1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

I read a couple of articles in the paper about it, including one after they caught the guy. Also saw it on nyt and bbc websites. I apologize for not starting a thread on the bbs.

Deckard and KingCheetah like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

How old were those black churches? Were those black churches considered one of the 10 most important historical buildings in the world? Were those churches one of the 5-10 most important architectural marvels in the world?

If you want to start a thread about Baptist churches being burned down, go right ahead but comparing the those churches to Notre Dame is comparing apples to oranges. Many of the people distraught about the Notre Dame church are agnostic or atheist.... why? Because of the significance of the landmark.

napalm06, BigM, Ubiquitin and 3 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

In the last 24 hours the following major news sources have ran prominent reports/stories on the Baptist church burnings.

ABC.... MSNBC...... FOX....... CNN...... BBC...... BUZZFEED...... NYTIMES....... WASHINGTON POST..........NPR

Would you please tell me how much more coverage you would like. Perhaps ESPN should cover it as well.

Ubiquitin and KingCheetah like this.
  4. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

that guy doesn’t care about Notre Dame burning down. why would you care about muh black churches enough to apologize to him for nothing? cuck-tier stuff right there.

5. AB423

AB423 Member

So freakin sad.. I’m glad the president said they will rebuild it.

6. Major

Major Member

Yet you clicked the thread and took the time to make sure to post so everyone else knows you don't care. Quite the narcissist, eh?

7. cebu

cebu Member

which reminds me..

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Does rebuilding it really achieve much? Its not like rebuilding restores the historical aspects of what was burnt.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It didn't burn to the ground or anything. A lot of damage for sure but the structure is still sound from everything I'm reading. The aftermath actually looks a lot better than I thought it would.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/world/europe/photos-of-notre-dame-fire.html

Nook and Deckard like this.
  10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

right so just leave whats still standing and don't rebuild the rest. I just don't think rebuilding adds anything.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As I said in my earlier post, I don't doubt that the French will rebuild it, and do as good a job as limitless money will allow, and they will have however much money it takes. I'm also glad that the damage might not be as bad as it looks. I hope it isn't, but I remain skeptical. Intense heat should have heavily damaged the stained glass exposed to it. I hope I'm wrong about that. I would love to be wrong about that, because the stained glass windows were stunning. There were also other works of art of various kinds inside. I hope much of it survived.

The views from the towers of Notre Dame, which I trudged up several times, were unique and beautiful. The towers did survive, so someday the views will return for those who haven't experienced them. Those views are very different than the views from the Eiffel Tower.

gucci888 likes this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

These donation figures are getting quite ridiculous. Isn't the church wealthy enough to cover its own expenses with insurance coverage?

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Little confused...so just leave it as ruins of some sort?

14. Buck Turgidson

Lol, yes, the Catholic Church can afford to rebuild it without donations.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

At least one of the rose windows was spared:

As were the gargoyles...

Interesting how much information is available to assist in the rebuilding, both old and new:

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...will-never-be-the-same-but-it-can-be-rebuilt/

Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's basically become a pissing contest among billionaires. I was devastated when I found out about the news (Notre Dame might be my favorite building in the entire world), but I certainly wouldn't be crying any tears for the Catholic Church having to open up their purse strings. I suppose if I were Catholic I might have a different perspective, but the optics of the situation (regarding the donations) are a little ridiculous to say the least.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The donation figures are high because it is one of the 5-10 most important architectural pieces in the world and is priceless.

As for the Catholic Church paying for it, they very well may not fix it. They have financial issues as well.

The Cathedral is a symbol of French history and is extremely valuable to their culture. At this point it is essentially secular.

The Cathedral has stood on the skyline of France for nearly 900 years.

13,000,000 visit it each year......... it is a really really really big deal.

Houstunna and Deckard like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The Catholic Church very well may not have repaired it. The cost to repair it will be quite high. The Catholic Church is primarily wealthy in land and historical artifacts. It is far less wealthy from weekly donations. Especially when you look at the operating cost of housing/food/ etc and the money that is already set aside for projects such as food pantries, free food lines and other projects.

I am an atheist but I was raised by Jesuits and over the years became very familiar with their costs etc.

DFWRocket and napalm06 like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I understand it's valuable, but they must have some insurance that would cover the repairs instead of GoFundMe.