1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Now that the season is over, should we trade rafer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iku, May 3, 2008.

1. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

I'd be more worried about find Novak more playing time.

2. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Is that because Rafer's great or simply because he's the closest thing to a PG the Rockets have?

Even healthy he's extremely streaky and he can't penetrate. Just about every elite team in the West has a point guard who can not only shoot but can also break down defenses by driving to the paint and distribute.

In the best of all possible worlds Brooks matures into that kind of player next year for the Rockets and Alston's no longer starting. Without a serious upgrade to the PG position the Rockets might get past the first round next season but it's an open question whether they'll be able to make any noise after that.

3. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

finding***

4. twoniner

twoniner Contributing Member

Yes, because the work habit and talent level of Steve Francis and Grant Hill are comparable. **** me. You guys really think Steve had something left?

5. iku

iku Member

i agree with badgerfan completely. when i watch how rafer runs our offense, i've always wondered if its because he actually understand the system, or is he the best pg that the rockets have?!

6. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

My hope is that Rafer will be the backup next season. Judging from this series, he probably needs to stay with this team. The question is whether Brooks will be able to start next year or not. If not, I think he becomes expendable in the "win now" mentality this team should have. Judging from some interest Brooks received, he has some trade value.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Hahaha on the Mike James mention. Nice. :D

Looks to me like Brooks is the future... if SF3 can come back strong, I don't see a need for B-Jax or Rafer... except that it's fairly obvious they both understand Adelman's schemes.

Tough call. I'd say a "yes - but only if you trade up."

Maybe a Bibby type? I don't know... I'd almost rather invest in Brooks.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's proven he's a good player under adelman's system. he shot well in this series generally. we just need to find him a legit backup who can run the offense.

tmac is just a better scorer when he plays with alston. with bobby, he has to be the PG and bobby isn't even that good of a scorer.

what we need this offseason is pray that brooks will improve b/c i doubt we can get a backup PG.

he's our on the court leader believe it or not even when BOTH tmac and yao are playing.

the goals for this offseason is to get a backup for tmac b/c head just doesn't do it. try to improve novak b/c he's just a great shooter and we need that. and get another big man (legit 7 footer)

9. krockets

krockets Member

Trade for a starting PG, keep Rafer as a backup point guard for 20 minutes a game.

10. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Trade him or bring somebody in over him, and let him come in off the bench

11. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

His stock is sky high, let's trade him for a decent backup C. Don't know if we can sign a pg with our MLE.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Any time you talk about trading any player, the key factor is WHO are you trading him for? I'd absolutely trade Rafer for the "right" deal. Debating what the "right" deal would be is the key question. It would be almost impossible to get an upgrade over Rafer in a straight up trade, without throwing other players or draft picks in too though.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Let's face it. We didn't have Rafer in 2.5 of the 4 games we lost. Had he been able to play the full series, we would be preparing for the 2nd round or at least game 7 of this series. We keep Rafer & see how Brooks developes. Besides, we saw what happened to Dallas & Phoenix when they made kneejerk reactionary trades. All that being said; if we get offered Nash, Paul, Williams, Calderon or Parker for Rafer and a 1st, then we do it!!

I'm soooooooo proud of this team for what they accomplished this season in spite of all the injuries!!! :D

14. Guru

Guru Member

I don't think so. Rafer brings a lot of toughness, tenacity and leadership with his play and demeanor. Would I want to upgrade that spot, yes! But not using Rafer. I think he comes back!

15. resinsoft

resinsoft Member

YAO,Scola,Battier,T-MAC, are must not traded...

16. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Rafer better be on this team next year.

Brooks has not shown he is ready to be a starter. His biggest problem will be figuring out how he can defend big PGs. Could you imagine him trying to guard Deron Williams or Chauncy Billups for an entire game. they would post him up 40 times.

Anyone who thinks SF3 is gonna come back super strong is also dreaming. Here was a guy who couldnt get in shape, then couldnt run the offense, and clearly lost some athleticism. Now he has major surgery and you expect him to come in and be the player he was 5 years ago?

17. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Monta Ellis is a Shooting Guard.

18. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Referring to the second half of your post, never doubt anything. Steve is a guy that came to Houston because he loves the place and is getting paid less just to play the team he dreams to play for again. He will do whatever it takes to make this team better, because he has heart. Amare Stoudemire and Zydrunas Ilgauskas both came back from surgery with better numbers as their years progressed since they had surgery, and I predict the same to happen with Steve. If it doesn't happen, oh well, he's not getting paid that much anyways.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAZYfB7AkAE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAZYfB7AkAE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not necesarily trade him, but we have to find a better starter at PG to really compete in the WC...

DD

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

Rafer is untradeable.

A good team will trade for him to be a backup, no one will give much for a backup PG.

And why would a crappy team trade for a starting PG that is not going to make them significantly better?

Rafer is untradeable.