1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the roster is set...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Severe Rockets Fan, Sep 3, 2004.

Tags:
?

How many wins in 04'-05?

1. 40-45

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 45-50

77 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. 50-55

228 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. 55-60

56 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. 60+

30 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not towards the end of the year or the playoffs. Scott only averaged 3.5 mpg while Boki averaged about 8 mpg in the playoffs. Boki plays better D than Scott which would seem to be more what JVG is looking for from the 3 spot.

Of course, I have no explanation for Scott's contract.

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

Yes.

If Jeff Van Gundy is a top tier head coach, he MUST prove it now. To me, that means two things: (a) 51 or more regular season wins, and (b) deep into the second round of the playoffs or further. No excuses.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First of all it wasn't a "Dream Team" it wasn't even our JV, it was more like a freshman team. Second of all it wasn't a matter of chemistry, it was a matter of skills, the US wasn't good enough in the skills that mattered the most in that tournament. Was chemistry going to make them better shooters? Chemistry would of made them adjust to FIFA's rules better? Were they going to become better passers with some chemistry? Did past US teams need chemistry to win?

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

50-55

Even though, they'll have barely any chemistry, IT'S T-MAC AND YAO!

Just pass the ball to them and let 'em take over, pretty simple.

The Rockets have a lot of talent, good depth, and possibly the best defensive coach in the game. Even 49 wins would be a disgrace. 50 for sure!

5. Sane

Sane Member

Don't care about the regualr season because we have to work through some kinks. But second round sounds good to me.

My personal prediction is that we make the Conference Finals, but second round would be ok too. It's a step, and that's what's important.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why don't we just bring back Rudy and let him struggle to reach 40 wins a season. Then you'll be happy, right?

7. Gladiator

Gladiator Contributing Member

Question: What happens if the TE expires? Does it save us money on the salary cap?
    Otherwise, whats the point of not using it?

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

50 wins is realistic and should be a goal for this team.

45 is the minimum expected, and anything under that is a big disappointment. I think this year Yao should really assert himself as a dominant player (and I think the olympics experience will help that), and since he knows the system should step up a bit.

9. Sane

Sane Member

We won't use the TE. We don't have any more significant needs, and we would go into luxury tax territory if we use the full TE I believe.

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

With a healthy team, that NEVER happened.

What would make me happy is if this team acquired a championship caliber head coach. I do not think Jeff Van Gundy should be fired now. He did enough to earn a second year. To earn a third, I've laid out exactly what I feel needs to be accomplished. If he does not reach those goals, he needs to be fired.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

With all the changes, it still all depends on Yao.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I completely agree.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is that because you think Yao is the Rocket's best player? If you want to put it all on ONE player, put it on Tracy, he's the Rocket's best player, the guy who will have the ball more than everyone else, and more than likely the guy counted on to deliver in the clutch.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

with yao moving into his 3rd year and mcgrady being mcgrady and having a decent set of role players, anything under 50 wins would be a disappointment.

i think we'll win 49.

i seem to recall him winning 58, 57, and 55, and 48 and 47 in other years. hell, he somehow got 45 wins out of the 2001 team. lets not kid ourselves about their not being low talent levels and enormous injuries (or did you forget those) in the two non-winning years we had. if you think our talent isn't greater now or we aren't healthier then i don't know what to say.

15. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

I would want a 50 win team but i think they're around a 47 wins though but thats just me.

16. speedjames

speedjames Contributing Member

Know watcha mean. Will Yao be the fiery Yao of the Olympics?

Still, I think Yao will get his, TMac will get his -- it really all depends on how the point-by-committee and forwards-by-committee work out. If it gels, the Rox will be "deep and versatile", if not, they will be "Yao, TMac, and a bunch of scrubs".

Can't wait to find out which it will be...

17. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Anything less than 60 wins would be a failure.

Yao + Mutombo + Mcgrady + Howard + Jackson + Sura + Taylor + Lue + Nachbar + Padgett + Ward + Van Gundy + Keith Jones + Bill Worrell = Championship

Yao + Mutombo + Mcgrady + Howard + Jackson + Sura + Taylor + Lue + Nachbar + Padgett + Ward + Van Gundy + Keith Jones + Bill Worrell - Cynthia Cooper = Watchable Houston telecast Championship

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Like Pat Riley says: No rebounds = no ring.

I'd say slight improvement (48-50 wins) but hope to hell that I am wrong!

19. Milos

Milos Member

Just wondering...

If JVG doesn't work out, doesn't Phil automatically become target #1 to replace him?

Isn't it just too perfect...Phil, replaced by Rudy, in turn replaces him as he continues his incredible fortune of Jordan/Pippen to Shaq/Kobe to Yao/Tmac as the coach of the league's dominant duo?

I'd have to think if Jeff doesn't pan out, for whatever unforeseen reason, Phil is the clear frontrunner as the next coach of the Rockets.

He always takes about a year off to check the landscape of the league...maybe this time he will decide Yao and Tracy represent his best shot of passing Red as the All-Time winningest coach.

Do you like the idea of Phil coaching the team?

I do, if it means anywhere near the success he found with the Bulls and Lakers.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I can't make up my mind. It'll be 82-0 or 81-0 with a rain out.