1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now we know...it wasn't just Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gettinbranded, May 21, 2001.

1. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Phil Jackson can coach!

The Lakers are playing team ball---all the ego's are in check and the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

People who say Jackson can't coach and it's just the players PLEASE shut-up...your credibility went out the window when the Lakers went on this 17 game winning streak and capped it by beating the Spurs twice at home.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not really. We've always said it was Jackson's superstar players that led him to the championship, and this year is no different. Kobe and Shaq are playing well because they both have decided through their own decision making, not Phil's, that they are better off coexisting, and a team with two superstars is hard to beat if they decide to play together. Jackson is getting wins with superstar players again. What does that prove? I will not recognize Phil Jackson as a top coach until he does something besides walk into a situation where a team is loaded with talent. That is not great coaching. Great coaching is doing what Doc Rivers did last year with a tremendously undermanned Magic squad. Do something besides walk into a situation where you have two of the top 5-10 players in the game, and then maybe he'll have some credibility.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited May 21, 2001).]

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I agree with Cat here! [​IMG]

Jackson should have stayed with the Bulls. If he could have led them to more than 20 wins in a season, then he would have proven his ability. Instead, he hooked up with a loaded team.

------------------
    The Protrolls.com message boards!

Protrolls.com!

Don't visit my site.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Until Phil Jackson takes a borderline decent team and makes them good to great like the other champion coaches have done, like Riley, Rudy, Daley and others, you Bulls fans can go back to kissing the "great" Phil Jackson's behind.

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited May 21, 2001).]

5. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Who cares what you will or will not recognize? Look at the results.

It's far easier to get a team full of underachievers to play at the top of their game every night than it is to get two superstars to play up to the top of their ability night in and night out, to get them to play togather and to get them to involve and trust their lesser talented team-mates.

Let alone the X's and O's.

I'm not taking anything away from Rudy T...he's great too. Just not Jackson class... [​IMG]

I'm kidding Cat...be cool.

------------------

6. Band Geek Mobster

Wait a second Cat. You were saying earlier that the Spurs dominate the Lakers in the playoffs. You talked about how Shaq will get dominated by the Spurs in this playoffs series.

Well what's changed since 2 years ago and now? Phil Jackson

Obviously he's doing something right since the Spurs aren't dominating the Lakers like they used to.

------------------
    I refuse to use smiley's in my posts, you'll just have to figure out how serious I am on your own...

7. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Which is just what he's done with the Lakers. These are the same two superstars Del Harris and Kurt Rambis couldn't win with. He took them to the championship last season and brought them back even stronger this season...

------------------

8. The Cat

Well what's changed since 2 years ago and now?

The Spurs missing wide open threes, and officials. Neither one of them have to do with Jackson.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

9. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Does Phil Jackson even coach? I didn't realize that holding up your hands in the shape of a triangle or yelling "calm down" made someone a coaching legend. Yes, his strategies certainly have changed the game.......

------------------

10. Major

Major Member

The Lakers dominated today as soon as Jackson got ejected. [​IMG]

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

11. Band Geek Mobster

Man, I agree with you on a lot of things when it comes to Rockets talk, but this blaming the refs for everything act is really tired.

It's obvious you'll never give a team you don't like it's due credit, so I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore. You're acting just as bad as Coach Sampson, so I'll just see you in the fantasy forum and continue to defend Jason Collier with you.

[​IMG]

------------------
    I refuse to use smiley's in my posts, you'll just have to figure out how serious I am on your own...

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The best coach at the moment? George Karl. He left seattle in shambles and took the bucks ... look where they are now! Any they have no real superstars!

Overrated: Phil Jackson. Like you said, till he leads a weak team and proves he can win with nothing, then i'll show him some respect.

------------------
    If Bill Gates had a dime for every time Windows crashed...
    Oh, Wait!! He Does!

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'm not sure, but isn't that what he did with the Bulls?

------------------
    The season's over, but the 'Stros have started. Guess I'm still gonna be nursing that keg...

14. Kelly_Dwyer

Kelly_Dwyer Member

These are some pretty sad posts. It's unfortunate that some of you feel this way. I can't stand the way people continually try to find faults and sub-faults with winners.

------------------

15. The Cat

It's obvious you'll never give a team you don't like it's due credit, so I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore. You're acting just as bad as Coach Sampson

Maybe you guys see something I don't, and I certinaly apologize if I'm wrong, but the only thing on my mind right now and the only thing I see when I think about this game is 3 ridiculous calls against Robinson. That, from my perspective, made the difference. I'm sorry for any disagreements with posters here-- I guess I just see things differently. Rightly or wrongly, whichever you think, I just can't envision the Lakers winning this game if Robinson is on the floor, and in my opinion, he should've been.

If it better makes you understand, my personality is such that I don't admit to being inferior to anyone. Instead, I try to find flaws with myself that I can improve to be better. That can translate to sports as well. I'm as big of a competitor as anyone-- and to be honest, I don't accept losing. I just go out and work twice as hard to change the result.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited May 21, 2001).]

16. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Kelly,

are you suggesting that Phil Jackson deserves the credit he gets for the Lakers success?

------------------

17. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I would say that everyone seems to be on extremes right here, and I'm right in the middle.

Nobody hates Phil Jackson more than I do. For God's sake, shave that little THING under your lip. [​IMG]

But I'm not going to say he's not a good coach. Overrated? In my opinion, yes. He is still yet to take over a team that wasn't loaded with talent. And that is the measure of a GREAT coach, in my opinion (see George Karl).

But how can we say he is a BAD coach? As much as I hate to agree with him, gettinbranded pointed out that this is the same team that Rambis and Harris couldn't win with. Not to say Rambis is some kind of mastermind in coaching, but Harris has been around for quite a while, and knows more about it than ANYONE posting on this board, I'm pretty sure. And I would think it would be a difficult task to get Kobe & Shaq to work as well together as they are. The role players are doing just that--filling their roles, and doing it admirably.

A team running on all cylinders as well as this one isn't doing it IN SPITE of Jackson, he is overseeing and moderating the process, I'm sure. And I'm sure he does a hell of a lot more coaching than holding up the triangle sign or telling people to calm down (although I did find that funny, TPL [​IMG]), even if that is all we see DURING the games. Coaching goes far more than just what we see, as spectators, on the sideline.

I know a lot of you hate the Lakers and I know a lot of US hate Phil Jackson, but let's give some credit where credit is due.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

18. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I was about to post something along similar lines, but slcrocket said it better than I could. I hate Phil Jackson, but it's not based on anything objective. I think he's an arrogant SOB, but unless someone can provide something factual and specific about his deficiencies as a coach, we really can't say he's a bad coach. I don't even think people really argue that he's a bad coach as much as they want to argue that he's not a great coach, which I think is valid, and personally agree with vehemently, but can't back up.

------------------

19. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I do give Jackson credit. I am NOT a Laker fan butI do give him credit. He KNOWS how to play MINDGAMES with his team and the opposing team. Maybe its the doobies he smokes in the locker room. Whatever it is, its scary! Just the way he looks at you is downright intimidating. I think he knows what to say at the right place and at the right time. I'm not even referring to the plays that are drawn up because that is really Tex Winters' offense. Phil just knows how to push people's buttons and you got to give him credit for that. Now the Lakers are on the verge of ripping the HEART out of the Spurs - well they don't have much of a heart anymore. All I can say is WOW! Did you listen to Shaq and Kobe after the game? It's a LOVEFEST! We are truly watching a Dynasty in the making - well at least until the Rockets come back!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKET RICH NYC (edited May 21, 2001).]

20. stevo

stevo Member

I've got to give Jackson his props. I can't stand him because I think he's an arrogant SOB. Still, you can't argue with success, and he's enjoyed alot of that.

It's just too bad all his championships will have an asterisk next to them because he happened to be coaching Jordan (arguably the greatest player of all time) and Shaq/Kobe (arguably the greatest guard/center combo) when he won them.

------------------