1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now they tell us: Pell Grant cuts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If you need more than 12 semesters, you need to do like the rest of us did..... Get student loans. I had pell grants my first 2 years, but they cut the amount as you continue. By the time you graduate, it is mostly loans. Boo hoo... No free rides unless you have a scholarship.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Pell Grants still adhere to Satisfactory Academic Progress standards and Proof of Course Completion requirements (if you receive all F's or W's) and are subject to complete return to the government if you don't maintain the minimum standards.

3. joesr

joesr Member

Lol that is what I was thinking. How is he using something that he SHOULD be in favor of but talking against? Make up your mind dude.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I know, I said they should be loans that are forgiven.

5. juicystream

My wife. She flat wasted that money for 2 semesters. I think we should have been liable to repay the government for those 2 wasted semesters (not to mention she received HOPE scholarship for 1 semester, so we actually profited off her failure.

I'm thankful she finally turned it around, but it was ridiculous for a while.

6. rtsy

rtsy Member

"By keeping student loan rates artificially low, the federal government is contributing to the rapid increase in college tuition and forcing today’s workers to subsidize the educational choices of tomorrow’s big earners."

"Thus begins a classic upward price spiral caused by government intervention: Subsidies raise prices, leading to higher subsidies, which raise prices even more. Yet this higher education bubble, like the housing bubble before it, will eventually pop."

Grants and subsidized loans should be abolished.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/07/16/student-loan-scam

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What is the difference between that and the way they are currently set up?

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Now, it is just a flat grant. Having a condition would force the person to continue along their educational path in order to have it forgiven.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Joshfast wrote that the grant has to be repaid if the grantee (for example) gets all Fs or Ws. Is that true? If so, doesn't that satisfy the condition? If not, I agree with you.

10. juicystream

Wife's 1st semester: 3 Bs 1 F Tuition: $1,055 Pell: $2,155
    2nd semester: 2 Bs 1 W Tuition: $874 Pell: $1,617
    3rd semester: 1 A 2 Ws 1 D 1 F Tuition: $1,030 Pell: $1,774

That is 6 passing grades for $5,546. That 3rd semester is just laughable. That one passing grade was a one hour, institutional online orientation class. Not all Fs or Ws.

11. Classic

Classic Member

I got hammered on here a while back for making a statement that the way student financing was set up allowed for abuse. That's pretty bad.

12. GladiatoRowdy

If the student withdraws, they have to repay the money (if the withdrawal drops them below "full time" or "part time" status, whichever their Pell was based on). I don't believe that is the case if the student continues in the course, but gets a failing grade. However, there are GPA limits and if you drop below those limits, most colleges won't give you further financial aid without seeing an FA committee to override the GPA limit.

13. juicystream

And that was unintentional abuse.

If we tied earning a degree or maintaining a minimum GPAs, I'd like it much better. Based on the wording in this thread, it is just about being in good standing, which most people are, and if they aren't, they can just switch schools and be in good academic standing.

14. rage

rage Member

It's a nice theory but nothing to back it up.

It's just like claiming the producers of goods and products raise price of everything because there are millionaires out there with so much money. Hence, we should abolish their wealth.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Heck, if you're going anywhere more than half time you'd need student loans. Pell Grant is still around 2500 - 3000 per semester? That cut it at U of H in the mid/late '90s but I don't think it will anywhere now.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If so, that happened very recently. That's a need based grant so I honestly don't think either D of Ed or any University would be that vindictive, especially considering how much they burn on scholarships for failing athletes.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

As a current student whose is from poverty and is continueing my education in college duebto the pell grant this is crappy news to hear... although i am confused i thought i coupd only use the pell grant 4 yrs(8semesters) but noe your telling me i was actually wrong and it was 9years(18 semesters) and theyre cutting it down to 6 years(12 semesters?

Well hells yeah, thats still an extra 2 more years i wasnt expecting! :grin:

18. GladiatoRowdy

You can likely get a Master's or MBA in 2 years. I did mine in 3 part time.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont understand why they would not base it on hours. it seems to hurt people that would go part time, have children, work a full time job etc.

20. GladiatoRowdy

I completely agree with this.