1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notre Dame Videographer Dies at Practice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fyreball, Oct 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I doubt it.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Notre Dame football has been dead for years already.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The kid tweeted his death. That is incredible.

4. RocketMania1991

As sad as this is I highly doubt this will have hardly any effect on ND athletics....

The kid obviously realized the danger of what he was doing judging by his facebook messages. Not to mention i'm sure he signed liability waivers as well removing alot of fault from ND.

Plus most of the athletic head coaches and personnel probably didn't even notice this until it happened. I'm sure this kid just shows up goes there and does his thing and leaves.

Did he get crushed by this lift or anything? I haven't found where they said how tall it was.

I'd figure most people could survive this drop if they held on properly while it was falling.

Feel bad for the family.

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

that's crazy... sad story.. RIP Declan

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This will not destroy ND football. In fact, they'll play a game on Saturday.

7. Nero

Nero Member

I don't mean immediately. Lawsuits will take time, but they will happen, and the repercussions will be far-reaching, especially if this becomes high-profile, which it should, if the parents' lawyer has any brains at all.

This will cost ND hundreds of millions of dollars, not to mention the staggering bad press.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The accident really sucks but I think you are overreacting.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I bet Brian Kelly has been having this kid go up the tower every week to video tape the practice, and it never occurred to him that conditions could get very dangerous in a very short amount of time. I just wonder HOW many people thought to themselves "hmmm, maybe this kid should come down from there?" It's just a general lack of responsibility on EVERYBODY'S part....including the kid himself. I'm sure there will be outcries for Kelly to be fired (personally, I think in order to save face for the university, he probably should be), along with anybody and everybody could have done something. I just wonder what would have happened if the kid had said no to going up? Is Kelly the kind of coach who doesn't take "no" very well, or would he have understood? I guess we'll never know.

Also, this really isn't like the Bonfire incident simply because this was DIRECTLY relating to the football team. It was by the team's instruction that the kid went up there to begin with, whereas Bonfire was a student sanctioned event. Also, I sincerely doubt the football program suffers too deeply because of this, assuming Kelly does not lose his job. The university on the other hand, will probably be facing millions and millions of dollars in lawsuits. It's really just a sad story all around.

10. Major

Major Member

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Every couple of years an actual football player dies during practice at one of these schools. Can you remember which ones? Me neither.

If a team can have a football player die on the field and be fine, then I'm pretty sure it can survive this. (Not trying to downplay how terrible this is, just the reality.)

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Maybe at some level, but he's 20, we broadcast extreme sports all the time, nothing really bad ever happens on Jackass, reporters stand on the beaches in front of hurricanes, he has a trust with the program that it is not dangerous, his adrenalin is going, he's in a cool job, he has little experience with this sort of thing, he's not going to wimp out in front of the football team and coaches, etc.

There were a lot of large and small influences keeping him up there and not many at all wanting him to come down.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

doubtful. they sent him up there in dangerous conditions, ie: the scissor lift says dont use with winds greater than 20 MPH, yet heres 50 MPH winds and being sent up there. you didnt sign a liability waiver to be put in that situation. if he was up there hanging off the side or doing stupid stuff with no wind, then its different. this is clearly negligence on the universities part.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How many of them tweet "Man my heart hurts and I am SOOO thirsty and tired of running" minutes before they drop dead?

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this.

there will be consequences and ND will take some lumps but to think this will decimate ND beyond repair is silly.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

None, but they are almost universally seen complaining of chest pains or throwing up on the sidelines. Granted, most people who throw up during conditioning aren't going to die, but most towers that sway in the wind don't fall down.

17. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Damn RIP dude. Time will tell what really happened.
    Contrary to popular belief, I think this may be a spark in disguise for the ND football program. Less pressure on the field for a few years, realizations that you can die at anytime, more effort.
    I could be all wrong and Notre Dame closes