1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Nuggets, Michael Porter Jr. agree to 5-year, $172M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LOL. Simmons is what 25? MPJ is 23. So there's not a big age difference.

I'll admit to speaking in hyperbole about the 3-4 picks & I'll give you that Simmons could have played a lot better vs. the Hawks in the series the 76ers lost in 7 games. But he averaged a triple double the round before and helped them to a number one seed in the East. So the Sixers are winning with the guy as is. The guy fills up the stat sheet in other ways. But he obviously has issues.

But again I think you and the Nuggets are seriously overrating Porter. He's as bad at defense as Simmons is at shooting. And where was MPJ's 24-25ppg when the Nuggets were getting swept by the Suns? He was starting with Jokic, Gordon, Campazzo, and Austin freaking Rivers. There were plenty of opportunities to be had. If he's this elite scorer then 15 and 5 on 38% shooting (70% FT shooting) ain't cutting it ( Porter doesn't do anything else) and means that scoring 24-25ppg in the NBA ain't all that easy. Yet they rewarded him with a Max deal.

They guy has complained about shots in the past and has had back surgeries as well, there is substantial risk in handing that cat THAT kind of money. Especially when you have Jokic (NBA MVP) and Murray (scorer) already as the established stars and you just gave Aaron Gordon $92 million who may want shots as well. So it's possible he's their third or fourth best player at best and a pricey one at that.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

While I'm in the camp that believes Porter will be an All-Star player, I think your points are fair. To be honest, I don't think the Nuggets had any choice but to give him a max contract. If they played around and let Porter go into restricted free agency, they might have been able to match lesser offers but it's not as if Denver is a big market. I'm also assuming that the medical/training staff in Denver knows more about Porter's back than any team out there and, via this information, this gave the front office confidence to commit an extension to Porter. On the flip side, you're right that they don't necessarily NEED more offense that comes at the expense of subpar defense given that they have both Jokic and Murray. I think the extension of Gordon was a bit more of a head scratcher than Porter's but I also think this is just Denver making sure they have necessary assets to match salaries if/when an opportunity presents itself. For example, most people's favorite trade target, Bradley Beal. Maybe he finally has enough of Washington and tells them: sign and trade me next summer so you all can recoup something back. Michael Porter Jr + Gordon + picks for Beal and fillers would be a tempting offer...of course that's if Porter continues to increase his production and Gordon doesn't completely fall off the map. This probably won't be THE best offer but at least now you got ammunition (contracts) to send out.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ben Simmons is 25 and has shown no improvement in his game whatsoever…matter of fact, he regressed last year…the same can not be said of MPJr who has been showing clear upward trajectory

A triple double in the 1st round against lowly 8th seed Washington? I’m not impressed. Against ATL he was a joke. In their 2019 series against the Raptors, he averaged just 12, 7, and 5 in 36 mpg finishing things off with a spectacular 5 shot attempts in 43 minutes in game 7.

I said he could be a 24-25 ppg scorer, not that he is 1 right now. Obviously he will need to continue to grow and get better, something Simmons has yet to do. Even if he has risks or ends up as Denver’s 3rd best player or whatever, Philly is getting laughed off the phone if they think Ben Simmons can get or even deserves a MPJr back in a trade, let alone MPJr and any amount of picks attached to him.

jiggyfly, hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  4. steddinotayto

That series against Phoenix was a clear case of mismatches. Like when you're trotting out Campazzo and Rivers as your starting backcourt against Booker and Paul you're asking to be blown out. Malone didn't bother to change his starting lineup until Game 4.

don grahamleone and Reeko like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Nuggets were going 3 on 5 offensively with that SL

Suns shot 50/40/90 as a team that series just completely dominating Denver

hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  6. steddinotayto

Honestly it was like 2.5 on 5 given how craptacular Gordon was on the offensive end. After watching game 1 I knew it was going to be over in 4.

Reeko likes this.
  7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I know Simmons is trash, but the argument can be made that Mikal Bridges outplayed Porter Jr. in that series too,

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

but he was an all star! lolololololol

Zen Tabak and roslolian like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Some players already know how to shoot man they don't need to learn.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS...

people acting desperately like Benn Simmons is the only basketball player in the world and if you dont get him you will forever be doomed to pitiful existence without the basketball lolololololol

roslolian likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not an inspiring start to the season for new max MPJ

12. steddinotayto

Very disappointing so far. It's like he forgot how to shoot. His numbers right now are very Jalen Green-esque.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'm still waiting on MPJ to start throwing up big numbers! If continues his play, this maybe the worst max deal in NBA History...

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

15. dmoneybangbang

Bit different with those hundred million dollar expectations.

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If Ben Simmons and Michael Porter Jr was 1 Full Player he might be LeBron James but even better defense and offense

Pippen and McGrady maybe Ben Simmons defense wise, Porter Jr.

#76 rockets1995, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Zion Williamson
    Michael Porter Jr
    Ben Simmons

Do they want to be Superstars or a big what if with Injuries Porter Jr, Out of Shape Zion, Mental Block, Ego Ben

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Insult to Injury, Nuggets Broadcasters better learn being Humble
    Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr
    Are out with Career threatening injuries
    Keep badmouthing our players

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you forgot to add harden on this list?

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member