1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now what are Morey's FINAL summer moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Aug 13, 2018.

1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Exactly, the only possible trade we have with them is taking Harkless, Aminu, and Leonard off their hands because of tax concerns and then we would have to give them a 1st and more if they would even do it. It would take us Ryno, and two min contracts. I think any path for us to a trade of Ryno requires Sacramento. Probably a direct trade. You also have to consider holding onto Ryno for two more years or losing two firsts. We are all in now. You have to do something.

lionaire and D-rock like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

2 picks then?

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sacramento is probably the only team that may want him with assets. Is that worth it, to get back Shumpert and Kosta Koufos? I'm okay with Kosta, but I'm not sure with Shumpert. I don't want to give Melton for either one of them. Melton can be a useful role player for the Rockets, this year and in the future. Clark is also promising too. Vince seems less handy to me, but I would hang on to the young guys for now. Ryan needs to play well in order to build up some value.

#143 saleem, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Beggars can't be choosers imo. Just to get expiring contracts is a win on its own. To get a 3rd string SF and a 2nd string C both on expiring contracts is a win for Ryno and the 30th pick. It even cuts our salary by a couple of million. I'm not sure they'd do it, but I would be content with that.

5. saleem

I'm okay with that too. Sac may want our young rookies though. That makes me feel uneasy.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't be great, but let's be realistic. Melton is unlikely to help us more than Shumpert this season, despite Shumpert's shortcomings. I hope this organization is locked into championship mode. This is not the time to balance out the present and the future. Don't mortgage everything, but if there's a fair win-now trade, I say let's make it.

Some dude on RealGM pulled up DRPM of players who played at least 100 games the past 5 seasons and sorted by position. Shumpert's is 6th among SG's, which tells me that even if the stat is flawed, he can't be that bad.

Here is the list from Ken D of RealGM boards:

Hakeemtheking and Plowman like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They're both expirings too. Throw picks in that deal, but not Melton.

Melton, to my way of thinking would be attached to something more substantial. Yes, folks have a tendency of overrating our guys, but in this case, it appears we've already committed grand larceny...ergo Melton's CURRENT perceived value being as high as late lottery. It's a good chip anyway..as well as...an appreciating asset/high upside player. He should play a lot of minutes in this League.

#147 Plowman, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

McL/Shump - straight up -> Ryno; seems like an easynet win-win (sic) for both teams; and, after cut, McL can look for yet another team to fail with.

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I don't want to give up Melton either but I think you can fight that because you are giving up picks. Ryno BASED ON THE WAY WE USE HIM is going to be a declining asset. His value is plummeting. At this point it is simply a flexibility issue for us. We are the smartest team in the league at making the best use of players. We have tried everything and he now mostly is a DNP-CD for us or a few minutes. He really not in our rotation unless he is hoisting 3s up quickly. It really cooked his goose when he refused to fight through his troubles. He could have missed 3s, played hard, and showed vigor like everyone else and he would have played better eventually He never changed his mindset from a starter.

10. saleem

I agree with this. Let's hope that the future replacements for him, will prove to be assets to the team, through their hard work and effort. We can't expect more than that. Morey overestimated Ryan's impact, when he signed him. I honestly believe, he might only prove to be tradable as an expiring contract, unless young assets are attached with him. The Rockets are in a tough position with him, no doubt.

#150 saleem, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    luckyman76 likes this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

basically a younger ariza. perfect replacement

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

SAC not really interested in more rookies, they are loaded with those, looking for young up and coming players and future picks.

Need wings too.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

POR also has salary they want to shed but getting Ryno back makes no sense for them.

3 team trade with SAC perhaps. With SAC taking their garbage as well as ours.

14. saleem

That's all that Houston has to offer them. I believe that you are right. Rookies are no replacement for young up and coming players with experience. Will the Rockets picks get the job done? It's seems quite doubtful to me.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m still shocked Jamal Crawford and Nick Young didn’t land somewhere yet. More Jamal. I get it. He’s not even half the player he use to be. But when injuries come up at crucial times you still tend to go with an inefficient veteran over an inexperienced rookie. No place for him on this roster I guess but you some playoff team should grab him

D-rock likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

it could very well be these guys want to go somewhere where they have significant minutes on a nightly basis, instead of just a bench warmer every night

saleem likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nick Young would have been a decent fit on this team, has shown can play D when motivated.

lionaire likes this.
  18. mockster

mockster Member

Tbh makes no sense nick young hasent been picked up

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

Wouldn’t mind Swaggy as a placeholder until we find the wing we’re looking for. Esp since it’s looking more and more likely that we’ll have to hold onto Ryno until the trade deadline.

20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont think we'll see anything big before the season starts. My feeling is that Morey is planning for a bigger splash at the deadline. Would not be surprised to see MCW or Ennis, Melton, Nene, RA, and a draft pick traded for someone. MCW is an expiring contract but he doesnt cost much. Nene and RA expire at the end of next season and Melton could be a nice young player if he shows something before the deadline (and something tells me he will). A major move would include EG, and I dont think that's off-limits for Morey at this point. If I'm guessing, its to a team that has already underperformed and accepted that they will be a low seed playoff team or miss the playoffs altogether, and will thus be willing to part with a talented player to acquire draft picks, young players back, and can absorb an RA contract for another season.