly better than in any of his past 10 appearances.

17. Chamillionaire

it's nice to know that even know with mac playing the way he is, we have von to back him up and give us 10-15 minutes at least.

18. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I wonder...

Doesn't +/- numbers do the job better? If he's hurting the team, then the team should score more points without him and play better defense without him.

Of course... from what I can see, he's on the positive side of 0.

19. Chamillionaire

we're fine at the 2, we got mac, ron, von, barry, head.

we're a little thin at the 1 cause rafer sucks. if he was good, then him and AB would be a great.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rafer has not been bad under Rick Adelman. He's not going to start shooting 3s like Kenny Smith, but he runs the offense best on our team.