1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not given raise at work when promised

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zlicciardo, Jun 15, 2015.

1. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

So I work at Cinemark, their rule of thumb is a 3 month evaluation (no raise ), a 6 month eval (with raise), a year eval (with raise), and one every 6 months with raise. I just got my year evaluation and was in line for a raise. I also got a raise when I got my TABC certification so I was able to become a bartender. That was a 75 cent raise also. So for my 6 month and bar certificate I was "given" a total of .89 cent raise. My year just came around and as I was about to go get my eval, my manager told me that my raises never went through and I've been minimum wage for the past 6 months. As compensation she gave me 4 guest passes and a pair of old used Beats headphones from our "incentive" box. They were actually turned in by me about 5 months prior and I let her know that, she claimed they were given by home office to give out for good work. My question is, is there anyway I can get back-pay? Its around $450 and I could really use it. Another note is that once they figured it out they put all of my raises in one raise and on the 12th it was supposed to go in to the system so I will find out tomorrow.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, you can sue them in a court of thumb.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im confused. How did you not know you were not given a raise after six months?

Why not find a new job w/out all that nonsense?

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Tell Cinemark you have an offer from Magic Johnson Theaters and that you're willing to walk.

1 person likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

screw them.

Do they even realize you could start putting hot metal clips in the popcorn now?!

1 person likes this.
  6. AXG

AXG Member

It'll be tough to prove. You'd have to get everything in writing and then show them how/that you relied upon it.

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

That's wrong man....

But what's even worse than this comment, is that I laughed out loud and snorted a little bit....:(

As far as the topic at hand, I don't think there's anything you can do that will make it a worthwhile effort. Just take their lump raise, and go from there. If it's not to your liking, then just look to go somewhere else. (Be professional about it if you do. You should never burn any bridges, you never know who you may need on your side down the road).

8. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

My hours change every week, I can work 15 hours, then 35 the next week. We do not get a paper check and we don't have access to our electronic pay check unless we go to our manager and have them sign in and then we sign in and check it.

9. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

They have already admitted that they lost the paper work with my status change (raise). I have my TABC certification on my computer so there is .75 cents right there. And they have basically admitted that the gave me a raise by them giving me a $1.02 raise. .14 for my 6 month, .75 for my bar, and .13 for my year.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh wow! Leave this company. Please. That is the most ridiculous think I've ever heard.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Uhh... that doesn't sound right.

Pretty sure you should always be able to access your paycheck history (if it is indeed electronic).

You should show up at Cinemark Corporate (actually based in Plano) and voice your complaints directly... they may just give you a VP job for being upfront and honest.

Much like this guy:
    [​IMG]

12. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

I would also like serious responses please, I'm a broke college student and I know that there was another Cinemark thread out here a few weeks ago. I just want to know what I can do, if anything.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah that sounds ridiculous. I worked at plenty of low wage hourly jobs and never had to deal with anything like that.

14. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

It's true. When I go to clock in I have access to the hours I work, but not my pay. So I always assumed that my GM went and put the paper work in and I would get my raise. I had never had any issues with the place, everyone was really helpful and I just assumed it was done, but yes, I could not check my electronic check without going into the office and having a manager sign in to the application called FREDA and put their info in before I could do mine.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, take it up with corporate.

Get promoted to VP in a week...

Free movies for life!

On a serious note, all employees at cinemark, or any company that uses modern technology for payroll info, should be able to access their payroll info... that is definitely something I'd clarify. There's probably a website that is doing the same thing "FREDA" is doing, and you just need a username/password...usually the same login as your work email.

Your manager is probably just logging into a VPN or citrix program... something you have the ability to do at home as well.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

you should probably get the hell out of there. I dont suggest burning that bridge, more like a full on bone fire.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

wheres cinemark?

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Seems very bizarre they don't send you a paystub of some sort. Especially a big company like cinemark. Pretty big control weakness for them.

But either way....looks like your manager just doesn't want to fess up to corporate that your raise was missed. I think you should do a detailed calculation of what you missed ($450?) and ask her again. From what you've posted it's her error. She can make your working life hell there if you go over her head unreasonably, but she should have some wiggle room to correct it or may have to reconsider owning up her error to fix things.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If you can't access your paycheck history, you can take their ass to small claims court... and they also can't fire you for doing so, then you have a wrongful termination case against them. You only want to be paid what you are owed.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

There are plenty of other entry level jobs that require no experience and have lesser degrees of nonsense. Contact a temp agency or find a call center type work.