1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Averaging the Fewest Points Allowed Per Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Dec 4, 2014.

1. don grahamleone

Way different results. I'm guess when you hold teams to so few points, that it really helps the offense relieve some off shooting nights. Wooooh points per possession! How many of these super fast paced guard driven teams has won a championship?

Until I see the hard interior playmaking from the friggin sissy Golden State Warriors coached by a pissant former NBA player, I don't care what they do from the outside. When the possessions per game slow down in the playoffs, the refs swallow whistles, and the shots don't get a chance to heat up, they'll shut down. Trust me.

Sorry, DD, none of that is really directed at you unless you love the way the Warriors play.

2. NotChandlerParsons

Seriously... aside from a few outliers (the Pistons who had a bad offense, and one of those Kobe/Shaq Lakers teams who had a bad defense, I forget which one), ya gotta have a top 10 offense and defense to contend. Kinda robbing Peter to pay Paul so far.

I think we have the firepower here though. Just gotta figure it out.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

The good part about being a more defensive team this year is that, even if our differential is the same, I feel like our variance will go down just because we aren't counting on our offense to score 105+ every night. Offense comes and goes, but you can always maintain a strong defensive intensity. It's just a matter of willpower.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Slowing down the pace also means fewer possession for yourself, which means you have fewer opportunities to score. The goal of the game is to score more than your opponent.

Pace is not directly related to better offense or defense. It's just about style. Points per possession, on both ends, determine how good you are.

The Rockets are #3 at DRtg (ppp allowed) behind Golden State and San Antonio.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2015_ratings.html

That said. Top 3 is elite.

5. jtr

jtr Member

Actually a great point. I had not thought of it that way. But defense shows up every single game. Some nights the offense does fail to show.

I do believe that variance on defense is tightly correlated to the quality of team one is facing. That is probably statistically predictable, with few outliers.

Offense on the other hand seems more loosely correlated to the opponents defense. It can go off for 108 points against the SAS, and score 82 the next night against Philadelphia. I guess that makes sense. Shooting by nature is streaky.

I actually am going to have to think about this subject more. You may have uncovered something here Spacemoth.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

IMO, In the playoffs slower pace on defense which makes the opp work harder ever offensive possession and being to stop the opponent from scoring is directly related to success

7. baubo

baubo Member

The Rockets aren't actually that slow in pace. It was at the very beginning. But since then it's gone up. You're seeing more fast breaks. Perhaps that's an opponent thing, perhaps it's due to being more familiar with our defense. Regardless, we're not running up and down the court, but we're not prodding along like the JVG days either.

The one discerning difference between this year and last year is that a slower pace makes Harden and Howard more important. Harden’s 25 and Howard’s 20 are more important when the score is in the 90s instead of 110s. Howard’s defense is also more impactful with less running and fast breaks on both ends of the court. Overall, the more defensive oriented team makes use of Harden’s skills more than previously. Which is partially why he looks like a better player. He's a bigger part of the game.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The run and gun bs offense was finally canned.

9. jtr

jtr Member

No. Injuries galore. Expect it back as soon as the injured starters return. Few teams are as young as the Rockets. When you are young you run and run and run. Wear those old ******* out.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

My comment wrt the pace thing is that, generally, I'd rather the team play great defense and win at a slower pace than a faster one. Historically the former leads to more championships and playoff success. The caveat there is that the NBA is a changing beast all the time. Who knows what will work going forward.

All of which is meaningless because the sample size is too small and the rockets are missing so many guys and the playoffs are so so different anyway. And because there so so so manybdamn good teams in the west. The start we've had and a few losses and were down to the 7th seed. It's crazy.

11. don grahamleone

I already said that.

AND you took my credit. Are we in an office and you're my boss, Spacemoth?

Okay, fine... you said it prettier than I did, but I inspired you!

12. NotChandlerParsons

We will still run but I don't think you'll see nearly as much leaking out from this group.

13. jtr

jtr Member

According to ESPN standings we are currently the fourth seed.

14. don grahamleone

It looks like the 2000-2001 Lakers weren't too good defensively during the regular season, but Kobe, Shaq and Fisher all missed a ton of games. During the playoffs they kicked up the defense and allowed 90.6 ppg.

So, I still think you have to play very good defense to win a championship. Only caveat I've found is actually us. Our 2nd championship team allowed 104.2 ppg. Ouch.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, pace goes both ways. It also makes yourself work harder to score on the other end.

I do agree that slower pace usually means less fast break and fast break is one of the most efficient ways to score. So being able to limit the opponent's fast break usually means lower PPP.

On the flip side, creating turnover increases the pace. But everybody knows creating turnover means good defense.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

better defense (slower pace) = less possessions

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Actually, we are now right at the league average when it comes to the age of the team. Look it up. It surprised me as well.

18. jtr

jtr Member

Really? That is a shock. I don't need to look it up. Your word is good enough for me.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The issue isn't the run and gun offense being bs. If you create a stop or turnover/missed shot it's good offense to run and gun.

The problem was Lin and Parsons to be completely honest. They'd just straight up leave their man and leak heavily on the break alongside Harden. Jones was terrible (in the past, not sure how he will be this year) at boxing out his man if the PF had any decent amount of size. So that left Dwight/Asik trying to rebound against anywhere from 2-4 guys.

This resulted in a lot of cheap baskets for the opposing team because all of their players would crash the glass. This year it's different because Ariza hits the boards hard every possession. As does Papa. In addition having D-Mo/Black/Dorsey as big strong bodies boxing people out helps as well.

Now our center is not left on an island with half the team leaking out. I think that's been a major difference this year. Even Harden is looking to rebound and actively chases the ball. The entire team culture is just different. We gang rebound. We also create a lot of turnovers by using effective double teams.

These types of "winning plays" parlay into a heavy amount of transition opportunities. If they can get easy transition buckets still though, that would be great. I'm very thankful players like Lin and (although I really liked watching him here) Parsons are gone.

The current group just has a nose for the ball that you cannot simply teach.

1 person likes this.