1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Not Again) New Rockets logo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Mar 9, 2012.

?

How should a new Rockets logo be approached?

1. Just bring back the red and yellow

20.5%
  2. Modern version of the championship years

48.7%
  3. Smiley dildo please

2.6%
  4. Stick with the current

7.7%
  5. Something new and fresh

20.5%
  1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I like #4. It needs something else to work, but it's a really good start.

Here's an idea: Start with #4. Make the lettering red. Remove the "Houston". Then around the basketball (leaving the Saturn rings) add, "Houston Basketball Club". See how that goes.

2. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

yes! these look pretty nice...now just add these to dream2franchise's jerseys and they would be perfect!

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Only saying this as feedback,

I think you need to go more outside the box than mash up/tweak existing logos.

It's tough to do, but I think any new logo needs to be original. It can draw inspiration from the past, but ultimately it needs to be new artwork.

4. onreego

onreego Member

I appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely consider this as I work on a second round.

5. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

I kinda like our current one..whats wrong with it?

6. onreego

onreego Member

Personally, I don't feel like its a timeless logo. Much like the Celtics, Lakers, or Knicks I feel like the Rocket's history creates a persona of the team that deserves something that will last. Something that doesn't need much adjusting years down the road. Those 3 teams I named, their logos are classic and really haven't changed with the exception of a few tweaks.

7. chosans

chosans Member

i like the 3rd one the best; draws the most attention.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

none of these make me all tingly inside. sorry.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My suggestion would be to try and eliminate any lines running behind the letters. Wether it be by placement of the words or by simply cutting off the lines that go through the words, I think it'll help make it easier to read.

For your next round, I would try and subtly modernize the championship logo. The Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks all look like they haven't changed their logos for years. But if you compare their logos today with decades ago logos, you would be able to tell the difference.

The one thing that they've done to keep things fresh is update secondary logos. That would also be a fun project to allow you to put your creative print

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Looks silverish on the lettering - looks more like a dull pastel blue on the larger areas... at any rate - colors need to be more vibrant and eye catching.. personally, i'd prefer a rich yellow rather than actual mustard...

Color scheme wise, the third one is the best - with the black lettering - far bolder / not so much washing out of the white..

#30 kjayp, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  11. onreego

onreego Member

Well, that is my goal with this project. To design something you all would like to represent the team. All the constructive criticism is definitely appreciated and helpful in leading towards that.

12. Houston22

Houston22 Member

13. onreego

onreego Member

Thanks for the suggestions. That is what I want for our team in regards to those other teams. The secondary logo is surely a good idea.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

lack originality, and look amateurish.

i see a sticky for this kind of stuff coming soon. dream2franchise was a one-off success-wise.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right on. I think as the last logo thread proved, it will be difficult to please everybody. But you should be able to please a majority.

Of the current NBA logos: http://www.sportslogos.net/league.php?id=6

I personally find the new Warriors logo to be pretty nice, but I understand a lot of people thought it was a step in the wrong direction. But there are a number of classic logos in there that just seem better than the Rockets: Hawks, Bulls, Grizzlies, Heat, Thunder, Sixers.

Looking forward to the next batch!

16. onreego

onreego Member

Glad you said that, because that is another goal in this for me. To possibly use this as a personal development for my skills in branding.

17. Handles

Handles Member

The bulls and heat logos are sick. No matter where you are in the country people are sporting their gear. I understand a lot of this has to do with "the big three" and drose but I think it also has to do with the fact that their team "mascot" more or less is actually represented in the logo rather than just the name in letters. I think you should try to incorporate a rocket into the logo. Something modern to go with the sleek look of dream franchise's jerseys.

The timeless look is great. Lakers, celtics, and knicks pull it off beautifully. This is not a knock on our franchise at all but I don't think we have the rich and known history that those teams do to pull of the timeless look. The old school stuff looks amazing to us but thats because we're true fans of the team. 75% of the people out there rocking bulls hats for example arent true fans. In order for your logos to win over the crowd they have to appeal to NBA fans as a whole, not just us rockets fans. And NBA fans don't salivate over our glory days like we do haha. In fact, they think our championships were flukes because of mj's retirement.

We have to make our history known to the NBA starting now. In order to do that we need jerseys and a logo that is fresh and modern. Incorporate a rocket into it. This is dangerous cause its hard to do without making it look cheesy but if done right, I think it would be a game changer.

I want to see famous rappers wearing rockets caps haha. If you can make a logo like that, our brand will blow up.

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I'm sorry but let the guy who did the jerseys design a logo that fits his jerseys. Forget about the Ketchup and mustard, our alternates are bad enough, and I'm sorry to say, those logos are terrible. It's time for something new and the logo to me is fine.

19. onreego

onreego Member

By all means if he wants to create his own logo, that is fine with me. If you read my original post then you would have seen that I said perhaps we could pull our ideas together. I in no way said that I was making this based off of his uniform design. I respect your opinion that you are fine with the current logo and that is why I put the poll in. Personally, I believe calling to the old logo is step towards making it timeless.

Again, thanks for your opinion.