1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NugzFan -what your caproom gets you!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GATER, Apr 25, 2002.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NugzFan -

Here's a list of Summer 2003 Unrestricted Free Agents. You have so much cap room you're not going to be able to decide who to surround McDyess with:

CELTICS
    --- Kenny Anderson
    --- Walter McCarty

HEAT
    --- Zo

NETS
    --- Lucious Harris

MAGIC
    --- Darrell Armstrong
    --- Jud Buechler
    --- Patrick Ewing
    --- Pat Garrity
    --- Don Reid

SIXERS
    --- Derrick Coleman

WIZARDS
    --- Tyronne Lue
    --- MJ

HORNETS
    --- Elden Campbell
    --- PJ Brown
    --- Matt Bullard

BULLS
    --- Fred Hoiberg

CAVS
    --- Tyrone Hill
    --- Bryant Stith

PISTONS
    --- Clifford Robinson
    --- Jon Barry

PACERS
    --- Reggie Miller
    --- Jermaine O'Neal
    --- Brad Miller

RAPTORS
    --- Tracy Murray

MAVS
    --- Danny Manning
    --- Adrian Griffin

ROCKETS
    --- Terence Morris

GRIZZLIES
    --- Nick Anderson
    --- Tony Massenburg

TWolves
    --- Chauncey Billups

SPURS
    --- David Robinson
    --- Steve Smith
    --- Antonio Daniels
    --- Mark Bryant
    --- Danny Ferry

JAZZ
    --- Karl Malone
    --- John Stockton

WARRIORS
    --- Chris Mills

CLIPPERS
    --- Sean Rooks
    --- Earl Boykins

SUNS
    --- Randy Brown

BLAZERS
    --- Scottie Pippen
    --- Dale Davis
    --- Steve Kerr

KINGS
    --- Brent Price

SONICS
    --- Gary Payton
    --- Shammond Williams

THERE YOU HAVE IT...EVERY OTHER PLAYER IS EITHER A TEAM OPTION (YOU HAVE NO CHANCE), A QUALIFYING OFFER (125% OF THE PLAYERS PREVIOUS SALARY)......OR

A PLAYER OPTION. GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY AND TELL ME THE NUGGETS WILL SIGN GUGLIATTA, DUNCAN, RON MERCER, BIMBO COLES, ALAN HENDERSON, THEO RATLIFFE, AND/OR JASON KIDD.

HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR SHOPPING SPREE.
    :D :cool: :p

#1 GATER, Apr 25, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know why you wouldn't include player options in the list. Isn't it a given that Duncan and Kidd at least will exercise their options?

As for the guy's on the list, there's a number of good players. PJ Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Cliff Roninson stand out immediately. For all these players, there's only so much money in the league to be spent on them and only a few teams who will have cap room. The money will make Denver a pretty viable option.

Personally, I think Denver needs to start rebuilding with the draft to get a couple of core young pieces in undervalued contracts. Plan ahead for a year with a lot of cap space before the rookies become eligible for their paydays to get a couple of veterans who can see the promise the rooks have got.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Ever hear of a trade? Teams with cap space have a lot more flexibility to complete one (or so I'm told).

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Denver should (and will) look to trade Juwan Howard's last-year $20,000,000 contract to the Knicks for, say, Sprewell and whomever else (as long as it's fair all the way around). Then if they want, the Knicks can re-sign Juwan to a more reasonable figure, or work whatever out. Denver rebuilds, NY starts working off some of that bloated payroll. And if Stern hands Yao Ming to the Knicks, all the better for them.

Then there's the option of Denver signing Jason Kidd outright in 2003 so that Kidd and Dice will be back together. Kidd might want to come back West.

5. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

GATER:

*yawn*

too easy. its funny how pathetic you sound - your desperate to bring me down but you cant (as indicated by the simulataneous use of BOLD and CAPS! wow :D). i dont run my mouth like an idiot. when i say things either im right and im confident in it, or ill admit im not sure and ask for help.

you think this is the class? where did you get your list. the 2003 FA class includes duncan, kidd, oneal and i think guys like marion, and andre miller (might be RFA).

besides, at the very least we will have as good of a team as we had before the trade.

get lost and take your nuggethatin (cuz you suck at it...we have so many things to rip on and you pick the stupidest things...go bash issel or something)

but you know what, keep trying. i always root for the underdog.

6. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

yeah, kiki has already gotten us 4 firsts in the next two years (2 this year, 2 next), so thats a start.

i think the plan is use them, plus dice and our young role players and get a FA or two (hopefully one really good one) and build from there. dumping those 3 bad contracts at once really sped up the rebuilding process IMO.

7. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

yeah this is also a key factor. even if we cant sign anyone we can make some great trades where we take a max guy and dont have to give up as much in salary.

8. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

nah, why trade howard? hes the reason we did the deal...when we lose his contract we gain a ton of cap space and i certainly dont want to use that on sprewell!

getting kidd....ooooh man *drools*

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

What the Nuggets did this season kind of reminds me of what the Wizards did last year. The Wizards traded Howard, bought out the remainder of Mitch Richmonds and Rod Strickland's contract. Basically, just started over. In return for Howard they got Courtney Alexandar and Etan Thomas, which are two players who will definitely have an impact in the future. Its ironic that the Nuggets are in the same rebuilding situation as the Wizards but they acquired Howard instead of get rid him...but I guess they'll be sending him on his way when his contract runs out. (By the way, when does Juwan's contract run out?). At least the Nuggets got Harvey who looks like he might end up being pretty good, but I'm sure they wish they could have gotten some other young players thrown into. I mean, Lafrentz would have been such a hot commodity, its kinds of a shame they only got one unproven young player out of it. Did they also get Dallas' first round pick? Whose picks do they have over the next two years?

#9 DCkid, Apr 25, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  10. GATER

Forgive me, from your ramblings I thought that was the only thing you were noted for around here. :D

11. GATER

JV - I did list PO's. Did you not read that far? On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = no chance / 10 = drop dead cinch) what chance do you give the Nuggets for a landing Kidd?

Yes there are. The majority of good players play the same postion as McDyess who also has a player option. This gets real tricky.

That's the reason for my response. I offered him both Rockets picks + KT + Rice for Dice and received alot crap about how much of a homer I was. Draft picks are now and certain. Free Agency is risky...we only have to look as far as Chicago who had tons of cap room and no one would sign.

FYI, I consider myself to be one of the least trade biased posters here.

12. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

ah good one. no im sorry, it really wasnt.

but i cant blame you. after your post and my reply theres very little left for you to say.

how bout a 'my bad'?

13. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

juwan is done after next season. and you konw what, me MIGHT keep him around...renounce him and then resign if we have cap room left. hesplaying pretty darn well so far.

its not that we lost raef. we basically had to pay the mavs raef to take our crap. gotta give to get.

yeah we have mavs pick this year, bucks pick next year.

14. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

draft picks are 'certain'

dude you seriously know nothing about the nba. you have lots of work to do and many hours of homework before you acheive an aceptable level.

and yes, you are biased. you offered 5th pick, kt and rice for dice.

therefore you are biased. quite so.

1-10...at least an 8.

15. GATER

NugzFan

It says you have been a member since 1999. Do me a BIG favor. Please hang around here during next summers FA season? One of us is going to have alot of fun talking trash....and I thinks it's going to be me. :cool:

16. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

dude im not going anywhere. ive faced alot of **** from you guys over hte past years and it only makes me post more if anything. especially the fans like you.

so far youve done nothing but post weak attempts to bash the nuggets (unjustifiably) or myself. i look forward to future (and hopefully more competitive) "battles" :)

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know you mentioned them. I meant only that you separated them from the list of available free agents when there's no reason to think they won't be FAs.

As for your trade offer for Dice, I thought it was pretty fair. As Nugz said, they've got 4 #1s in 2 years. But they are: #4 and #26 this year and their own (lottery) and Milwaukee's (top 18 protected) next year. Their own picks will be good, but their acquired picks will not be good. They'd do themselves some good by compressing their draft dipping. Picking #4 and #5 and #26 this year would give them a good class of rookies who will all come due for extensions (and cap hit) the same year.

They want the cap space next offseason when Howard comes off the books. McDyess' salary will still be on the books then. Rice would still be on the books if they traded for him, but McDyess would have been too if he wasn't traded, so that's a wash. And I really just can't envision how McDyess can be a part of their rebuilding vision at this point. He'll be near retiring by the time any big rookies are ready to compete for a championship. I'm sure they'll trade him before he becomes an FA, or when he does as an S&T. The question is, for what? Since the cap isn't an issue with any McDyess trade, a #5 and a rotation guy seems maybe a little low (I think adding #15 would be pretty fair), but certainly not ludicrous.

Nugz, I see what you mean about using the draft and then free agency, but I don't think they are attacking the draft strongly enough. By the time FAs start thinking of coming to Denver, tye Nuggets will have McDyess, a sophomore #4, a sophomore #26, a rookie lotto pick and maybe (depending on Milwaukee) a late first round rookie. Frankly, I think they need more before the offseason to entice FAs with potential.

18. Looogie

Looogie Member

Nuggets want Tracy Murray back! :eek: :p

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

GATER, you're mean :D.

20. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

juan valdez, hold up...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

wha!? you guys SERIOUSLY will say ANYTHING to justify this trade idea.

and i mean ANYTHING.

if we have dice, and he hurts our cap...then great. we have dice. that is NOT the same as having rice on our cap. if dice walks, then we have the room. rice cannot walk. he is stuck in that god awful contract.

please think before you post. thats all i ask.

well he is. its been quoted many times.

ludicrous enough that we get EASILY get better offers.

so says the man who wants dice for rice. how bout you guys attack the draft harder instead and keep rice. well keep dice :)