1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NPR] How Often Do People Use Guns in Self-Defense?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Apr 15, 2018.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Hmm interesting take.
    I'm pretty sure guns are one of the common reasons for B&E.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

New law says that's possible now, but the GOP won't allow the budget to fund it.

Nook likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does that benefit outweigh the risk posed by widespread gun distribution and at-home accessibility of a deadly weapon?

Not using your head if you’re willfully ignoring the bigger picture here, and also if you support blocking research to seek answers to this important question.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

del .. durvasa already posted it above

It also would be nice if guns aren't so easily stolen. So many gun owners are irresponsible.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Often enough

/thread

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So, I am guessing your answer is "No, there is no data or studies that supports this." Instead, its the "common sense" answer...

[​IMG]

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I know 3 people that killed themselves with a gun.

I know 1 person who accidentally shot himself.

I know several that have lost or had them stolen.

I know 0 people that successfully protected themselves with a gun.

I only can think of a couple of times in my life where at the time I was wishing I had a gun. Given that I didn't need one, I'm happier not to have had one in those situations, since it is possible I would have shot somebody when my life was not actually in danger.

subtomic, Nook and B-Bob like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if that's true, I'm glad you realized that you aren't personally capable of responsibly owning a firearm. Of course, your inability to responsibly own a firearm doesn't mean anything about anyone else.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have for my entire life gone outside at night time on my foot or on a bike, either just to exercise or even to buy groceries and stuff. I used to carry some cash so I can give something to a mugger should one appear, although these days I just carry a credit card and my phone. Always been prepared to lose what's in my pocket should I ever met a mugger with a gun. But nothing has ever happened. Also don't know anyone else where this has happened. There was one case of a house in the neighborhood robbed, but the owners were on vacation during the robbery, so guns wouldn't have mattered. Overall I feel I probably live as "dangerously" and prone to needing self-defense as any in the neighborhood, but never really felt the need. And I live in an area that is primed for NRA members and gun owners, and knowing for sure several families in the area with guns in their houses.

While there may perhaps be some people in some occupations living in some areas under some circumstances where a gun for self-defense matters, I can't imagine this being the case for most Americans. While I don't have anything against people who buy guns for self-defense and peace of mind, I do always find the "necessity" of such an action pretty laughable. For most Americans, especially ones who are most fervant supporters of gun freedom, guns are pretty damn unnecessary.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

In the world of white & black hats, opening your jacket to reveal your concealed handgun tends to shut down any argument & counts as self-defense. Right, Commodore?

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DMPD: Woman who fired gun in self defense was blindsided, beat up and put in a headlock

https://www.kcci.com/article/woman-...-was-blindsided-at-des-moines-hy-vee/40353642

excerpt:

A woman says she fired gunshots in self-defense on Sunday because she was 'blindsided, beat up and put in a headlock' inside the Hy-Vee food store on the east side of Des Moines.

Des Moines police say the two women in this incident know each other.

A police report was filed after an interaction between the two on June 16. That case is still under investigation.

But Des Moines police say what Kapri Lashawn Francis did on Sunday was a "totally unprovoked attack," and Francis blindsided the woman, beat her up and put her in a headlock.

That's when a shot was fired hitting Francis.

"Iowa law allows for the use of reasonable force to stop someone from hurting you, or someone else and that includes deadly force under certain circumstances," said Katherine Sears, a criminal defense attorney.
    more at the link

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure the frequency of successful self-defense matters. I take the conservatives' point on deterrence. Some would-be robbers will end up not breaking in or not holding up a guy because they know that gun ownership is common and they don't want to risk getting shot, in general. At the same time, some would-be robber can acquire, own, and carry a gun because gun ownership is so common. Seems like a wash.

And, of course, there's the self-defense cases where you're chilling with your girl and a guy with a gun breaks into your house and you defend your castle thanks to your trusty 45. But there are also the cases where you're a self-deputized neighborhood watchman who racially profiles pedestrians and stalks them, only to employ your "self-defense" when your targets try to defend themselves. So, I'm not sure self-defense is even a public good I'm interested in promoting.

Rocket River, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

If your takeaway from the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case was that self-defense is bad, then I could not disagree with you more. If anything, it should be don't attack someone because they are following you and try to ask you some questions.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

deterrence is a (primary) use case

owning a gun is using a gun, whether it's fired/brandished or not

in fact, the mere possibility that there could be a gun is a deterrence use case

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm tempted to respond, but don't want to re-open the wounds (or the thread) of the Martin/Zimmerman case. Maybe I'll just point out my allusion also describes the Arbery/McMichael case.

As it pertains here, the essence of self-defense is to use violence or the threat of violence to protect yourself. I prefer strategies where people are kept safe without needing violence to achieve it.

Nook likes this.
  16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well.....until they find your on the right track brother in an alley and blast him.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

What’s the percentage of people who accidentally shoot themselves or others?

I just saw a story the other week where a child shot the mom in the face and killed her…kid had the gun somehow and was playing with it like a toy

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

I wonder how often people actually use fire extinguishers to potentially stop a home fire..... They are pointless to have....