1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notes on the Rockets/Draft...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I know Odom is very talented, but do we really need another ball handling penetrator? I think we need an expert marksmen (like Rice) who can hit the countless open shots that will be created for him. Hopefully we can get nachbar to fill this role.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Unless he opens his big mouth publicly, I will support Steve.

3. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Gotta worry about resigning the kid. JWill is an easy 5 years on the cap. Francis may cost us the two and be gone lickety split.

4. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

For all of those who think we should trade Francis for the #2,in MY OPINION, JayWill will probably end up being a better pg than Steve, but I still don't think we can trade him. Steve is a proven all-star(he started last year),and we are already taking on a project with Ming. Although I agree with your argument that JayWill will be better than Steve, there is no way we take on 2 rookies, have no star power, and are about to move in to a new arena, it just isn't going to happen.

5. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

What if Francis is not worried about Francis. When the Houston Rockets are mentioned now on a sports show or prom, it is Francis and Mobley with their Houston Rockets. Francis is going to continue to be a star and his name will be mentioned with the Rockets, but if Griffin becomes a star and then Ming does. Would it not be Francis, Griffin and Mings Houston Rockets?

6. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Thank YOU! EDDIE!!! EDDIE!!! (GRIFFIN IS THE MAN!) for your comments regarding reasons that the ROX do not trade Francis.
    I disagree with one comment though...I'll bet you $5 (0% interest) payable in three years that Steve destroys J Will in the 2005 NBA Finals. DESTROYS HIM!!!!!

I'd be happy if I'm wrong, especially since we'd be in the finals based on our bet and the Rockets would win the war even if we lost the individual battle. NOTE: E-mail me in three years if you end up winning this bet, I'll be celebrating the Rockets Championship!!!

Seriously, Let's all wait to see if Steve voices his disapproval on drafting Ming FOR THE RECORD...Geez he's taking a beating from a lot of members on this board either for things that he's said in very few words/body language and especially for things HE'S NOT SAID!

Steve Francis is the Man, he's our best player and he's much more fun to watch than Andre Miller! And dunks and flash is what sells tickets (barring a ridiculously injured team) and puts the Rockets on ESPN.

Which will be a good thing being that we're going back to the Promised Land!

7. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

Dunks and flash put you on ESPN -- Vince Carter, "White Chocolate"

WINNING puts you on ESPN, and keeps you on ESPN -- Lakers, Sacramento, Bibby, Jason Kidd.

Nobody cares much about Marbury's flashiness or Jason Williams' anymore once they saw what less flashy players accomplished in their stead.

8. ptw1

ptw1 Member

Deckard, if you think magic,bird, jordan did not care about the spot light you're dead wrong. Of course winning was #1 but being "the man" was a strong #2. In fact despite magic/bird were winning titles in the 80's they didnt like the young kid name Jordan stealing all the headlines. Also, Jordan, the biggest star in the world, had issues with Toni K coming from Europe to the Bulls. Not all the reasons were basketball related. The point is, one can want to win more than life itself but also crave the spotlight.

9. yaomingdude

yaomingdude Member

All Steve needs to think about is the number of new eyeballs that are going to see his game--there's something like 200 million basketball fans in China alone. That exposure will be good for everyone on the team. Instead of being seen by the Chinese 2 or 4 times a year (whenever a non-Rocket Yao played the Rockets), he could be seen 81 times (plus playoffs) if Yao were on his team, assuming the Chinese networks will broadcast every game which I heard is going to happen.

In essence, I can imagine alot of endorsement opportunities for Yao, Franchise, and Cat. Having Lamar Odom on our team isn't going to expedite our trek to the championship, so Steve should welcome Yao with open arms.

10. rslay

rslay Member

You know, I've had a growing suspicion the last few years that basketball fans in the East had a real problem with tunnel vision about how the game ought to be played, and now all this talk about hostility from Francis and his crew of Washington and Philadelphia buddies makes me think the problem is really serious.
    I guess the term is street ball. But it seems the Eastern conference got into trouble by living in its own little universe of little players egged on by fans who wanted to see their heroes from Georgetown or Seton Hall, not caring that they would get destroyed by the Spurs or Lakers in the finals.

What really infuriated me this year was when the Nets' attendance collapsed when they swapped local hero Marbury for Kidd, who immediately turned the team around. Early this season their attendance was worse than the Rockets. See, folks there would rather see their guys playing their style than win.

I'd hate to think Francis, Mobley and the gang refuse to accept the necessity for foreign players, because no matter how stylish Odom is, he can't offset the superior teamwork of the Mavs and Kings.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

ptw1, I only mentioned Bird and Magic. I never said they didn't enjoy the "spotlight" once they got it, just that they didn't care. They were obsessed with winning, and the spotlight came from their success. I think Steve is obsessed with winning as well, which is great. From what has been coming out lately, I think he is getting more and more obsessed with the spotlight, to the detriment of the team.

When Clutch is as concerned about it as he seems to be, I get concerned even more. Clutch doesn't throw his opinions around without SOME basis for it. Let's hope Steve chills out, signs his extension, and trusts RT and CD to do what's best for the team... whatever ends up happening. I think they know a little more than he does. (smilies!)

We'll just have to disagree on this one. (more smilies! (lol))

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Both were obviously obsessed with winning. I think Magic loved the spotlight though. I can't really say he did things to get in it (other then the obvious), but Magic basked in the spotlight.

13. yaomingdude

yaomingdude Member

Excellent post, rslay. Your theory rings true as evidenced by how Philly, Washington, and NY natives in the NBA saying they could whoop any other team at the NBA All-Star 3-on-3 games last year. Although it's nice to be proud from where you come from, it's dangerous to have it affect who you draft (as seen by Stevie's endorsement of drafting Terrence Morris last year--a bust in my opinion). That's why the Rockets haven't drafted great SWC or Big 12 players in the past who turned out to be busts (other than Hakeem). For example, Longhorn guards that appeared to have bright futures, but actually didn't pan out, include: Lance Blanks, Terrence Rencher, Joey Wright, etc. The Rockets haven't caved into geographical pressure in the past, and they won't start now.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why do people keep saying he is a proven all-star? Because he played in the all-star game?

Last I remember, they had to LET him score to get on the board.

I wouldn't exactly call that a proven all-star

I don't think houston wants another whiny Pippen.

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

A lot of you guys are pathetic ****s who have no business being Rockets fans.

Steve Francis is one of the best young stars in the league, and there is talk of trading him? What utter bull****. You saw what Bibby was able to do in the Finals in terms of scoring off his own dribble, and multiply that by 28. That is how much damage Francis will be able to do eventually.

Bottom line, we draft Ming. I CANNOT see how he will be worse than Cato. I simply can't see it. He will have to not play in order to be worse. So if he is an improvement, and potentially a tremendous improvement, Francis will come around to accepting the decision. ESPECIALLY if we pick up a solid small forward either at #15 or through trade. I can't see him arguing with winning, and I can't see the Rockets not winning with Ming and a solid 3.

Or trade the pick for Odom... oh wait. Thats the worst idea I've ever heard.