1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notes on the Rockets/Draft...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

ya its good to have a nice debate without insults and other **** everynow and then, and i guess those stats might not be way out there by the end of the season. we'll see i guess, but if ming does crappy and we dont make the playoffs next year i wouldnt be suprised at all to see stevie go. however if the team does good then im guessin stevie will stay.:cool:

2. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

why would we want garnett if we have 3 pf's and we're draftin ming?

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Well, I'm a Ming skeptic and a Stevie-lover. I think if he ever got selfish and got rid of the migraines, he would be better than the dude in Philly. I also think he IS a team player; certainly not a selfish stat-hound. I can see why he thinks Ming's game won't fit his. I think he likes a street-ballers' game more.

I think we're gonna struggle next year, hope I'm wrong. I don't think we'll let Steve go empty handed. Steve will leave in a sign and trade. I think that's the most likely scenario. I hope that Ming ends up a stud and Steve will be happy. But, I think a sign and trade next year is more likely. Ming won't play lights out but just good enough to keep Rdy intrigued and employed.

4. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

i think as long as were healthy we'll make another run at the playoffs. we almost made it in 2000-2001 why not next year?

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Like it or not, we have given Steve this team to lead. We have changed the O for himand drafted a team to fit around him.....he is our guy. Do guys realize that you all are talking about trading the starting allstar point? The guy IS the team, look at how we faired without him. I have a feeling that something is up in China though regardless......so maybe this is all in vain.....find out tomorrow or Sat?

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

As much as I love Francis, he isn't leaving us many options. It looks like if we draft Ming, there is a chance he may not sign an extension. He has already PUBLICLY stated that we certainly dont need a guard (J Wil).

The quesiton is, if Francis is going to be pissed regardless of whether we take Yao or J Will(assuming Ming gets clearance), who are we better off taking if Francis isnt part of the future...Williams or Ming? We may be better off with Williams.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You don't win championships in the NBA without a front court unless you are Michael Jordan. That is why we won the lottery, even though we have arguably the best backcourt in the league. Kidd was the MVP of the league, but NJ would have lost to any of the teams in the WC semis because of the their big men.

8. NJRocket

Rockbox...maybe so (about the comment regarding big men) but are we really going to be able to compete with Ming at center and Moochie at the point if Steve leaves?

My point is if Steve has a hardon for us taking Ming or J Wil, then he has beasically telling us he is leaving in a year if we draft either of the 2 best players in the draft. I'm asking if Steve leaves, would Williams help us more than Ming?

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's just it.

I don't want to trade Steve. But I don't want him to dictate the direction of the team. If he leaves us no options...if he doesn't sign his extension...if he signs his extension but treats Ming like a red-headed stepchild...then we might have to look elsewhere.

People keep saying (this is Bulls country), "Why did the Bulls trade Brand for a high-school kid?" Answer: Because he wanted to leave anyway.

The problem about trading Francis, even if we match talent-for-talent:

It will be obvious to everyone why Steve was traded. This will polarize players, coaches, media, fans, etc. Half will say, Well, the Rockets did the right thing. Half will say Rudy and CD have lost it. It won't make Steve look good to force the hand of two different teams; of course, all parties involved wouldn't care if their new respective teams were winning and happy.

10. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Not sure if you checked this on RealGM since I didn't see the "TRADE ACCEPTED"

I actually think that this would be a good deal for every team even if we didn't have the whole Miller/Francis issues with their teams.

Krause would LOVE to have a marketable superstar not yet at his prime to fit with that team. They have the money and aren't gonna get FAs there anyways. So why not?

Cleveland gets rid of a guy who might walk, gets a potential superstar replacement in JayWill AND gets a potential PG in Crawford who might even allow JayWill to play some 2 guard.

Houston gets the best pure passer this side of Jason Kidd for a guy who has problems with being here with Ming around? I'd hate to lose francis, but if he really is this upset about Ming, I do that deal and don't think twice about it.

11. ptw1

ptw1 Member

What has Rudy T or CD done, in regards to drafting players, that would give Steve confidence in their ability do what's right with the #1 pick. With the exceptions of the 2nd round steals, there have been a lot of busts. Steve looks at this team and thinks they are not that far from being a legit contender. Ming, even if he works out as best as can be expected, will never be the inside force (low-post game/rebounding) that the Rockets need. It takes a lot more that being 7'5 to work inside. A Ben Wallace- type (Amare? Haliro?) is what this team needs. Even if Steve wants Odom and/or doesnt want Ming, whats so wrong w/that. If we get Odom, the 3 is now taken care of and if the #8 and #12 picks are incl'd the rockets can p/u 2 more high ceiling players.
    Finally, what's wrong with Steve wanting the spot light. Do you think when Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe or any other championship winner didnt crave the spot light? That desire for the spot light pushes Steve to work hard. I believe he is well aware that his star will shine alot brighter (ie Bibby this year) if he performs in the post season.
    My catch phrase for those who don't want ming is: "A bird in the hand and 2 more in the bush, is better than just 1 bird in the bush"

12. NJRocket

Since Steve has gotten here...we have had 2 drafts...

In 2000 ,we drafted Pryzbilla, traded him for Collier and a future #1 and drafted Najera in the 2nd round. We then took that 1st rounder from the Collier trade and parlayed it into Eddie Griffin the following year. What is there to make Steve feel insecure with the Rox draft prowess?

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What more can Steve want? We've done everything we can to accomodate him. Here's a short list:

1. Signed Cuttino Mobley to a 5 year deal.
    2. Signed Moochie Norris to a 6 yr, $22 million deal
    3. Traded a 1st rounder for his college buddy, Terence Morris
    4. Hung onto Walt even though we could've had Abdur-Rahim in a trade
    5. Steered clear of Jay Williams, a can't miss prospect

The NBA is a business, not a IM team, or a summer league team. Francis needs to support the organization's decisions whether he agrees with them or not. He is slowly developing a bad rep around the league. He was 2nd in the league in technical fouls 2 years ago, and was passed on by the Olympic basketball team.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Ming, even if he works out as best as can be expected, will never be the inside force (low-post game/rebounding) that the Rockets need</i>

Let's see, the guy is 7'6", he's got good footwork and he already shoots a hook with both hands. Explain to me again why he can't be effective inside once he improves his strength. Why won't he be able to rebound?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell people act like Kareem was benching 500lbs.
    or Sampson

Rocket River

16. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Walt Williams for Shareef Abdur-Rahim ? I never heard of that proposal. It seems unfair.:eek:

17. WHADDAYATHINK

WHADDAYATHINK Member

No knock on you, but the consensus is you don't trade an all-star player then draft a project, Ming IS a project. Miller is no Francis. Look at how many legit points are in the eastern conference. Steve made the all-star team, starting for the west. Smoke and mirrors aside the Rockets will make the playoffs and probably lose in the first round with or without Ming. Personally, I feel they have a better chance of advancing if they have a three that can defend and create his own shot. I trade down take Butler and Odom via trade and take my chances with cato and collier. They weren't the problem last year anyway. Now you have two legit threes to go with the 1,2,4 positions. 5 just needs to contribute regularly which cato is capable when he plays hard.
    I think Ming is a reach but I do hope I am proven wrong since desperation will make you do strange things.
    -ON THE FENCE-:D

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

STRONGEST STOPS FOR ROCKETS: 4,1,2 [in order]
    WEAKEST Spots: 5,3

HEALTHY Rice and Walt and TMO > Cato and Collier

Rocket River
    MING CATO COLLIER + #15 > ODOM RICE BUTLER and TMO

19. NJRocket

4 the strongest? Deepest perhaps but FAR from strong. We are head and shoulders stronger at the 1 and 2 than we are at the 4.
    Hopefully that will change as Eddie slowly takes over the 4 but it isn't the case now.

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I heard about Salmons a couple of days ago. Aldridge seems to think he may be the sleeper of the draft. He might be worth a look if he's there at 37.