1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Noticed how Trob warmed up to Coach McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 9, 2013.

1. jocar

jocar Member

Definitely a better fam environment for him and his sister here. In Sac it's more like a rowdy freshman dorm. Ihope he becomes the new Chuck wagon

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Robinson has a natural shooting touch. I agree that for this season, he should just focus on rebounding, catch and finish, and defense. But long term he will space the floor just fine. Not at Patterson level, but at least Scola level.

3. jocar

jocar Member

Teeny boppers don't wake up this early on Saturdays

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe he can develop to be our own Rodman (Dennis, not Rodman23).

Don't care much about McBrilliant, nor what he has to say.

5. andersongo

andersongo Member

I actually think that McSuccess (or McBrilliant) can mould T-Rob into an Amare Stoudemire type of player that actually plays defense; he has got the speed to lead a fast break and the athleticism to finish with authority at the rim.

6. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Have heard all year that the players love playing for the coach and the coach has nurtured the players. Never seen a team over achieve like the Rockets have so far this year.

One of the best low post players to ever play the game and a Hall of Famer and an excellent coach teaching coachable players is priceless.

7. fattz

fattz Member

His upside is seems that of an all-star. I think in time other players will be compared to him (an old school power forward). Wait we were just looking for an all-star.

Still want to see Jonesie get some burn at the 3,4, or 5.

8. loox

loox Member

Cmon, people are critical of McHale because of his stubbornness, distrust in his starters, and lack of in-game adjustment, but because he is a bad person. He has done many good things to the team. Can't people distinguish criticism from personal attack?

9. loox

loox Member

...not because ...

10. loox

loox Member

By the way, really like this Robinson dude. Very athletic, very quick judgment (the blocks and steals), and apparently good attitude. Hope he could grow into a great player.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I don't think he should work on spacing the floor. If we need a 4 who can do that we can put in Delfino, Parsons, DMo, or even Garcia. What we don't have is a 4 who can rebound and play D. Thomas Robinson should work on that.

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Not sure yet how I feel about McHale as a coach, but the fact that lots of guys have had career years here under him shouldn't be ignored. Add Lee, Patterson, Lowry, Dragic, and Parsons to that list. Probably could think of a few others too if I really thought about it.

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Anybody else see him laughingly asking Mchale to re-insert him at the end when Harden was shooting FT's?(the game was pretty much over, 4 seconds left)

That was so cute.

14. blunto

blunto Member

This is what McHale brings to the table:
    • Soft skills
    • Confidence
    • He steadies the boat when younger players swing back and forth emotionally.
    • He is a father figure for the youngest team in the league.
    • He's a hall-of-famer, and big dog.
    • He gets respect.
    I don't know who else on this coaching staff, despite all of their varied strengths, is better suited for this role.

From the limited perspective of a fan on the outside looking in, little things like this definitely appear encouraging.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Speaking of these:

1. I think the Rockets made several adjustments last night that helped with the win: First, when the team faltered with its regular lineup, they went small and stuck with it even after GSW came back with a big lineup. Second, they made several defensive matchup alterations that helped shutting GSW down: Parsons defended everyone from Jarrett Jack to David Lee. Asik started on Bogut but switched to Lee when Ezeli came in (with Delfino guarding the center). They also made Harrison Barnes take and brick shots when there are more dangerous options there (though GSW certainly helped on that end). Third, unable to hit shots all game, they somehow generated enough crunch time scoring from the 1-2 pick and roll and foul drawing by Harden and Lin to pull ahead.

2. I don't think McHale has shown any evidence that distrusts anyone in particular. He simply seems to keep a player in when he is playing well in the past few minutes and a particular 5 man group is having positive minutes together. Isn't this what people call "adjustment"?

For example, vs. Dallas, McHale kept Pat Bev and TRob in when they made nice defensive plays (Pat with a steal from Mike James, Robinson with aggressive D) leading to a 10-2 run. McHale also stayed small because Dallas was running a Dirk, Marion, VCR front.

In the GSW game, Pat made 2 stupid fouls being overly aggressive to start the 4, and Parsons got anither foul, giving the Rockets 3 team fouls with more than 10 minutes to go. These two came out immediately and Lin and Harden went in and played the rest of the quarter. Asik played the entire 4th.

Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't, but McHale was quite clearly only staying with a unit when they have played well in the last several minutes. This is not undue distrust or trust.

16. SeabrookMiglla

i like how you totally killed the mood in this thread with this line LOL

17. loox

loox Member

I find this recent video very insightful and reasonable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPStYh4Zxj8

18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

McFail? That stings.

#38 burlesk, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  19. ChippedToothLin

cuz H-Town > Sactown, I'd be depressed as hell if I lived over there

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If TRob can work on his mid range Jumper and post play this offseason, watch out..he has tremendous athleticism...something we direly missed out on with PPat...

The Rockets should look to get another piece if possible, but I just love the way our team looks going from this point forward...Go Rockets