1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Note to Morey: Your going about this wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Jun 16, 2014.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Morey lowballed Smith which caused him to leave for even less money. That's a #HotTake

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That's why I blocked him. He is so full of crap that even crap is not Broussard is not amused.

3. hakeemthagreat

Thank you

4. tdo

tdo Member

Your whole post is pretty bad, but the other poster already addressed all of the fallacies and ridiculousness of all your points. I just wanted to quote this, because I find it hilarious. You criticize him for trying to bring over Llull over, who has years of experience in the league typically regarded as the second highest level of basketball, and then proceed to say he should have drafted a decent PG... You know one that would have ZERO NBA experience as well, and likely be the inferior player to Llull considering where we were drafting and experience in a professional league vs. college ball.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

One needs to take a hard look in the mirror when agreeing with pointzero

6. hakeemthagreat

Critize him for bringing Llull over at that PRICE TAG.
    He hasn't earned that type of contract IMO. Pay attention the proof is in the post. All you gotta do is interpret it correctly

7. tdo

tdo Member

It is still a pretty ****ty point even if that was your intention.

It was the price we had to pay to try to get him over here. It wasn't even that much money, especially considering the contracts players have gotten this off-season. Aminu just got $7.5/yr and he averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds last season. Did he "earn" that contract in your opinion? $6.5/yr might be a slight overpay, but its not by any means an outrageous contract. It was a fair price to try to convince him to come over.

8. seeingred

seeingred Member

you're moving the goal posts. so now you're ok with him going for Llull, you just don't like the contract that was offered? what a joke.

9. hakeemthagreat

Aminu was a valuable contributor in the playoffs. He actually PROVED his worth. Apples & oranges. Slight overpay? Lol. I'm not sure a rookie deserves what we were offering Llull. I'm just not a believer in chasing players who haven't played one day in the NBA. Last time we overpaid a pg he literally cost us 2 playoff games

10. tdo

tdo Member

Oh okay, so a 4 game sample is good enough to prove your worth in the NBA. Gotcha. Glad we are on even terms now.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Did you really just post this and call the other poster delusional? :roll eyes:

1. You have no clue how good Grant or Jones are going to be as rookies. Maybe they will be good maybe they will not see the floor. If the Rockets had drafted them they would have likely spent the season in RGV.

2. I assume you are referring to Sam Dekker as the PF, but Dekker is a SF that may slide to PF in some situations. And we have one anonymous poster claiming that Dekker could need surgery. We have heard no credible source even bring it up. Not one mention that I can find.

3. You say DM has only done a reasonable job? Really? How often do teams rebuild in the West without ever having a losing season? How many teams acquire 2 top 10 players who are arguably the very best at their respective positions without having a single top 10 pick and no all-stars to trade or attract other all-stars? Are you having a hard time coming up with a team? I am. Daryl Morey put this team together and he did it in just about every way possible. We could go over how DM did it but its been discussed many times.

4. DM most certainly did not low ball Josh Smith. The Rockets offered Josh a million a year more than what LAC offered and with no state income tax. Josh did not leave for the money. It has been reported by multiple sources including Jonathan Feigan that Josh left for a better defined role. Also know as, we have a lot of depth at power forward and the best player will play. He has no competition for the back up role in LAC, they have no depth.

Daryl Morey has stated several times that the Rockets goal is to be better going into the play-offs than starting the season. Just like last season he improved the team during the season when teams were ready and willing to move good players via trades.

Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin, Josh Smith, Corey Brewer were all acquired during the season and not in the summer. Even James Harden was acquired just as the pre-season was coming to a close in October and not in the summer.

DM has historically used the trade deadline or after December to improve the team through trades.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Pat Beverly, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic and Aaron Brooks might all tell you that Daryl Morey knows what a good point guard looks like. He can identify them overseas, sitting on the bench or in the draft. I'm guessing Llull would have been a good one.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

big time Morey hater here, and think he's a careless GM but his acquisitions all worked out last year for the most part and were instrumental in getting us to the conference finals. I'm biting my tongue and giving him a little more rope this year.

14. PointZero

PointZero Member

Josh wanted to stay.

You don't think Josh left because Morey offered more money to Llull, McDaniels, Beverley and Brewer?

Morey offered each of those guys more than 2X what he offered Josh.

What part of that fact do you disagree with?

It's obvious why he left.

15. PointZero

PointZero Member

Clippers have Blake Griffin/Glen Davis.

Rockets have Terrence Jones/Donatas Montiejunas.

Josh is a bench player on the Clippers, but a starter on the Rockets. Josh left for what will be, in fact, a smaller role on the Clippers -- because the Clippers wanted him more.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

So, Smoove was so upset that he was offered less money than his teammates that he took...even less money?

Makes total sense

Edit: and no, there is no guarantee that he is a starter here with a healthy DMo

17. baubo

baubo Member

The logic being used in this thread by the trolls is priceless.

"How can Daryl Morey offer Beverley and Brewer more money than me? I'm going to prove a point by going to a team that will treat me right... by paying me the same amount as Hedo Turkeyglue, Big Baby Davis, and only 1/3 as much as 38yr old Paul Pierce whom they targeted way before they even talked to me. That's a team that shows me RESPECT!"

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the end of the day, we did a snt with the Clippers. We gave Josh what he wanted. We were and still are crowded in the front court. There was a lot of uncertainty about how much PT he would get here. So he made a decision that was best for him.

I respect Josh Smith - he seems like a humble guy. He asked to come off the bench and he did what was needed to help us win. He loved playing here. I have no doubt he is a mature guy and made his decision because it was the wise choice for his career, not because he was butt hurt over some perceived slight.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we got to the CF, so I won't say anything. Obviously if he sits pat and and we go out pretty quickly a season after making it pretty far...that sort of complacency will be alarming.

20. PointZero

PointZero Member

It's a matter of principle.

The Clippers paid Josh as much as they possibly could.

Morey did not, refusing to pay Josh the MLE and opting to pay more to Llull, McDaniels, Beverley and Brewer.