1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the season is over, should we trade rafer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iku, May 3, 2008.

1. iku

iku Member

last year of this time, we were all bashing on rafer, demanding a trade with some other "better" point guards. however, as we can all see (with dallas), by trading harris for a veteran point guard (jason kidd) did not work out nicely, because jason had no idea how to run their system (or might just not be able to guard chris paul).

so my point of the post is, should we trade rafer? or keep him as our starting point guard, and get a decent backup?
    i'd want to hear from all of you guys!

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Keep him. It's apparent how valuable his is to our team so why try changing out parts? Unless you can insure me that we can get Chris Paul or Steve Nash, no deal.

3. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

The guy's streaky at best. He's not getting any younger.

On the other hand chemistry wise I think he gets along well with the Rockets. I'd still try to upgrade the point guard spot though.

4. ekim

ekim Member

I just want a PG that can shoot above 42%...

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

What about Mike James? Is he available??

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

I always took up for Rafer, sure he's not an elite PG like CP3 or Deron Williams but he is very valuable to this team. We shouldn't trade him unless we are getting a 3rd scorer in return. I know one thing if he's traded we better find another dependable PG or it won't matter. B-Jax better not be the starting PG next year.

7. mms

mms Member

Rafer is a Keeper even if we get a star pg.

8. roswell raygun

The only way I trade Rafer is if we can include him in a package deal to get a younger and better point guard. It's easy to like him when he's shooting well and hate him when he's not, but Rafer's value to the team was on display all season -- from the early days of training camp when everyone expected him to be brushed aside in favor of Mike James and Steve Francis, to the end of the playoffs, when the Rockets suffered a second half collapse without him.
    I say, unless we can get our point guard of the future, Rafer has to be back.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

My only question is for whom? First, who will trade you back a better PG for Rafer unless we give up some other really good pieces?

Secondly, Brooks is not ready to start and hasn't show the composure for major minutes yet. B-Jax has repeatedly shown he is only good as a 6th/7th man and no more. So, you would have to trade for a good PG who WILL be able to start and play well and lead the team as well as Rafer has.

If anything trading Rafer would be High Risk, High reward, which would not be something Morey would do.

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Another ballhog don't think so! Take your next pick, this time you might get an A+. Seriously, James is not this team needs.

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

his value will be as high as it will ever be.

lets let brooks play major minutes next year, either start or come off the bench depending upon what we can get through trade or free agency.

rafer would be awesome to trade especially if steve francis is back next year. (a talented sf3)

12. khimmatramka16

I honestly feel that DJ Augustin has a very.. very good chance of being a steve nash/chris paul type of impact player. the guy has heart and a mind

13. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

absolutely not.

you guys saw what happened when he left the game, he brings so much more than this fg % tells. we need rafer to succeed and when yao comes back, he will only get better. all we need is a pure shooter who can play defense and a more reliable back up pg.

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

If we could get better playmaker, maybe more consistant shooter, than I'd do that.

But Rafer played really well in this year's playoffs

15. Landlord Landry

yeah we saw what happened when he was our only option......

get rid of him, get rid of head, get rid of bjax.....find someway to grab calderon or even monte ellis...this core is NOT working.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rafer sucks, but we are not very good without him.

17. twoniner

twoniner Contributing Member

Let Bobby Jackson run point guard. He has good playoff experience, and he obviously doesn't get discouraged by pesky poor shooting performances.

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Steve Francis...fully healthy with his mind right...could be a great thing. Sorta like a Grant Hill in Phoenix type of situation.

I'm still depressed after the loss.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Trade him to upgrade. No doubt about it.

20. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Great. Now how do we crack into the top 10 spots of the draft to snatch him up? He wouldn't solve any of our problems... Keep Rafer.