1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notes on the Rockets/Draft...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. 3oClockRocket

3oClockRocket Member

Every star has an ego...
    Every team will have internal squabbles...
    Nobody likes losing...
    Everybody is entitled to have their own opinions...Francis included.

I think this whole "Francis is a whiny b*tch, let's trade him" thing is being over-analyzed and overblown. I'm certain CD and RUDY have taken necessary steps to reassure Francis and Cat. I'm confident this will all work out, and Francis will remain a rocket for a long time.

Let's have a lil faith :)

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Bob Kemp once said Steve Francis is a selfish jerk.

Turns out he may be right.

3. fred futureStar

Old Cinese proverb "Only solutions work when all save face. Do so with honor and all win" or something like that. Francis needs to sleep with the head of his bed facing east so he can subliminally get the message as he dreams at night. He'll wake up thinking it's all his idea. No room for ego on a team of one.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think there's a difference between having an opinion and being pissed off. Cuttino had an opinion, he expressed, but now he seems to trust Rudy enough to back off and let Rudy do his job. Steve, on the other hand just really seems to be pouting like a baby. I understand Steve being concerned, but I would think by now, after all the positive things Rudy has had to say about Ming and how much Rudy believes in Ming, that Steve would have a little more faith in Rudy.

5. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

The diff with this team is that I don't see them ever winning a championship. With Hakeem and Co., u knew they would pull it out...I just don't see Cat and Francis hoisting the trophy above their heads screaming, "We're world champs baby!!!". It's just my personal opinion, that with the current mix of players, there is not much chemistry (may be some off the court, but not on the court), and they will never win together. I yet have no proof...but i still hope CD and Rudy shock the world...go rockets!

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Message to Stevie- its ok bro... Ming will help our team! Where was this strong opinionated attitude when Rudy was drafting Dan Langhi & trading for Jason Collier at the #9 spot. I would have been pissed at those decisions, not this one bro... You are still the Franchise for many years to come!

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch.

Steve needs to see that having a center who can consistantly hit the mid range jumper is a plus for him. It opens up the lane for him. I seriously don't see Yao taking a long time becoming a "consistant" player. He won't be a superstar the first couple of years. We don't need that. What he will be is someone we could expect certain things from.

My question to Steve: How would he feel about Yao if by chance Yao went to Maryland for one year? Ok then. Steve you need to shut your mouth and realize Rudy knows a lot more about basketball than you do.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Seriously, until there is an official quote from Francis, we shouldn't blow this thing out of proportion and just relax.

9. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am really sorry to hear that about Francis. First he ask us to take Tmo and then he went out and prove that he was an average point guard; and instead of doing what I told him to do this summer, he has the gull to be pissed. Give me a break. To be frank, I am not surprised. He is a troubled child and a ball hog. I told him, right on this site many times, to look at videos of Stockton, Kidd, Bibby and Magic all summer long. Seems like good advice after he lead a team with the worst shooting percentage in the league and almost worst in assists. Proven?! If you want proven, go get the players that a clogging up the salary cap. There is your proven: Rice, Taylor, and Cato. He should be hoping that Rice stays healthy and comes back strong. If he watches those videos, and upgrade his play as a result, he will be da man, like Kidd and Bibby are.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Miller lead his team to how many playoff appearences? 0

T or F: Miller plays in the tougher Western Conference F

Look what John Elway did? The exact same thing that Francis did, and nobody gives him a bad time. Elway wasn't labeled as a spoiled brat his whole career.

Steve Francis came onto the team, and for two years he refused to call himself the leader, or say it was his team. Francis deferred to Hakeem.

Francis has also said he doesn't mind other people taking the last shot. I think he's willing to share the spotlight if the team wins.

11. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Thanks for the info Clutch,

I have no doubt in my mind Yao Ming will be a Rocket.

Also, I feel that unless Yao really is a bust, Stevie will turn around quickly and really like playing with him.

There was a lot more video of Ming in practice on the News lately. It looks like he really practices his low post moves.
    I think he will suprise a lot of people and will be pretty good his first year.

As for Stevie signing the extension over the summer, I hope he does, it's not in his best interest to fool around with the team. Like another poster said, the money is not out there in the summer of 2004 for him as a free agent. Unless he really wants to win and signs for the MCE to the Lakers, then he'll get a ring pretty fast.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

When the Vancouver thing happened, it was obvious from him and from credible media people. This current issue seems to only be spreading around here. If this was a big deal, wouldn't Mark Ferman have said something;) You know his source, that guy in the commercial who for some reason the Rockets feel he doesn't need any kind of light in his office? :D

13. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Someone asked if Francis and Mobley would hurt Ming wanting to play with the Rockets. He will not play for either, he will play of Rudy T. I read what Mobley said but have seen nothing public that has came from Francis other then what his buddy said about him. Someone can refresh my memory, but with the exception of Hakeem, what player has gone public againest the club or Rudy and not been traded shortly there after without the club, or Rudy ever saying a word?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Once Ming rips down an offensive rebound and passes it out to Cat and Francis for another shot, it will all be good.

Once they realize that Ming is better then Odom and Kandi, it will all be good.

Once they see the WIDE OPEN shots they will be getting because teams will double team Ming in the post, it will all be good.

Once they see that they can play tighter on their man and that Ming will have their back...it will all be good.

Ming is the thing.......

DaDakota

15. D-Up

D-Up Member

Sign Francis to the max extension.

Then see how it goes next season.

If he is still pouting and emanating negative vibes, trade him for next years number one, then take Lebron James.

Rockets need to start collecting more complete ball players, one's who can pass and play tough D, as well as shoot.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Let's give plenty of room and support to our Point Guard...Stevie Francis !!
    Too much negativity which breads negativity is abound at the moment ! I am a Ming fanatic but I want to get through the Draft and give our experts RT & CD a chance to get the full co operation of all team members. Only at this time will I try to understand the situation. I will not form a solid opinion on third party hearsay or indoctrination one way or the other! Let us, as Fans, not try to run the team into discord!

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Steve won't come out publicly and say, "Trade me." He's already pulled that crap once, much to our benefit in Clutchcity. But the bloom is off the rose. Steve is getting frustrated with the losing, yes, and apparently doesn't want to lose his spotlight. Thing is, while he is entitled to his opinion, the more I know about him, the less I believe he can lead this team.

I hope RT and CD are calling Chicago. The Bulls would love to have Steve. Cleveland would love Jay Williams. I would love Andre Miller (who is the only worthwhile player on his team and a true point guard).

Cuttino doesn't like it? Send him too. We could use Caron Butler on this team.

Forgive my lack of loyalty. I'm just venting. I can afford to be petulant about this, but this petulance on Steve's part is too much. I have always backed him up, and I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but four or five different posters on the BBS (including Clutch and Doc Rocket) have shed light on his attitude. Hopefully he can be brought around. I don't want to rebuild from the ground up; but we might have to if Steve and Cat play freeze-out on our new center.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think the Rockets should pursue that deal if we can get rid of a fat contract as well.

1. Jay Williams will make an excellent point guard.
    2. We get rid of a contract. (Maybe Glen Rice).
    3. We will have an extremely young team which can grow together over the next 3-4 years, all on the same page.
    4. We can delay giving out humongous contracts for another 3 years.
    5. This will send a message to Mobley, ship up or we send you to Cleveland.
    6. We will get no more Maryland players. We can cut T Morris and give him a $5 gift certificate to Whataburger as severance.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I feel your pain. I am a Steve Francis fan only because he is a Rocket. I can't stand his smack talking, hot dogging, no defense playing ways. He is a very gifted scorer and repounder but that is it. He is reminding me more of Stephon Marbury all the time, and we know what kind of winner he is.

I would love to have Andre Miller or as I posted in my other thread, Gary Payton. At least those two can pass.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

First, Thanks again Clutch.

I'm really disheartened to hear that (it seems) Francis is not being a team guy...because an "established" player may be available but an "established" center is not... Heck, an "established" power forward is'nt so easy to get either...maybe a tad easier, but come on Francis! Who are we gonna give up? You?...